It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Find exoplanets with a videogame

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2017 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Hi everybody! The other day I noticed there is a new way anybody can find exoplanets, through a videogame, so I decided to make a video:

youtu.be...

Have you already played the game?

posted on Aug, 5 2017 @ 08:04 PM
link   
thats a pretty childish way to do serious work
also admins wrong forum

posted on Aug, 5 2017 @ 09:08 PM
link   
a reply to: alfa015

Im struggling to reason why this is in the aliens/ufo forum...???

posted on Aug, 5 2017 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Can we get a long other than you tube?
The name of the game, maybe?
How it works?

... Anything?

posted on Aug, 5 2017 @ 10:35 PM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

The link is in the first 15 seconds of the vid if you want to spend 15 seconds....

b

posted on Aug, 5 2017 @ 11:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bspiracy

The link is in the first 15 seconds of the vid if you want to spend 15 seconds....

b

Not all of us can watch YouTube.

I'm genuinely interested in using video games as Mass compute power- there are far too many people screwing around, they could be helping humanity instead.

I think there's something in the new-thread rules about this sort of thing...
Sorry if you can't be bothered to actually explain what you're talking about to the rest of us.

posted on Aug, 5 2017 @ 11:47 PM
link   

A quick google for exoplanets and videogames suggests it might be about Eve online.

I am with you, bad thread op, you could have given more details. Not everyone can, or even wants to click random yt links.

posted on Aug, 6 2017 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Here's the OPs post on the EVE Online forums also...
forums-archive.eveonline.com...

eta - found a reasonable explanation, maybe it is semi-legit..

www.inverse.com...
edit on 6/8/2017 by badw0lf because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2017 @ 10:59 AM
link   
what the... this thread wasnt been binned yet?

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 07:58 AM
link   
a reply to: humanoidlord

well, citizen scientists have already found exoplanets though similar projects like planet hunters and exoplanet exoplorers

and this one is led by one of the best astrophysics in the field of exoplanets

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 07:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: SecretKnowledge

Im struggling to reason why this is in the aliens/ufo forum...???

I put it here because the project is about looking for potentially habitable exoplanets, let's say, planets that may have extraterrestrial life: aliens

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 08:01 AM
link   

in the mini-game several light curves are shown, the user has to look for drops in the light, each drop may be caused by an exoplanet, so the user have to mark it and send it to the scientists for review, i did a video because it is far easy to explain and far easy to understand by watching a video.
edit on 11-8-2017 by alfa015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 03:26 AM
link   
This guy made a thread about something that is factual and could be important, and you jumped down his throat. Yeah, he could have phrased it better, but not everybody is a forum reg who abides by your peculiar manners.

Here is a basic article about how EVE Online is using gamers to help SETI, from the mainstream:

www.newsweek.com...

"Gamers Are Helping Scientists Discover Exoplanets, And Maybe Even Extraterrestrial Life"

It's the same principle at SETI at home. Same motivations, same great community interest. You would think seekers would welcome this kind of news, but you guys always tear stuff like apart because it doesn't fit your personal mythology. What's that Greg Bishop phrase? The excluded middle?

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 03:47 AM
link   

I haven't played it but have a friend who does , from his explanation of it I don't have the time to invest in it but it sounds like a pretty engrossing game.

The story seems like another example of Citizen scientist aiding the community by doing what they enjoy which can only be a good thing.

One day we will find them.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 06:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Nicorette

Thanks for defending me!

new topics

top topics

join