It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are aircarft designed with destruction in mind?

page: 1

join
share:
RAB

posted on Aug, 6 2017 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Hi guys and girls,

It a very sad fact of life that sometimes aircraft are shotdown or go down in a hot zone.

So my question is are aircraft designed to destroy the import / sensitive elements during being destroyed?

I.e. Magnesium heat sinks on the main processors to increase the chance of the resulting fire destroying the chips? And maybe other measures.

Just a slight random Sunday afternoon type question :-)

RAB

posted on Aug, 6 2017 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: RAB

When a US aircraft crashes in hostile territory AND it contains classified information or technology AND its deemed too risky for personnel on the ground, we bomb the s..t of the debris field just to make sure nothing is compromised.

posted on Aug, 6 2017 @ 11:02 AM
link   
a reply to: RAB

As said, they try to bomb the hell out of it. The F-117 in Yugoslavia is a good example. They got to it too quickly to destroy it, and a good bit of interesting technology made it out of the country.

posted on Aug, 6 2017 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I wonder how far behind Russia/China would be on the tech if that hadn't happened...?

posted on Aug, 6 2017 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I've often wondered how hard it would be to include a predator-style self destruct on military aircraft.

It would need to be self contained enough to still work after a crash, and give enough warning that it could be disarmed if it decided to go off... But it would certainly respond quicker than sending in bombers.

posted on Aug, 6 2017 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

Well, it's obviously too hard for the previous administration who landed a fully functional, perfectly intact drone in Iran..

And we didn't bomb it nor force them to return...

Iran had months to study it...and presumably reverse engineer most, if not all, components.

-Chri

posted on Aug, 6 2017 @ 11:51 AM
link   

The problem with self destruct systems is that they occasionally go off when you don't want them to. Then you end up having to send a major response to Needles, California and recovering all the little bits of your classified aircraft that are now scattered all over the countryside for anyone to pick up.

posted on Aug, 6 2017 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Christosterone

Well, it's obviously too hard for the previous administration who landed a fully functional, perfectly intact drone in Iran..

And we didn't bomb it nor force them to return...

Iran had months to study it...and presumably reverse engineer most, if not all, components.

-Chri

Please remember they some how pirated the drone
to get it to land.

posted on Aug, 6 2017 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: SmilingROB

They spoofed the GPS. They left a few holes in the system when they developed several UAVs. They made some assumptions about signals and how hard it would be to spoof them and missed the mark by a lot.

posted on Aug, 6 2017 @ 06:03 PM
link   
During WW2 they used half a stick of dynamite that was wired into the SD system near the radio/IFF rack.Also a flare gun fired into the cockpit or open fuel tanks would do the job.Im sure today they have a system fry command that operates when they hit the ejection handles.Also the ejection seat rocket motor makes a mess in the cockpit.

posted on Aug, 6 2017 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

No, they don't. Nine times out of ten as soon as the seat is gone, the drag from the open cockpit, and weight and balance change puts the aircraft out of control, or in some cases, more out of control and the systems don't survive impact.

posted on Aug, 6 2017 @ 09:14 PM
link   

While there are no self-destructive explosives onboard fighter aircraft, there is a data-zeroization feature designed to prevent the enemy from downloading sensitive data.

My bad..

Behind Enemy Lines lied to me..

top topics

join