It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Source: Russia, Iran May Sign Nuke Deal This Month

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 09:41 AM
link   
According to a source, Russia and Iran are close to a deal that would begin the shipping of atomic fuel for the reactor being built in the latter's country. The fuel would allow the 1000 megawatt reactor to come online this year and reach full output by 2006. Spent fuel rods from the reactor would then be sent back to Siberia. Russian officials think that this facet will remove any U.S. fears that the spent fuel would be used in weaponry.

story.news.yahoo.com
MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russia is preparing to sign a deal with Iran this month to start atomic fuel shipments for a Moscow-built nuclear reactor there, a Russian nuclear source said Monday.

The move is certain to enrage the United States which says Iran can use Russian fuel to secretly make a nuclear bomb. Washington has long called on Russia to drop the plans.

The source in Russia's Atomic Energy Agency said Moscow and Tehran had largely settled all remaining technicalities and were preparing to sign the accord when Alexander Rumyantsev, the agency's head, travels to Iran at the end of February.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Can fuel be made or enriched as it were without taking material from the fuel rods. Fissile grade material, I thought, can also be made by exposing it to reactor flux if I recall my physics class. However, its been a while and I may be wrong on this. It seems baring an attack that destroys the reactor, it will come on line soon. Iran has already said that nothing can be offered that would make it abandon the reactor.

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Plutonium suitable for nuclear weapons can be produced by exposing uranium to the radiation of a nuclear reactor. I'm not sure if the design of the Russian-made reactor makes that possible in this reactor.

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Plutonium suitable for nuclear weapons can be produced by exposing uranium to the radiation of a nuclear reactor. I'm not sure if the design of the Russian-made reactor makes that possible in this reactor.

I'm trying to track down the specs of the reactor type. I have a pretty good reference book on Russia's Nuclear program called "Red Atom", but Ill bet you that it can. Why else would they have refused the EU's offer of a light water reactor that cannot breed Pu?

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Wait a second....the same people who were using the OFF program to sell banned weaponry, banned technology, wmd (yes, wmd) and all kinds of military equipment to Iraq...... when these people, the Russians, themselves agreed on just exchanging oil for food through the oil for food program now want to have nuclear deals with Iran...and want the world to believe they are not going to do the same they did with Iraq?....

How many people in here believe this crap?....

[edit on 8-2-2005 by Muaddib]

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 12:16 PM
link   
now its a nukes for food program, the russians got to eat to stay warm in the cold Siberian winter, besides, Putin has resurrected statues of Stalin, so I think he seems determined to regain superpower status and compete with the americans...

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 02:50 PM
link   
interesting idea, as long as the spent rods don't end up "missing" or "hijacked" on their way back to Russia.

I'm still a bit confused, as to the need for a hundred megawatt reactor, other than national status and weapons production. Solar flux in the area is excellent, oil is cheap, natural gas as well. Only the elite and foreign tourists get the benefits of the power output-do they really use 100 MW?

Most likely, they'll toe the line with this reactor. in 5 years, when world attention has focussed elsewhere, and scrutiny is less, they'll develop/build a weaponizing reactor. It'll be easier to divert incoming fuel and outgoing spent rods that way.

new topics

top topics

join