It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Computer, the Entertainment Industry, and the Degenerating Modern Brain

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2017 @ 05:58 PM
link   
basically computer technology exposes the weakness of our ability to adapt, when the internet stores everything and processes information for us, our brain decides those functions are no longer needed and adapts accordingly.

i always had the suspicion that greys were future humans who look that way because they adapted to technology, or we'll at least look similar one day.

think about what might happen when the brain no longer needs to use space for emotions, physical exertions, food, sex, social interactions, calculations, storing data, survival, war, etc... esp will happen this way one day i bet.

i bet humanity will go on the path of extinction this way too... ai will replace us because our unquenching desire for convenience will destroy us.

posted on Aug, 6 2017 @ 09:51 PM
link   
edit on 6-8-2017 by Talorc because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-8-2017 by Talorc because: Point already made by another user

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 03:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Talorc
a reply to: toysforadults

Very appropriate name for this thread.

I am not a Luddite and I value functional and practical technology. But I mistrust any technology created only for human comfort and ease. Humans aren't meant to live easy lives, just like a dog shouldn't be penned up in a small enclosed space with nothing to do but eat and chew on rubber toys. It will develop numerous pathologies and neurotic behaviors. Humans who live too placidly and comfortably also develop many pathologies.

See population sink and "Mice Utopia" experiment for more information.

Just wantd to post real quick b4 i sleep. thanks for the references. this is something new to chew on.

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 07:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Observationalist

Cash payouts were quickly abandoned as it became clear that pinball and gambling weren’t a comfortable (or legal) match

Lol, the circumvention of morality, is it gambling or 'leisure' (fun)? Interesting bit from your external clip. Thats how I remember it, too.

Penny arcades at boardwalks, to video arcades, to hand held devices, we is hooked.

You don't have to go to vegas anymore, they get the money from the monthly fees and any 'apps'.

Makes sense to start them young. I know when I would play Pinball and I got extended play or extra ball it felt like I won the lottery.

Now the same feeling occurs when you unlock a new level or power up. Heck my kids get all jazzed up just when Minecraft has new updates.

Wen I was a kid my mom used to kick us out the house to go play. "Turn off that TV and go outside." The world ended when I got my first 19 inch B & W TV. The only thing that saved me from insanity in the early video games years was running out of quarters. You couldn't take the machine home, it was too big.

I used to trouble myself to sleep, visions of asteroids and space invaders dancing in my head.

Make sure your kids get their 'outdoors' time.

That you for that historical read as well.

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 07:09 AM
link   
a reply to: namehere

when the internet stores everything and processes information for us, our brain decides those functions are no longer needed and adapts accordingly.

Mmm, lots easer to 'go' online than 'go' to the library.

I find the ease of discovering some factoid or learning something about world events far easier today.

Have a question? Get in car, drive to library, walk inside, go to card index, find subject, list sources, look up books on shelf, read them... (maybe) you'll find your answer... or just hit return.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join