It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

University deems 9/11 memorial “triggering, harmful, harassing”

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 05:31 PM
link   
9/11 is too tough for adults at the S Methodist U of Texas, and a they are forcing a relocation of the memorial flag display. This is a relatively new display that was started in 2015. The "offensive triggering" display is now relegated to an obscure location at MoMac park.

In a move that’s a slap across the face of every patriotic American, the Southern Methodist University in Texas relocated its annual 9/11 memorial flag display from in front of the campus’ iconic Dallas Hall to a less visible area to avoid exposing the community to “triggering, harmful, or harassing” messages.
The memorial is the work of the Young Americans for Freedom (YAF) student group. Since 2015 YAF has organized the 9/11 Never Forget Project, which YAF Chairman Grant Wolf describes as “a memorial of 2,977 American flags in a visually stunning display that represents each of the 2,977 Americans murdered by Al Qaeda terrorists in September 2001.”

The display, once revered by SMU as a “sea of red, white and blue” and “a lovely tribute” in front of Dallas Hall where many students hang out and socialize, is now being relegated to a more obscure location at MoMac Park, as not to hurt the feelings of those less American among us.

Students are not longer permitted to use the area for display. That is what Pres Gerald Turner said.

SMU President Gerald Turner defended the university’s position in an email sent to Wolf by stating it instituted a new memorial lawn display policy. Student groups are no longer permitted to use the Dallas Hall lawn for “any type of visual recognition or commemoration of an event or political or social issue.”
bogustimes.com...

But the University respects the right of all members to express their opinion. Sure they do, as long as someone doesn't think it triggers them. Keep in mind these are adults.

“The University respects the right of all members of the SMU community to express their opinions. The University also respects the right of all members of the community to avoid messages that are triggering, harmful, or harassing. Those rights come with responsibility not to abuse or violate civil and property rights of others, or to interfere in the conduct of University business.”

And the offensive picture is. Stupid colleges.

The University also respects the right of all members of the community to avoid messages that are triggering, harmful, or harassing.

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 05:39 PM
link   
How is this triggering? The age of an incoming college freshman when 9/11 happened was 2 years old. They don't even remember it.

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Wouldn't want to hurt the feelings of Al Qaeda sympathizers.

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

It does not matter how it is triggering. They had a soft hearted leftist liberal go into the office and complain about triggering, harmful and harassing.

They missed racist, sexist, homophobic and anti-Islamic.

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

1. Take a heavy boot sock
2. Fill it with navel oranges.
3. Drive to this university.
4. Find all the whiny bitches.
5. Beat them with the orange-filled sock.
6. Drive into town and have a nice taco at Sal's Taco Stand on University Dr.
7. Go back and beat the ones that are still moving.
8. Get an ice cream. (2 scoops)
9. Adopt a cat at your local shelter.
10. Go home with Mr. Scooter-Biscuits The Third.

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 05:48 PM
link   
America we need to have a serious talk. Who is responsible for all these idiots coming out of the woodwork lately? Is it something in your food that makes them go insane and spawn "ideas" like this crap? I hope they get flooded with complains to move it back where the display belongs. It almost looks like certain people want to eradicate parts of history or even attempt to rewrite it themselves. My conspiracy sense is tingeling.

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Perfectenemy

The new crop of buffoons that are presently being put through the College system were raised by media while both parents worked to give their kiddies the best. Keep in mind with the "everyone is a winner" trophies it is hard to say no to a balling, screaming idiot when they are in the dean's office.

And the leadership at the college are bong water skid marks that will do anything to not rock the boat, after all these "kids" are precious and fragile.

Just don't look at their face book pages-chocked full of racism and sexism. So fragile.

edit on 4-8-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I wouldn't be surprized if the globalists start to associate negative connotations with the American flag in an attempt to break up American pride

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 06:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
Wouldn't want to hurt the feelings of Al Qaeda sympathizers.

2 words: moderate opposition.

If they wouldn't want to hurt the feelings of al-Q sympathizers, they wouldn't have changed a single thing in this syriaous business of yours. Get it?

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I am so sick of universities catering to this crap. Also, to students, who gives a flying **** if you are offended. Better toughen up, because the real world doesn't care about your delicate sensibilities.

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 07:14 PM
link   
The answer is simple. Fight fire with fire.

Enlist 2,977 people. Have them gather flash mob style in the space that is no longer used for displays. Hold a die in where they fall to the ground draping themselves with American flags in the process.

Make sure it's filmed, photographed, etc.

Then engage in an angry sit-in style protest.
edit on 4-8-2017 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: annoyedpharmacist

Good point, the students are not guaranteed to not have their unreasonable and off based wishes about what triggers them eliminated.

What if someone "feels" harassed about chicken being served in the cafeterias? Or are intimidated about a white male being their professor.
Don't laugh, with out boundaries the list of stupid things that could trigger these adults are limitless.
edit on 4-8-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Umm...

What's supposed to be offensive in this picture exactly? Like, there is literally nothing even remotely offensive about it, in the eyes of anyone of sound, reasonable mind.

Just stop catering to these worthless sacks of crap. "I'm offended". Good, go cry about it. Nobody cares about your pathetic fragile mind.

I am of the opinion that many of my generation (born in 1990, so I guess i fit?) simply will not be able to function in society.

You know there are some out there who say we need a second Black Death. Maybe they are right.
edit on -050007pm8kpm by Ohanka because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 07:23 PM
link   

No more food on campus..it triggers me cause of all the hungry people in Africa.

Its racist to eat on campus.

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Perhaps the real snowflake is you??

These people pulling this nonsense are not snowflakes...they are enemies attacking you in your own homeland.

Calling them snowflakes just allows you to do nothing in resistance.

Wake up people. Hitler was no snowflake cause he wanted more "living space" for Germany...he was aggressive, the snowflakes stood by while it happened.

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: FrostyFlakes

Re-read my posts, never called anyone snowflakes.

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 07:45 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

You forgot a steak with Ketchup...

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 07:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Perfectenemy
America we need to have a serious talk. Who is responsible for all these idiots coming out of the woodwork lately? Is it something in your food that makes them go insane and spawn "ideas" like this crap? I hope they get flooded with complains to move it back where the display belongs. It almost looks like certain people want to eradicate parts of history or even attempt to rewrite it themselves. My conspiracy sense is tingeling.

We take comfort in knowing these fragile beings represent but a tiny percentage of the whole. The vast majority of us are in fact sane. This too shall pass.

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 08:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555

originally posted by: Perfectenemy

We take comfort in knowing these fragile beings represent but a tiny percentage of the whole. The vast majority of us are in fact sane. This too shall pass.

I used to think it was only a tiny percentage, but I fear it has grown and is continuing to grow as we speak.

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 08:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: Aazadan

It does not matter how it is triggering. They had a soft hearted leftist liberal go into the office and complain about triggering, harmful and harassing.

They missed racist, sexist, homophobic and anti-Islamic.

I think it does matter. If there were a legitimate reason I would understand hearing them out. I don't see how bringing up an event that very few of the current students even remember is a triggering event though. It would be like you or I complaining about the Saint Valentine's Day Massacre being a triggering event.

That's just the simple logic of the situation, and doesn't get into my own personal beliefs that people need to face their fears and overcome things that trigger them rather than run and hide.

originally posted by: Blaine91555

You have to remember whose pushing this stuff. It's largely 18-20 year olds who are on their own for the first time, with no parental supervision, massive access to drugs (especially alcohol), usually with a lot of free time, no responsibilities, and no real life experience. It's a recipe for a bunch of bad ideas. Growing up is when you have a few more years under your belt and realize how stupid these ideas seem. Which gets into my whole idea as to why I don't think 18 years old should be our baseline for adulthood anymore.
edit on 4-8-2017 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join