It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Cloud is "Leaking" !!!!!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I have long held a theory that the "Cloud" is a giant ruse, a massive data warehousing experiment funded in large by Wireless providers, software developes and 3 letter black funding. It is not the panacea and savior of mankind as it is purported to be.

How many times have we heard :

"Store you stuff in the Cloud"
"Cloud based computing"
"Run your business in the Cloud" or...
"Software as a Service" ????

The real winners of this game are:

- telecommunications providers (through bandwidth sales)
- software companies (through licensing control and mandatory upgrades), and..
- intelligence gathering entities.

Notice YOU as the consumer are not listed, despite being told how just absolutely awesome the "Cloud" is???? Of course they want you to think this!!!

So what does all this have to do with "leaking? Well, I believe all of that sales pitch hasn't worked as well as some had hoped, so now they're looking for other ways to make money. Why not start selling some of the data, right? But, but, but...it's all "encrypted for your protection", right??? Yeah, right...and I've got a great big bridge in NYC for sale too!!!

I think the "Cloud" is one of the biggest sources of government leaks out there, and the aforementioned is why too!

What do you think??

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Hiding in plain site too!

Either way, where this cloud is, it's clearly vulnerable!

Great POST

Viva ATS b4 fake gnus and annoying TROLLS
S&F
edit on 4-8-2017 by iWontGiveUP because: Troll warning

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

What do you think??

That you have little idea about cloud security and best practices.

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I agree entirely. I have never trusted the notion of a "cloud"
Back in the early days of the internet a good friend of mine owned a Chicago based ISP...he would show me different people and companies email etc...on his servers...I remember how amazed I was at the ease he was perpetrating the invasion.

As technology grew I recognized the negative side potentials and chose not to participate fully.

Those home siri or whatever units frghten the hell out me with their potential for misuse.

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 04:30 PM
link   
clouds can certainly hold water. and release it.

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: SudoNim

Lol best practices...nice corporate tag line...I hear it daily, how do best practices protect the consumer from underhanded practices? How about NSA backdoors in hardware and software?

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

It's astounding how easily people trust these big corporations.

History has repeatedly proven the deceptive and dishonest nature of big business, yet people are still willing to trust all their money and their private data in the hands of these con artists. I for one never use the cloud for storage, and never upload anything anywhere that I don't want other people to see. If you are storing things that you don't care about other people seeing, then that's fine. But local storage is always the best, and most secure option for backups. Not to mention how the cloud requires an always-on connection to access your data.

If you really must use the cloud to store private data, then learn how to encrypt it. But even this isn't 100% secure from prying eyes as you can bet that the software developers put in backdoors for the highest bidders to access.

As for Siri and Alexa two big corporations who make significant amounts of money from selling data, selling devices which are constantly listening to you. Nothing can go wrong there.
edit on 4/8/2017 by MetalChickAmy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 04:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I agree entirely. I have never trusted the notion of a "cloud"
Back in the early days of the internet a good friend of mine owned a Chicago based ISP...he would show me different people and companies email etc...on his servers...I remember how amazed I was at the ease he was perpetrating the invasion.

As technology grew I recognized the negative side potentials and chose not to participate fully.

Those home siri or whatever units frghten the hell out me with their potential for misuse.

I remember seeing the network topology diagrams our company had at the time. We would have a map of our LAN, some network "bridges", the LAN's on our remote sites, and then we would have the X.25 packet switching "cloud" and the rest of the company on the other side of that cloud. That icon literally was drawn as a weather map cloud.
Because we didn't need to know the structure or layout or what was going on inside.

The server manufacturers and network providers were all pushing for "cloud technology" back in the 1990's. For them, there would be a time when it would become cheaper and faster to download 1 megabyte of data from the network than it would be from a local storage device. You would always run out of local storage, but the "cloud" would have infinite capacity.

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Not to long ago we had 'Server Storage' now they call it the cloud, unicorn would have been a better name....

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I immediately thought the Cloud was stupid from the beginning and couldn't believe people fell for it.

Proud Never-Cloud User.

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 05:08 PM
link   
a reply to: SudoNim

Ha!!!

Good one!

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 05:10 PM
link   
a reply to: MetalChickAmy

I feel for the generations that grew up thinking the internet is normal.

They have no capacity for discerning whats right or wrong for themselves regarding personal data and privacy.

Course Ill be cursed for saying this...but I dont care

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 05:45 PM
link   

That you have little idea about cloud security and best practices.

lol. What else can be said other than misplaced trust.

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Cloud literally means server. It's just as safe if not more so than your computer at home. Are you using Gmail? Then your emails are in the cloud.

Any harddrive connected to the Internet is "the cloud".

My computer is sometimes running a file server so i can access files from my phone via the Internet.
That's the cloud.

Pick a trustworthy company (competition is high, there are many) in a foreign country immune to letter agencies, and store your backup there.

Encrypt your files on your personal computer first, then put it inside a password protected archive and upload it to said cloud service.

Now explain to me how that is not just as safe if not safer than having it in your pc?

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 06:18 PM
link   
We have a small home "cloud" server for stuff we don't want to trust to the larger "cloud." It's basically an in-home backup for our hard drives and repository for things like music and pictures and other similar files you don't want to lose.

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Encrypt your files on your personal computer first, then put it inside a password protected archive and upload it to said cloud service.

If it's just used as a backup service for encrypted data then it's quite private.

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 06:27 PM
link   
The Google cloud is a nice, free storage place now. But I get the feeling that they are going to hold all Android user photos for ransom.

"Pay us $20 a month, or the thousands of photos stored for you over the years will be deleted. You have until tomorrow night. Thank-you for using Google!"

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: leloomultipass

Well, for starters, a big company hosting dozens or hundreds of people's things is a bigger Target than my basement- and I don't sell off network access to anyone with a credit card... So right off the bat data at home is safer than "cloud" hosted data from these two points.

1) security through obscurity
2) limited access to infrastructure

Now, once the users get involved and start clicking on ads on that home network, obviously all bets are off.

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Yeah, no one has ever illegally accessed a Gmail or Yahoo mail account or defaced a web page.

Admins viewing or removing copies of data? What was that Snowden thing about.

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

Cloud services (the good ones) has immensely better security than your PC at home.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join