It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump holding meetings with religious leaders

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Should Trump be legitimizing them?

Legitimizing them? What, you think Trump should try and "De- Legitimize" people of faith?

70 - 80 percent of the population isn't "legitimized" by a politician, I'd say the reverse would be more likely to be true. No?

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: burgerbuddy

I know, right!?

They are not like muslims who living it up to the letter of their koran.

lol . . . Cheers

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 06:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lagomorphe

originally posted by: Painterz
180-odd days in office, 40 of them spent at the golf course. So that's what, about 22% of his time as President he's spent playing golf?

Three times as much holiday as Obama.

13 of his 28 weekends at Mar El Lago instead of in the office working.

It's amazing he has any time for meetings with anybody given all the leisure time he's taking.

What do you do on your weekends after a week of work?

Hmmm..

"believe me, believe me"

a reply to: CB328

Trump should be trying to fix that instead of playing.

As he said he would do. But he's a liar, as many of us know.

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: imwilliam
reading the article in the op, I dare say that he's had more meeting with christians so they can voice their concerns, than he or the congress has had with the American Medical Association, ARP, the hospital groups or healthcare providers while they were trying to fix healthcare, or probably any other segment of the population!!

Moore asserted that as time goes on, there "will be more" of these types of meetings between administration officials and the faith leaders.

"What I understand is they intend on inviting lots and lots and lots of leaders to listening sessions among various constituencies," Moore said. "There will be more of them. They want this to be people's house and they want to make sure there is no problem getting in touch with them and expressing points of view and those points of view are taken into account."

Floyd agreed there will be "deeper engagement" between the White House and faith leaders.

www.christianpost.com...

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 06:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: imwilliam

Should Trump be legitimizing them?

Legitimizing them? What, you think Trump should try and "De- Legitimize" people of faith?

70 - 80 percent of the population isn't "legitimized" by a politician, I'd say the reverse would be more likely to be true. No?

There are many denominations in the USA and they all conflict each other.

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

Pretty clear. They are not to make any law favoring a religion over others. If I am wrong then are you saying that they can make laws based on Sharia law?

The Founding Fathers' original intent was actually to prevent one Christian denomination from ruling over others in government.

Yeah, so what? None of that impacts anything I've said here.

None of that prevents religious people from making political decisions or taking political positions based on their faith. And, it doesn't prevent a politician from engaging with representatives of what he perceives to be a , dare I say A HUGE, voting block, even though it's a religious one.

That we don't, at least in theory, trample the rights of minorities in this country is worthy of applause. But this notion that we should ignore the majority, exclude them from the process, create some sort of tyranny of the minority and the weak . . . well that' just ludicrous and quite frankly, evil.

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

I dare say that he's had more meeting with christians so they can voice their concerns, than he or the congress has had with the American Medical Association, ARP, the hospital groups or healthcare providers while they were trying to fix healthcare, or probably any other segment of the population!!

Well you may dare, but not I, at least not until I see some facts that this is the case. And even then . . . there's more factors to consider before drawing any conclusions, well at least rational ones

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 06:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm
I don't want to frighten you or anything, but those are exactly the people who he is listening to. Mega Church Leaders and Prosperity Gospel Scammers make up a large part of the people who he associates with. As well as the leaders of Religious Legal Institutions and Propagandists.

He's not meeting with any small town humble pastors or anything. He's meeting with the super wealthy influential ones.

I know, that's why I used the example. I would actually like to see Trump meet with some small town pastors of various faiths from cities big and small. It wouldn't bother me in the least.

The mega church people on the other hand, I have a big problem with because they're just another form of religious extremist, and among the worst type of morally reprehensible people. When Trump is learning about religious viewpoints from the leaders of churches who tell sick people to send in their money for medicine and that God will cure them instead... to say it pisses me off is an understatement. Those people should be in jail, not having meetings with political leaders.

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Who said we should ignore the majority? We have no problem with Christians holding political offices.

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Trump should call them what they are. The people he met with are scam artists and extremists. They're human scum.

Picking some small church pastors, a bishop or two, maybe a cardinal, and talking to them? I have no problem with that, though I would hope he expands his scope beyond just Christianity. Talking to mega church leaders though? That's a problem.

And for the record, I'm one of those loosely affiliated religious people. I follow Buddhism because I like it's perspective on life, but I'm not a fan of the Dali Lama, and I don't believe in reincarnation.

Again, there's nothing wrong in talking to people about religion. Some of my favorite historical figures like Pascal, Galileo, Newton, Descartes, and Leibniz were religious (and mostly Christian). However, care should be taken in who is represented. Small town pastors are going to give you a better feeling for what is taught and believed on a local level than these mega church and political faith peddlers are going to be able to tell you.

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 07:04 PM
link   

That said, considering there's a branch of Christians who think Trump is a moral and righteous leader their credibility has been completely and utterly shot.

Whose credibility? Everyone that identifies as Christian, or just the ones that "think Trump is a moral and righteous leader"? What percentage of Christians do you think believe that "Trump is a moral and righteous leader"? What percentage do you think consider him to be some sort of Messiah?

I'm asking, I don't know. I have seen these people on TV, might have heard one talking like that in the booth behind me at lunch today, but I don't personally know any Christians that thing Trump is a paragon of virtue, certainly no one that thinks of him as a "Messiah"

I know more than a few that thought, wow, anybody but Hillary. Some that thought, we'll toss Trump into the mix to shake things up. But no one that admired his virtue, his nobility, or anything of the like.

So tell, me what are the percentages of Christians that idolize Trump, that worship him as some sort of Messiah. I'm sure there are some, but beyond that, I'm guessing not many.

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 07:05 PM
link   

how have they ever been excluded from the process? christians have one vote, just like every one else, they can write to their representatives, just like everyone else, what the heck, a person can't even be elected into high office, unless they at least pretend to be christian it seems!!
so now, trump is meeting many groups of christians it sounds like, many, many meetings.... so that the christian leaders can voice their concerns!! what the heck concerns do the christians have??? I seem to pass about ten churches just on my way to the city, which is only a 15 minute ride... their right to gather in worship doesn't seem to be an issue!! their right to knock on my door and urge me to attend their church seems to take precedence over my right to be able to not have to painfully walk to the door and open it for them! name me one concern that they have that doesn't involve meddling in how other people live their lives or in some way denying others the rights that the rest of us take for granted!!!

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Small town pastors are going to give you a better feeling for what is taught and believed on a local level than these mega church and political faith peddlers are going to be able to tell you.

The criticism in the OP was that the people were religious, not that they were "bad" religious people. That's a different argument. I'm not arguing that "bad" religious people, however we define "bad" should have the presidents ear, just that people shouldn't be excluded from having the presidents ear because they're religious. Or that being religious necessarily makes someone bad.

As for televangelists, I don't watch them, as for Mega Churchs, I don't attend one, neither of which is by accident.

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 07:16 PM
link   

how many are devout followers of these people??

to me they are crossing the line, possibly even lying to their viewers, to benefit their preferred political candidate..
they should have the tax exemptions revoked!!

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 07:19 PM
link   

name me one concern that they have that doesn't involve meddling in how other people live their lives or in some way denying others the rights that the rest of us take for granted!!!

So, they shouldn't be allowed to pursue their concerns, advocate for their positions, unless you think their positions, their concerns are legitimate?

It's good that Christians are a majority in the US. If they weren't I believe many of you would be gladly throwing us to the lions

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 07:21 PM
link   

There may be a majority of Christians but there are many denominations. One does not speak for others. That is the original intent of the First Amendment.

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

There may be a majority of Christians but there are many denominations. One does not speak for others. That is the original intent of the First Amendment.

Again, so what? You want to broaden the topic beyond anything that can be reasonably expected to be productive, why? Are you purposely trying to obfuscate?

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 07:28 PM
link   

What do you mean? How am I trying to obfuscate? Do the evangelical Christians of the Fundamentalist variety speak for the majority of Christians? Do the millionaire pastors of megachurches speak for the majority of Christians? Do Pence and Ted Cruz who believe in the Dominion Theology speak for the majority of Christians?

edit on 8/7/2017 by Deaf Alien because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 07:29 PM
link   

That said, considering there's a branch of Christians who think Trump is a moral and righteous leader their credibility has been completely and utterly shot.

Whose credibility? Everyone that identifies as Christian, or just the ones that "think Trump is a moral and righteous leader"? What percentage of Christians do you think believe that "Trump is a moral and righteous leader"? What percentage do you think consider him to be some sort of Messiah?

I'm asking, I don't know. I have seen these people on TV, might have heard one talking like that in the booth behind me at lunch today, but I don't personally know any Christians that thing Trump is a paragon of virtue, certainly no one that thinks of him as a "Messiah"

I know more than a few that thought, wow, anybody but Hillary. Some that thought, we'll toss Trump into the mix to shake things up. But no one that admired his virtue, his nobility, or anything of the like.

So tell, me what are the percentages of Christians that idolize Trump, that worship him as some sort of Messiah. I'm sure there are some, but beyond that, I'm guessing not many.

I've seen quite a few polls on the subject. The right used to believe you could only be president with a strong moral character. A Republican without that won, and they did complete flip flops to excuse it. You have people at Trump rallies holding signs saying "Thank Jesus for Trump". On the radio today, I heard someone (a guest, not the host) say that God blesses our money, because Trump has so much it means he's recieved greater blessings from God.

These people are out there, and they're a significant group among Trump supporters.

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Frank Amedia. Trumps Christian policy advisor. The same guy who likes to tell his story about how he, with Gods help of course, stopped a Tsunami from hitting land where his daughter was while she was on the phone with him.

Because it's always good to have a Wizard that thinks they can control the weather as an advisor to the President.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join