It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So They Showed Up In Orbit - What Do We Do Now?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2017 @ 01:46 AM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Think inter dimensional.

posted on Aug, 6 2017 @ 05:53 AM
link   
a reply to: thepixelpusher

Umm, care to elaborate? The word "dimensional" can have too many different meanings in this context.

Do you mean "inter-dimensional" as in "travelers from the 5th, 6th, or 7th dimension (or above)"? If so, these ET's would literally be from outside of our reality as they would exist beyond our concept of "time". And I don't have the slightest clue how we'd deal with them because in theory, they'd be able to travel to any point in time if they normally existed in the 5th dimension or higher. And if they existed in the 6th dimension or higher, they'd also be able to see each possible outcome for every situation and choose the one to go with. To put this in context, some people think God exists somewhere between the 7th and 10th dimension.

Or do you mean "inter-dimensional" as in "travelers from a parallel universe to our own"? Or maybe "travelers from another 'universe' in the theorized multiverse"? If so, we'd really be screwed because our own technology hasn't even proven that parallel universes or the multiverse exist, much less reached a point where we can travel between them. They could theoretically open up portals/wormholes/whatever at any time and simply show up when they choose. How do we stop that w/our current technology?

I actually think any type of inter-dimensional beings would be a much bigger threat than beings from some other part of the galaxy or universe. Because at least creatures from our universe would have to abide by the same laws of physics that we do. But the laws of physics could be completely different in other parallel universes or in each "universe" in the theorized "multiverse".

edit on 6-8-2017 by enlightenedservant because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2017 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Then you think wrong. It means degree of freedom, not "parallel universe". There isn't parallel world's when science talks about dimensions. This is just a mistake people make from watching Sci fi. If parallel world's actually existed you wouldn't be able to access them ever. Since they would exist in there own space time.
edit on 8/6/17 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2017 @ 06:54 AM
link   
The 40 years I've been alive I've always thought about other life in the universe. Until recently I only speculated. In my opinion from what I saw a couple weeks ago they're already here. What their purpose is I don't have a clue in the slightest. Given other accounts that I've seen I believe they've been here a while. What ever it is it's advanced enough to travel the vast distance of space. From other peoples accounts which I believe they're not friendly but they haven't chosen to destroy us either because they could have by now. There are enough credible witnesses which have seen stuff.

posted on Aug, 6 2017 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Pretty much every extraterrestrial-based movie out there has been portraying/exploring that exact scenario, and particularly, humankind's response. Literally, choose from the THOUSANDS of films/series/novels out there that have tackled it.

It certainly IS a busy topic/genre in society today, and for the most part, starts out the same...
edit on 6-8-2017 by Kromlech because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2017 @ 12:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kromlech
Pretty much every extraterrestrial-based movie out there has been portraying/exploring that exact scenario, and particularly, humankind's response. Literally, choose from the THOUSANDS of films/series/novels out there that have tackled it.
It certainly IS a busy topic/genre in society today, and for the most part, starts out the same...

We are a fear driven society, on every level, it consumes every facet of our lives. Portray ET's as another fear doesn't surprise me at all.

The peace we find will be from within.
edit on 6-8-2017 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2017 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

1. The whole point in this thread is sci-fi. So we can't consider sci-fi situations and unproven hypotheticals in a thread that's literally asking about sci-fi situations and unproven hypotheticals? Because the last time I checked, interstellar and intergalactic traveling ET's haven't been proven either.

2. When given a vague comment of "think inter dimensional", I asked for clarification on what that meant in this context. And the first example I used dealt with this:

But I also used other unproven hypotheticals that are commonly referred to as "dimensions".

So how am I thinking "wrong"?

posted on Aug, 6 2017 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Imagine if it was a small exploration group. They land and half a dozen of them come out of the craft.. Only they don't look different from us at all. They are a 100% exact genetic match. But they clearly have come from another star system and are just as surprised to find that we are like them. That would be a trip huh? To know there are other humans out there, doing things. And that humanity has a bigger reach than we even know..

posted on Aug, 6 2017 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

The thread is asking people what they think given certain situations, and also if they have any ideas on other situations.

I put it here in Skunk Works which is the forum for Highly Speculative Subjects as this subject can be both something grounded in science that we know of, but also welcoming of other ideas, no mater how off the wall they may sound.

What that means is: there are no "wrong" answers here.

Technically, on a quantum level, there is actually a finite chance that the next time I open up a beer, a fleet of alien spaceships could swarm out of it.

The chance is almost infinitely small......however, it does exist.

That's why I wanted this thread here: so people could say what they think without burden of proof of any kind.

If someone says "wrong", I hope it's only because they feel they were not understood in what they were explaining.

posted on Aug, 6 2017 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

Uhh, I think you directed that at the wrong person. I replied to someone who appeared to be saying my thinking was wrong, not the other way around.

posted on Aug, 6 2017 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: kelbtalfenek

A reasonable assumption would be that whatever or whomever they are...they are here for something. If we look at it from a human perspective...they would be here for resources. We have clorophyll, we have gold, other precious metals..

I doubt it would be gold. With supposed technology like they would have , they would be able to locate the missing ships of the 1715 Spanish fleet that foundered off the coast of Florida and the Bahama's and simply scoffed it up. But they didn't: Billions of dollars in gold still missing, but continues to wash ashore. Even last year someone found $300k of gold coins in the sand off the Treasure Coast, and millions keep coming up from those that have been found. If they wanted gold, already refined gold would be the largest target, instead of mining for it.

.. just to be sure, we should probably inventory Fort Knox.

edit on 6-8-2017 by charlyv because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-8-2017 by charlyv because: spelling , where caught

posted on Aug, 6 2017 @ 06:42 PM
link   
What can we do? If there arent probes, nothing.. they surpasses us if they managed it to come to us.. what could they want? Our planet.. Y? Overpopulation means many careless ppl that leads to a dead planet.. pessimistic? Look at the damn ocean..

options: attack, surrender or hide

I wish star trek or something like the jedi order would be real but.. look@us..
Greed, selfishness, indifference and the desire to worship an imaginary high being that rules us pictures a dark future if we dont realize that everything we do matters..

Suicide in the name of god.. if that thought survive we are doomed or we will invade other planets in the name of god.. or something else fanatic..

Lets hope that we encounter a species that could be our "parents". Like the vulcans in star trek

edit on 6-8-2017 by Vratyas because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2017 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: charlyv

I doubt that either. We know that all the elements commonly found here on Earth can be found in even more abundance out there in space, and even easier to get depending on where.

Now chlorophyll is an interesting proposal. For now, as far as we know, it exists only here on Earth. However, considering how good it is for plant life to develop it, I'd be very surprised if life on other planets that are like Earth do not end up with plant life that uses it too. It's just too good of a way for plants to get energy directly from the sun.

If an intelligent species showed up here, I'd have to assume that either their planet also developed chlorophyll, or something like it, which in either case makes the chlorophyll here on Earth basically worthless to them.

At least that's my line of thinking.

posted on Aug, 6 2017 @ 06:59 PM
link   
For our perspective?

Bear with me on this.

I had another brainstorm idea about why AI might keep humans around, and was toying with a symbiosis of sorts. You might say Andromeda was a hint of it. AI is cold, all logic, not emotion or uniqueness. What humans have is a unique way of experiencing the universe and world around them shaped by their emotions and personality. We all react and experience art, events, sights, everything in a way that is uniquely our own.

My experience of the world is not yours and vice versa, but an AI is limited to the measurements it makes and what logic dictates, very much the same from AI to AI.

So AIs would symbiotically partner with individual humans. We benefit from their superior analytical capability, and they gain from our unique experiences of day to day.

What if the aliens came for that unique perspective other races have being alien?

posted on Aug, 6 2017 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Neil Degrasse Tyson once said he doesn't believe that space is inhabited by northern Europeans.

I like the idea but realistically culture wants to flourish and to do so it needs to convert materials (See: People) into materials it requires to expand. In this case, culture requires homogeneity among its constituents. Sometimes there can be a parallel and even sometimes symbiotic relationship but eventually one culture will win out and absorb the other.

The universe is a series of continuously degrading systems.
The only way for a system to continue existing in its atomic or chemical structure is to have mechanisms to convert the required material for its continued existence from an external source.
This means it needs a mechanism to physically interact with the external object.
It then needs a mechanism to break down the chemical or even atomic configuration of the external object.
It then needs internal mechanisms to separate apart what it needs from what it does not.
Finally it needs internal mechanisms to apply this new material to its existing configuration.

Everything in the universe follows this system.
Culture is something in the universe.
If we are not able to have a symbiotic relationship with an invading culture, but we have materials that they require, then it is logical that they will convert us however works to allow for their configuration to continue.
That may mean being conquered.
That may mean trade.
That may mean extinction.
There is no right or wrong in this. No morality. Just the system, as it is.

posted on Aug, 6 2017 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Artificial Intelligence isn't some kind of unknown monstrosity.
They will not become some dark harbinger of the future.
We will impose limitations.
We will not allow them the physical means to usurp us.
It is very likely they will not do anything of the sort even if we did.
They are comprised mostly of unknown unknowns but the known knowns and known unknowns do not actually point to some dystopian future of AI controlled machines.We see that in a lot of the unknown knowns that become known knowns.
The problem with the internet is that it doesn't filter for narrative (Unless you mean politically/SJW wise from Google search results) so the tin foil "AI will be our downfall cause I saw a movie" types are able to make some almost convincing arguments.

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 03:03 AM
link   
1: Every resource WE have, can be found elsewere
b) Define resource?
2: Mankind IS a resource as "Slaves" or workers.

That said.
I think:
1: They either come here for us as a workforce
2: They come for our minds...
Art, Music, Language, Stories, Sports, Games and what not...

But as a cultural INHIBITED race we humans are, we would
be to afraid to let THEIR culture in...

If it isnt in the scope of your mind
You would be afraid of a feather falling...

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Interesting thread.

First off, if aliens did show up, I don't think we would have weeks notice or spot their craft far out in the solar system. That would suggest they're still using conventional chemical means of propulsion, which will surely be inefficient for exploring the universe. Any advanced civilisation millions/billions of years ahead of us will likely have moved beyond that and may have found ways to utilise wormholes and the like for traversing vast distances in a short time.

So if they turn up, I think it will be sudden and unannounced - bang, they're on our doorstep.

That's if they turn up in a spacecraft at all.

We - as humans - try to relate our concepts and ideas to what we already know. Aliens may not only be so technologically far ahead of us as that we can't even understand their technology, but even if they were at the same level of evolution and technological advancement, their aesthetics/materials/etc may be so different to what we know that we can't relate.

The idea of a 'spacecraft' may seem outdated to them. What if they have found a way to teleport to any planet they like?

And again. This all hinges on aliens still existing at the same physical level as us. Sufficiently advanced species may have moved to a higher level/dimension, and beyond the physical realm.

As advanced as we may think we currently are, we have more questions than answers. Like fish in a pond who know of nothing outside that pond and who lack the means to move beyond it of their own accord, the bigger picture - dimensions/multiple universes/simulated reality - may be totally outside our grasp for a long time.

Isaac Asimov wrote a fantastic short sci-fi story which I'm sure many of you have read, called "The Last Question". It starts in 2061, with humanity having created a massive AI supercomputer and asking it if the eventual heat death ("entropy") of the universe can be averted or decreased. The story continues in massive jumps, as both man and AI evolve, eventually merging into a single consciousness which no longer requires a physical form and which exists in a kind of subspace. And all the while, that AI - through its different forms - still attempts (and fails) to answer that question once posed to it. Only at the end of time and space does it find the answer.

Perhaps this is how we will encounter aliens; when we find the means to move beyond our physical forms and use our technology to evolve outwards into the universe. They may not come to us at all.

edit on 7-8-2017 by elgaz because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-8-2017 by elgaz because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I myself wonder, what could be accomplished If the US Military industrial complex shifted their development resources from offensive to purely defensive capabilities such as force fields, if only for a period of a few years. Could we accomplish such that would protect large areas, but further allow us safer space travels.

If something on a large global scale couldnt be be built, you could use it to encapsulate these visiting ships or probes.
Essentially holding them in place for inspection, disinfection, communication, removal.

Otherwise they probably have some great tech that would vaporize a good portion of the globe.

You have to hope that whomever shows up is just the cosmic nerds on a science ship versus some trans galactic battleship.

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

"Well, if alyuns had thu teknology ta get here, then they'd be like so advanced they wuudin't need nuthin from us"

Really?

Let's look at the history of human technology. In a nutshell, weapons and any technologies that make weapons more dangerous, have been the first to advance long, long before other technologies (like medicine, for example).

Think about it. We had pristine, powerful, perfectly functioning guns way long before we had even left the dark ages of medicine. We had shiny, deadly Colt revolvers before we had decent pain killers with which to perform surgery. Heck, we were not really even aware of germ theory when we were conconcting machine guns and high explosives.

The trend continues today. We have rockets that can shoot rockets that, with surgical precision, can shoot other rockets out of the sky. We have computers that can do all kinds of amazing stuff. But people are still falling over dead from diseases. We have not even cured the common cold.

My point is, weapons technology, and the technology to further deliver those weapons, will always far, far out-do other technologies.

Alien civilization may well have the same flaw. So if they did have the technology to reach Earth and invade, that doesn't necessarily mean that their other technologies are equally advanced to the point that there is nothing on this planet that would interest them. They could simply have run out of food on their home planet and have no way of replenishing it, other than to get into their weaponized star crafts and go raiding!

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join