It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Cloud is "Leaking" !!!!!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 06:46 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

If you use Google, Microsoft or Dropbox then you're already FUBAR.
First step in security is not being retarded.

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 06:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I think you are absolutely right in that. I also believe there is more to it from the profit motive side.

At the same time we started seeing subscriptions to software from companies like Adobe and Microsoft, rather than letting people buy perpetual licenses. It was an end run around the legalities of perpetual licenses for software and the Cloud was touted as a part of that to make it look attractive.

Clearly those who do the snooping, for whatever reason, are thrilled with the Cloud.

(post by CB328 removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Well if the cloud scares you so much, don't use it...

But the problem is, you have already, unwittingly, have used it.

No data storage method is 100% safe, so if it worries you that much. Get off the net completely.

The damage is already done though, so the alphabet agencies are already compiling a "list" about you..will you get a red dot on your letter box, or blue?

Enough paranoia for you yet?

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Would anyone put their business records (if a business owner) on the cloud? Not meaning a website.

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

I use the "air gap" method for sensitive business files and customer records. I had never heard that phrase before, but common sense led me to making sure nothing like that was accessible or ever connected to the Internet. I'd imagine most businesses do the same.

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Depends. Which cloud are we talking about? Azure, Amazon? What network topology are you enforcing?

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 07:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: leloomultipass

If you use Google, Microsoft or Dropbox then you're already FUBAR.
First step in security is not being retarded.

When it comes to Google's cloud storage for my Android photos, I don't care about the "security" you're referring to. I was referring to something else all-together.

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 07:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: SudoNim

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

What do you think??

That you have little idea about cloud security and best practices.

Really?????? Because anything can be hacked. The government, IRS, Military, Hospitals, Colleges, Boyscouts, even the Cloud.

Anything on the WWW/internet/digital technology age can be invaded. If you think it's safe, you have another think coming. NOTHING on the internet is safe.

For example:

DNC
Credit card info from a multitude of stores

The IRS Says Identity Thieves Hacked Its Systems Again | Fortune.com
fortune.com/2016/02/10/irs-hack-refunds/
Feb 10, 2016 - Identity thieves attempted to breach computer systems at the Internal Revenue Service to file fraudulent tax refunds, the agency said.

VA Systems Hacked From Abroad - DataBreachToday
www.databreachtoday.com/va-systems-hacked-from-abroad-a-5814
Jun 5, 2013 - Since 2010, hackers from other nations, including China and perhaps Russia, have repeatedly breached Department of Veterans Affairs ...

Dropbox hack: Cloud storage company hacked, potentially revealing ...
www.independent.co.uk/.../dropbox-hack-cloud-storage-company-hacked-potentially...
Aug 31, 2016 - More than 60 million logins apparently belonging to Dropbox users have been spread across the internet. The cloud storage company has said that there doesn’t appear to be any indication that users have been hacked after the data dump, which compromises the security of many of ...

Chinese Group Is Hacking Cloud Providers to Reach Into Secure ...
www.bleepingcomputer.com... › News › Security
Apr 4, 2017 - A cyber-espionage group that first surfaced in 2009 is using a novel tactic into hacking its targets by first breaching one of its cloud service ...

I NEVER trusted the idea of the cloud, it was an attraction for the simple minded to store all their net "stuff". Anyone who believes it is safe and secure is an idiot.

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 07:39 PM
link   

So you're FUBAR then, gg
Ps. I wasn't referring to security either.

edit on 4-8-2017 by leloomultipass because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Our intelligence agencies, including the CIA, use Amazon Cloud Services.

That is the company owned by Jeff Bezos who also owns The Washington Post who gets lots and lots and lots of LEAKS all the time from "anonymous" sources.

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 07:46 PM
link   

I recall the days back in the 1990s when the intel program Carnivore was being revealed. And no one wanted to accept the practice that secret rooms in telecommunications centers were siphoning off data. Now we have fusion centers. Given the amounts of specialized spy programs these days who but a fool would accept what we are told to believe about any topic from personal security to UFOs. Supposed experts in any field should not be believed whenever a secret agenda is suspected.

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 07:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords
Our intelligence agencies, including the CIA, use Amazon Cloud Services.

Do you think it is the only system that they use?

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 08:06 PM
link   
There is no security in the cloud. There just isn't. For your super-duper secret information encrypt your files. Save them to a thumb drive. Only open them on a non-networked computer.

Even this is not perfect security, because if they REALLY want to watch you there are ways to read what the monitor screen is displaying from a near location.

I don't THINK I have that caliber of enemies.

I hope....

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 08:44 PM
link   
We haven't seen the worst of this. The amount of information being stored "in the cloud" is just massive and keeps growing. We can be grateful that, for now anyway, it's impossible to make sense of it all. If your looking for a career path that is good for the next 30 years, become a Data Scientist. But it doesn't stop there. People don't have the capacity to deal with the amount of information that's already there. That's where AI comes in. Self-learning systems that can chew through data day and night and will be able to do things we can't even imagine right now.

Has anyone ever read the terms and conditions from Google, Microsoft, Apple, etc.? You know, the ones you have to agree to continue? Ya, me neither. I'm willing to bet there is a clause somewhere that says you give up ownership of everything you put on their servers. The EU is big on data protection laws and I'm waiting to see how that's going to make a difference.

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 09:14 PM
link   

I don't know, but I think so. Jeff Bezos' AWS was awarded the contract.

The Details About the CIA's Deal with Amazon

posted on Aug, 5 2017 @ 07:37 AM
link   

I guess I can see the use for businesses too small to have their own servers, but I've never had anyuse for the cloud at home, nor has any business I've ever worked for had any use for it.

Physical media storage and secure access to servers is really, REALLY cheap and safe, if done right.

Literally all the cloud is, is paying someone else to use and trust their storage media. I've always thought it was funny that they were spending so much money advertising it - when very few people would be suckers enough / lazy enough put it to use.

posted on Aug, 5 2017 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Digital angels in the clouds ?

posted on Aug, 5 2017 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Where there is smoke is fire , same goes with clouds there's rain ...

posted on Aug, 5 2017 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords

I don't know, but I think so. Jeff Bezos' AWS was awarded the contract.

The Details About the CIA's Deal with Amazon

I'm willing to bet the CIA will not have all there data there.

If so a great opportunity for leaks about the reality of what the CIA is doing.

edit on 8/5/2017 by roadgravel because: typo

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join