It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In your opinion where does Canada stand if there is a WW3

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 02:38 PM
link   
You know only the experienced person following politics then can send accross this opinion. It would proabably not be in any newspapers or books of late. Hopefully your clear on that and can check out the power palyers G status v dates which should support what I'm suggesting - yes?

Dallas

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Canada..

Canada.....

Canada........

Canada would support America in WW III ONLY if her economic intrest's were threatened. We are economic allies, but thats as far as it goes. I know we have defence treaties, but most Canadians Hate us so much, that even if we were attacked, most Canadians would not beleave our side of the story....therefore handicapping the governments response.

Now the day America is depending on Canadian military might to save us will be a sad day indeed, because Canada has no real military might to project. Having the "worlds best sniper" is not worth crap if 6 regiments of TU-160 backfire bombers is streaking towards your border.

Canada needs a true Blue-water Navy that can sustain offensive operations for over 60 days and a proper Air force and Army that can do the same. Canada has spent too much on social programs and has let her military slip to dangerous levels.

So my final answer is YES..Canada would support America, but her support would come too little and too late to make a difference.

Maximu§

[edit on 023131p://111 by LA_Maximus]

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Its unfortunate, but what you speak is true in my opinion. Though Canada believes in peace first. I suppose never think how far off the the EU is and its possible Full Support of Canada and its peaceful people..

Dallas

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dallas

BTW, think its G8 by now. Also, I think in was deceased President Regan who allowed Canada into the G5 at a cost of Mulroney signing off on NAFTA.

Dallas

Dallas...

That might be true from one point of view. The reason why the US really invited Canada into the group was to act as a counter balance. BUT seeing as NOW the G8 is currently going through reforms to add India and China and possibly 2 others in the coming years will make it at least G10. India and China finance minters were invited to attended the past G8 summit since soon they will be forged into the group. Russia is a G8 member and India and China are soon to be members, but have also created there own group with the intentions of balancing power distribution and
to build an effective trading/military bloc. SAME with the European Union which has G8 members Italy, Germany, France, United Kingdom. So tell me why there creating these massive bonds? Well first off, G8 sit around and hardly really do anything. Secondly the G8 has only been around for 30 years and now these too massive giants are gaining momentum and the G8 or G10 will eventually disintegrate into thin air. Those specific countries are going to eventually pull out of the group seeing as they have already created their own Blocs. The G8 is dominated by the United States and their policies, that's way. I'm a Double Majoring in Science Mathematics and Business Economics, so I have a little bit knowledge in this subject, since we have to actually do a little work on these types of Global issues....

Either way Canada will support the US, but its will be a very lonely group there in....

[edit on 8-8-2005 by Darth Tinku]

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Dallas you raise some good points

To add my own little spin on it though-Sure we are allies now, and that is all fine and dandy. We can share maple syrup and kids in the Hall and argue over which was more influential, SCTV, or SNL.

That does not change the fact that we are one of the most heavily armed nations in the world. Believe me, if we needed water, and our government so much as suggested it was the canadians holding onto it for economic purposes, you would have an invasion faster than you could say "aye".

Besides the H2o issue I mentioned, and someone already brought up- There is a good possibility that canada has a wealth of petroleum reserves (assuming we consider the ecological ramifications of the sands xtraction program, and still go along with it) Now that is not one, but TWO strategic resources that we would have every reason to lay claim to.

In no way shape or form am I trying to say this is the right thing to do, but it is probably what we would do none the less. As I said before , I view this similar to the doomsday predictions of the 70's that warned of the wars to control oil. As I said- no one is listening now, just like then, as can be seen by most of the naive responses concerning this very subject.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Very Interesting point of view. I feel your right to a certain degree. US does dominate the GX nations. And in this way I postulate the US is pulling out of NATO (& UN?) to gain power through the strongest industrialized nations. As far as China, I think China pulled a move on the US to get in. Russia?, well possibly Russia and US since Reagan and Gorby have big plans for the world.

Ask me to prove it - I can't. But with your eduacation perhaps you can?

Dallas

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by phoenixhasrisin

Believe me, if we needed water, and our government so much as suggested it was the canadians holding onto it for economic purposes, you would have an invasion faster than you could say "aye".

This is a very interesting statement...it reminds me of the high school bully that would steal lunch money from the less physically adept students. Usually those types wound up either becoming the sort that could never hold a job or just got a more or less permanent room at the local prison.

C'mon, surely America stands for more than that? Or have you really sunk so low that perhaps Canadians really should start looking elsewhere for allies?

Our resources are our resources, period...and if they benefit our economy...so be it...it's not like America to be any less capitalistic, imo...in fact, you should applaud such things in the world.

I'd like to invite you to our local Legion, have a few with the grizzled old vets here and let you make that statement there.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 03:39 PM
link   
There are seriously big military connectioms between the British and canadian forces. As a ex British forces personell we used to call canada the back yard as thats where we would spend most of our training on exercises. Do you guys realise how big the british military activities are over the other side of the pond its astronomical. I would say bloody too right they are an allied member. Just because they are quiet. Remember its always the quiet ones to be afraid off. I think Canada would watch U.K. and U.S. back should there be a world war 3 without a doubt

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Excellent Point masqua!

That does not change the fact that we are one of the most heavily armed nations in the world. Believe me, if we needed water, and our government so much as suggested it was the canadians holding onto it for economic purposes, you would have an invasion faster than you could say "aye".

yeahhh...hmmm well you guys don't have too may strong allies left and you don't think other powers might want a piece of it as well? Canada would go ask for help from other armies if you tried that. EU and BRIC could possible dissolve your claim seeing as there number are far greater in manpower and their technology is pretty strong aswell. You guys can even get things right with your space program and have to buy other countries technologies as well. America is losing the bigger war by sending your troops in unnecessary wars and are facing a big shortage in manpower not only in the present, but especially in the future.

Ask me to prove it - I can't. But with your eduacation perhaps you can?

Dallas

All I'm saying is that I have done research in these selected topics and if you agree with it fine and if not oh well... but I know the research I have done is credible and not without merit. I haven't been taught by unqualified biased professors. Many of them came from your Universities such as Harvard, Princeton, Columbia, MIT and here like Toronto u, Ottawa u, McGill, Queens etc

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
C'mon, surely America stands for more than that? Or have you really sunk so low that perhaps Canadians really should start looking elsewhere for allies?

The term "sunk so low" assumes that there was a higher level to sink from. If you think we do not stand for more than that, then please familiarize yourself with a bit more of our history, especially in regards to the Native population, and the imported African workforce.

Our resources are our resources, period...and if they benefit our economy...so be it...it's not like America to be any less capitalistic, imo...in fact, you should applaud such things in the world.

Do you honestly believe this? Tell this argument to Iraq, or Iran, or Venezuela. Not to be rude but you seem to have a pretty high opinion of us.

I'd like to invite you to our local Legion, have a few with the grizzled old vets here and let you make that statement there.

I would love to. As we all know my dollar is worth more, so I am sure your fellow citizens will more than appreciate the patronage, especially if you knew how much I drink.

Once again I am in no way shape or form saying that this is ethical, just trying to deal with politics, as they operate in the world we live. Do I think we should steal your water? No! Do I like Ed Grimley better than the Samurai Deli? Yes. But that is neither here nor there.

As F'd up as it seems, you guys picked your side a long time ago, you think that will be forgotten? All B.S aside. Not only did you cater to the British, but half of you subjected to the French....... And we all know what the US thinks of the French, right?

Über Alles, Freedom fries!

[edit on 8-8-2005 by phoenixhasrisin]

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I think this thread is headen for trouble.

Max

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I really don't think, and I mean this with all the respect in the world, but I don't think America really understands anyone. Canada, by our reputation in all major wars, our peacekeeping missions, our friendly foriegn policies as well as just being helpfull and sending aid when needed has given Canada a very protected place. If America chose to attack, even assuming they could beat us(Which I doubt), there would be armies beyond armies ready, willing and able to come to our aid - not to mention GB and the rest of the commonwealth.

To attack Canada is like signing your death warrent. It is a no win situation, and in that case, isn't it better to just get along and stop acting like such dolts? Besides, we'd sell you some water if you have the cash for it. LMAO!!

Heck it would never come to that, when have we ever let our friends down south down? If you need some water we'd sell it to you - it's the least we could do after a;; the kindness and compassion American's have shown us.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 04:03 PM
link   

You know only the experienced person following politics then can send accross this opinion. It would proabably not be in any newspapers or books of late. Hopefully your clear on that and can check out the power palyers G status v dates which should support what I'm suggesting - yes?

Dallas

I don't know.
but you should support your case by providing a link so minions such as myself can understand your brillant political opinions...

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua

Believe me, if we needed water, and our government so much as suggested it was the canadians holding onto it for economic purposes, you would have an invasion faster than you could say "aye".

This is a very interesting statement...it reminds me of the high school bully that would steal lunch money from the less physically adept students. Usually those types wound up either becoming the sort that could never hold a job or just got a more or less permanent room at the local prison.

Listen, you may not like it, but thats the way it is.

Our military is strong enough to take Canada - there is no doubt about that. Frankly, Iraq would have probably given s bigger problems considering they had a MUCH larger military and air defense system in GW1.

As for 'our resources are our resources'... That may be true today, but frankly if it comes down to you keeping your resources and the US going under vs the US just taking them from you, you are in for a rude awakening.

Furthermore, no one would do anything about it. Even by 2050, the rest of the world combined would not be able to take on the US in thermonuclear war - and thats if they even were willing to do that to save Canadas freedom.

Don't take this personally - I'm just telling it how it is. I don't ever expect anything like this situation to ever develope.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Don't know about you and other pro-Canada people, but I'm not refering to the USA and Canada at that serious of odds against each other.

I'm simply suggesting the US and Canada have chices as free Nations. That proximity means little when one risks the health of the other through no-consulted "stupid decissions".

Under Bush 1, he frequently expressed his total support for Canadian friends and from what I remember never pushed his ways or thoughts on Canadians, that I'm aware of or in public.

Only the name's the same now I feel. And that is sad as Martin or the next PM will have to make serious choices and forget about power-houses or geography and just do the right thing and close ties with the right people (Nations).

Dallas

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 04:21 PM
link   
DALLAS:

I agree with you completely. The fundimental facts are that we would never let others be hurt for ego trips. That is one of the many reasons I feel Canada is just a much better country than the US is, although both are great countries, or at least have the potential to be great countries.

I have often said that our friendship with the US is with a price and few are willing to pay it. With the recent actions I doubt many would accept any American incursion.

I find it funny to listen to Americans speaking about military and such, but I suppose that is what children do. I figure our closer relationship we have shared with Britian has helped us aviod the pitfalls of the Americans and show in a maturity beyond our short life so far. It is good to be a Canadian.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by phoenixhasrisin you seem to have a pretty high opinion of us.

thanks for the enlightenment...I'll have to rethink my business trip to NYC this December

As we all know my dollar is worth more, so I am sure your fellow citizens will more than appreciate the patronage, especially if you knew how much I drink.

Have you noticed the direction of the exchange rate recently? rotf

As F'd up as it seems, you guys picked your side a long time ago, you think that will be forgotten? All B.S aside. Not only did you cater to the British, but half of you subjected to the French....... And we all know what the US thinks of the French, right?

Über Alles, Freedom fries!

Thanks for your succint post...your edification abounds with what I surely hope is not Governmental policy.
Last time I looked around the streets of my burg, I saw many American licence plates and I will hold your words in my mind as I deal with these people.

Good Grief, Charlie Brown...how low you have sunk!

BTW...I am neither British nor French in my roots, but I am Canadian Army to the bone. Name the time and those beers at the Legion are yours...mind you, I won't be sitting at your table...I'll be with the others.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 04:36 PM
link   
What will we do? We will be crushed with autonomous efficiency. Our most powerful weapon right now is a guy with a handgun tied to the wing of one of our pitiful F-18s. Even then he's only got one clip!

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man

Don't take this personally - I'm just telling it how it is. I don't ever expect anything like this situation to ever develope.

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I do take it personally...and I hope it never develops either, because it will be my sons and myself standing in front of you.
I believe you are underestimating a Canadians' abilities in our own yard.

A thermonuclear war between Canada and the USA(?)...now that would be truly suicidal since most of our cities border on America. Naw, big soldier, it would have to be man to man.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man
Furthermore, no one would do anything about it. Even by 2050, the rest of the world combined would not be able to take on the US in thermonuclear war - and thats if they even were willing to do that to save Canadas freedom.

Haha yeah right. Your power over the world has deteriated signifigantly. You have to get England's help to conquer those countries that have very small or no armies. I like you to take on the BRIC or EU and see what happens. You guys are the ones pushing WWIII. Tell me if the US is so powerful why don't you go invade China and liberate Tibet? Because they could crush you guys. Don't take it personally, it's the Truth. While you guys fight all these different wars you started, other World Powers are forming their own Bloc to prepare for a Bigger war.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join