It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Critics Unite to Pan Bush Budget

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Good Find Dawnstar. Thanks.

Wonder how many more of these little goodies are running around...

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Still doesn't top NY State BORROWING an outrageous sum of money to build a replica of Gov. Pataki's ancestral home though......and we have laws requiring them to let us vote on any projects that require them borrowing the money to do....they just found a way to circumvent them.....

-------------------------------
"Gov. George Pataki's mother pronounced "It's a great day for the Irish" when she cut a ribbon at the Michael J. Quill Irish Cultural & Sports Centre's new Irish Park in 2001.

Officials at the Quill Centre - who received $350,000 in money borrowed by the state - hope the governor will visit next year.

That's when they plan to build a replica of the Pataki ancestral cottage. The governor's maternal grandmother lived in a cottage in Ireland for her first three years, said Kenneth Dudley, president of the Quill Centre's board of directors.

Dudley said the Quill Centre intends to seek government grants and to raise money on its own to pay for the Pataki ancestral cottage. "

www.syracuse.com...
--------------------------------------------------

I don't think the politician knows the value of the money they spend......they act like it grows on trees our ancestors planted in select spots, like Albany and DC, and they can just go pick whatever they want when ever they want it.......

Would love to know where they think they will come up with it when it's time to pay the piper, most of the good paying jobs seem to be heading for the hills, or to the cheap/slave labor overseas. That has to cut into the tax revenues....especially since the ones who seem to be making out are the ones rich enough to find the good lawyers and accoutants that will help them come up with ways to avoid paying most of the taxes they owe.

Seems to me, that if they were really hurting for money, they would be cutting out some of the lamb-brained schemes like these.

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by dawnstar

Would love to know where they think they will come up with it when it's time to pay the piper, most of the good paying jobs seem to be heading for the hills, or to the cheap/slave labor overseas. That has to cut into the tax revenues....especially since the ones who seem to be making out are the ones rich enough to find the good lawyers and accoutants that will help them come up with ways to avoid paying most of the taxes they owe.

By the time this is done, maybe quite soon, they will own all our natural resources, all our land, our homes and futures. ...We will be right back where we were when Braveheart and Rob Roy did their things.

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 11:03 AM
link   
The only thing that is authorized is national defense.

EVERY single penny other than military spending is unconstitutional and should be CUT. Every F....ing penny.

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrHoracid

EVERY single penny other than military spending is unconstitutional and should be CUT. Every F....ing penny.

Which is why they're funding the corporate takeover of the USA through the military budget. And cutting everything else. Ane putting national lands and resources on the block at fire sale prices.

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrHoracid

umm....let's see, the constitution gives the federal government the responsibility of controlling interstate, and international commerce, ensure the rights of all the citizens of all states, make treaties with foreign nations, ensure copywrights, and a few other things, so, it's not just national defense, although I agree that they are meddling in things that they shouldn't be. But, well, how is spending another $80 billion or whatever in Iraq a matter of national defense?
And, I would argue that since our government was one of the main producers of all these biological weapons (National defense) that they say the terrorists are threatening us with, well, people having access to the healthcare system IS A MATTER OF NATIONAL DEFENSE!! I think the problem lays with the fact that the people can't agree with just what one would consider "national defense" or "good for the welfare of the people".

For instance, it isn't good for the welfare of the people for the industries to be allowed to throw whatever they like into our environment or our products without some sort of oversight from somewhere, so yes, they do have a right to regulate pollutants and determine that the food we eat doesn't contain deadly chemicals in them.

But, well, I'm just a crazy old lady, who loves a good saga, and ya, I would love to see the government just drop all of these extra things they are involved in......the tax credits and handouts designed to put hotels in areas containing 20 or so hotels, the student grants and loans, the money of the medical research, the agricultural subsidies, medicaid, medicare, EVERY THING!!
I can guess what some of the effects would be...like....

The politicians would see it as hey, more money for our national defense, pay raises, ect.....not all the money that was saved through the cuts would make it back into the economy through savings in taxes.

Employees, facing the cuts in their hud, food stamps, medicaid, whatever, would demand pay raises.

Some companies would give them the raises, if they can, some won't be able to. Some companies might even come up with ingenious plans where they offer housing and meals (cafeteria style), and well, thus get away with paying their employees less.....(this will be easier to do once the realestate depreciates because the renters don't have the rent, mortgage payments aren't made, ect.

eventually, people will find them selves homeless, hungry, or getting sicker, riots will probably begin.

Landlords, healthcare facilities, the food industry, the energy companies, and any other industry that has recieved benefits from the government programs or depended on the government to "help" the poor pay for their services will see a decrease in revenue, rental properties will become vacant or the landlord will have to take alot less, many rental units will go up for sale. Doctors, nurses, and others in the healthcare field will be laid off, ect. Business wouldn't be able to carry on without their low cost labor.

In other words, be careful for what you wish for, at least think about it a little bit.....because I think chaos would be the result!

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 10:13 AM
link   

And, I would argue that since our government was one of the main producers of all these biological weapons (National defense) that they say the terrorists are threatening us with, well, people having access to the healthcare system IS A MATTER OF NATIONAL DEFENSE!!

Excellent post dawnstar.

I cut and pasted my favorite part.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Has everyone noticed the decline in the stock market yesterday?
At first, I thought this was due to the rise in oil prices....but...well, I ran across this gem today.....
--------------------------------------
Stocks Drop as Oil Surges, Dollar Slides

story.news.yahoo.com.../nm/20050222/bs_nm/markets_stocks_dc

"But crude was the main focus during the session, climbing to a 15-week high amid cold winter weather in Europe and the United States, stoking fears that higher energy costs will hurt corporate profits and curb consumer spending.

The dollar also weighed on markets as the greenback suffered its biggest intraday fall against the euro since August. South Korea's central bank said on Monday it planned to diversify its reserves, the world's fourth largest, into a greater variety of currencies.

The move by South Korea fueled speculation that other central banks would follow suit. Fears of a weaker dollar diminishes foreign investors' appetite for U.S. assets. "
------------------------------------
If we ran our personal finances the way our government is running the countries, no bank on this earth would be willing to loan us money. Well, it seems that those who finance our government is beginning to feel the same way towards us. What will they do when everyone begins to see our treasury bonds the same way as the banks see our loan applications? Do you think they will then trim their appetites and finally begin to make the cuts needed to stabalize the economy, or will they just jack up the taxes, and continue on their merry way???

Those who think our deficits are insignificant, in my opinion are fools....or maybe being paid by the same government agencies that hired reporters to spread their propaganda....I don't know.

But, well, I think there is a rough road ahead for us....

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Has everyone noticed the decline in the stock market yesterday?
At first, I thought this was due to the rise in oil prices....but...well, I ran across this gem today.....
--------------------------------------
Stocks Drop as Oil Surges, Dollar Slides

story.news.yahoo.com.../nm/20050222/bs_nm/markets_stocks_dc

But, well, I think there is a rough road ahead for us....

Excellent find Dawnstar. Thanks. ...That's the real problem with the size of our debt - once everyone starts pulling out of using US currency, the dollar's down to the peso's level - and our debt is unimaginably huge.

Ouch.

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 02:42 AM
link   
The President's FY 2006 Budget is in a bunch of chunks.
These are from the one called "Savings" (PDF 237 pages).
All figures are millions.

Page 104. State, Local and Hospital Bioterrism Preparedness Grants.
Down to 1280 from 1418 ("savings" of 138 )
Includes explanation that reduction is called for since the previous budget wasn't based on: "...a strong scientific rationale..."

[and I thought there was no place for strong scientific rationale in this administration or in our schools]

Page 105. Housing for Persons with Disabilities.
Down to 120 from 238 ("savings" of 118)
Funds are included for about a thousand new vouchers.

[I thought we were generating many times that many new disabled veterans each year in Iraq - seems like they forgot that when they slashed this in half.]

Page 112. Federal Bureau of Prisons Construction Program
Negative 144 from 189 ("Savings" of 333)
Explanation is that prison crowding will drop to 35%
from 39% by the end of 2005.

[Doesn't it need to get to 0% before we stop building?]

Page 114. Juvenile Justice Law Enforcement Assistance Programs
Down to 198 from 321 ("savings" of 123)
Explanation is that Juvenile crime has fallen.

[Doesn't that mean the program was working?]

Page 156. Management Headquarters Services
Budget Authority figures listed do not crossfoot.
Total shown for 2006-11 is 20,631
Total of detail listed is 20,361.

[Obviously a transposition somewhere - who checks these?]

Page 158. Contractor Services.
Budget Authority figures listed do no crossfoot.
Total shown for 2006-11 is 88,600
Total of detail (43,213 & 45,500) is 88,713

[my favorite follows]

In both the second and third paragraph the word
"rationalization" appears, where (I think) they mean "rationing"

Here are the sentences as they appear:

"DOD is currently studying the support that military services receive from contractors and anticipates that greater rationalization of such use can provide savings."

"Greater rationalization of the use of contractor services will allow the Department to focus resources where they can best contribute to our national security."

[This would be really funny if it weren't also probably true.]

Page 160. Expeditionary Fighting Vehicle
Budget Authority figures listed do not crossfoot.
Total shown for 2006-11 is 5,387
Total of detail shown is 5,072

Page 163. Wind Corrected Munitions Dispenser Extended Range
Budget Authority figures do not crossfoot
Total shown for 2006-11 is 463
Total of detail shown is 404

Program is discontinued for a FY 2006 "savings" of 47.
Explanation is that there is a decreasing requirement
for these tail kits that correct for high winds, etc.

[May explain high collateral damage figures in Iraq.]

Page 164. Joint Common Missile
Total shown for 2006-11 is 2,539
Total of detail shown is 2,386

Page 165. Virginia Class Submarines
Total shown for 2006-11 is 26,320
Total of detail shown is 23,777

Page 166. DD(X) Destroyers
Total shown for 2006-11 is 16,432
Total of detail shown is 16,036

Page 167. LPD-17 Amphibious Transport Dock
Total shown for 2006-11 is 4,955
Total of detail shown is 4,955

Page 168. C-130J Airlift Aircraft
Proposed Savings figures do no crossfoot
Total shown for 2006-11 is -4,997
Total of detail shown is -2,383

[Pretty easy to figure out that detail for FY 2010 is just missing "-"But, hey, how arrogant do you have to be to not even proofread your documents before you have them published?]

Page 171. Joint Unmanned Combat Air System Program
Total shown for 2006-11 is 4,580
Total of detail shown is 5,096

Page 172. Future Combat Systems
Total shown for 2006-11 is 37,661
Total of detail shown is 34,463

[OK. So a lot of those are the same kind of mistake, but the other 25 of them on pages 155 thru 172 footed just fine.]

Page 185. Federal Student Aid
Student loan reforms figures do not crossfoot
Total shown for 2006-10 is -11,269
Total of detail shown is -11,828

Page 187. Power Marketing Administration (PMAs)
Baseline outlays 2006 thru 2006-10 are neg. & should be pos.

[That's all the publication mistakes I noticed. I'll look around and see if there's a better place for sharing the logic flaws and self-contradictory statements. Hope you found this worth reading.]

[I think I confused the system - it thinks the long list of mistakes is a news article and is giving me a warning. Oh well, I'm not going to change the format now - I'll know better next time.]

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Excellent contribution Lazymind - thank you. Had a few good chuckles, balanced the rising BP. lol

<< 1  2  3   >>

join