In your opinion where does Canada stand if there is a WW3

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by phoenixhasrisin
Honestly though....did you really think I was serious?

Have you been scanning the board lately? Easy mistake to make.

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by svenglezz
But Canada don't play hockey or baseball or basketball with the Commenwealth

And sports plays such a role in the main stream of things no?

Y'r Canadian friend,
Sven

Animation may as well be a national sport in Canada, and as an animator myself I say: Game On!

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by cryptorsa1001
Not so sure you are too free up there.

Whats that?
They took your gun rights from you.
What did you do?
Nothing.
Thats Sad. Neutered like a bull ready for the slaughter.

Nonsense. Come try to break into my house some night and take your pick of 6 different firearms to be shot by.

The difference between owning a handgun in Canada, and owning a handgun in the USA is pretty simple -- as long as you don't let your ego get in the way and start hollering about your rights to own a gun (which, by the way, you have never had the constitutional "right" to do in Canada).

Here we must first pass a firearm safety course (CFSC/CRFSC) (Canadian Firearms Safety Course and Canadian Restricted Firearms Safety Course), and apply for a Possession/Acquisition License, send it in to the Chief Firearms Office (CFO)and they do a background (CPIC) check on you. Once you're approved, your license arrives by mail. You then must join an approved handgun club where you must complete your mandatory club level handgun safety course and serve a probation period. Once that is completed, you then fill out an ATT (Authorization to Transport) and send it to the CFO (Again you will probably get a computer background check). Next your handgun ATT will arrive by mail. This whole process will take 4 to 6 weeks from start to license. From this point you can take your license and ATT to any gun store and buy whatever handguns you want/like/can afford. The store forwards your purchase request and copy of your ATT to the CFO and when it's approved you can go get your gun. (this takes about 6 to 7 days and is commonly called a "cool down period") You will receive a 3 year permit (per handgun) and can then take your handgun and transport it to your home, your club(s) or wherever else you're allowed to use your handgun (you can also apply for an Authroization to Carry which allows you to carry your handgun on your person). If you're a Canadian reading this and you've been thinking about getting a gun, you can call 1-800-731-4000 at the Canadian Firearms Centre to get information on certified instructors in your area so you can earn your FAC.

For rifles and other non-restricted firearms it's a little different and a lot easier to transport/use your weapon. You still need to get your CFSC (FAC), and you still need to take the same steps to purchase your rifle(s) (you used to get a PAL instead of an ATT) and the rules are quite a bit more relaxed compared to handguns. In either case, the whole process of being able to purchase and use firearms in Canada makes me feel a lot more comfortable knowing that the vast majority of people who own them aren't lunatics or careless idiots...

Now, knowing all that, and knowing that there are over 8 million registered firearms (restricted firearms) in Canada, are you still saying that we've been neutered and had our rights taken away? The only complaint I have had with the new firearm laws is that it amounts to nothing more than a blatent tax (or user fee) on the legal gun owners -- especially when they grouped in too many hunting rifles, shotguns and target firearms. The gun laws that were already in place served the same purpose (protecting the public from gun crimes). The numbers show that's the truth (USA had almost 15 times the handgun crime per-capita when compared to Canada before the changes to gun laws here, and remain the same afterwards).

Nobody took my "gun rights" away from me, all they did was tagged a "user fee" (tax!) onto a hobby/sport of over 7 million people (most of whom are in western Canada). But I'm a Canadian, I'm used to paying a lot of taxes, how else do you think we can have universal healthcare?

[edit on 7-8-2005 by CatHerder]

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 07:49 AM
link   

C'mon....I mean if you honestly think that I am even half serious then I would suggest some therapy.

Perhaps it is my fault as I am not aware of the proper protocals to signify emotion, my apologies.

Honestly though....did you really think I was serious?

[edit on 6-8-2005 by phoenixhasrisin]

For whatever it is worth, I found it funny. I think too much is made between the differences between Canadian and American's. Short of the government, and the effects of the government, we are essentially the same(Isn't everyone?). America won't tussle with Canada, anymore than Canada would tussle with America. We have the longest ungaurded boarder - we are by every definitition friends and allies. We will have disagreements and arguements but I doubt anyone would really consider either side as enemies.

Too much blood sweat and tears have gone into making and keeping this friendship to let a few bad politicians drive a wedge between continental cousins.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 07:51 AM
link   
through thick and thin i belive that those silly canadians will have our back they have proven themselves over and over again

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Perhaps its time to face up to our being connected geographically.. Both Governments should be consulting each other to confer BEFORE making stupid decissions that can have a drastic effect on the other Nation by proximity.

Canada stands where ever Canada feels it should stand. Like other free Countries, walk quietly and carry a big peace stick.
War is stupid, expensive and people consuming. Do you really think in a WW3 condition it would matter where Canada stands?

WW3 = End

Dallas

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Some may not be old enough to remember this but nearing the end of WW2, all the signs pointed to WW3 between the allies and the newlyt established soviets. It was all thought through and understood that it was going to happen, and probably very shortly(remember prior to the A bomb, there were major wars ever generation, so they assumed the same trend would continue) this war was going to happen over the north pole and Canada was the first line against them.

Ofcourse, the A bomb threw all bets off as humanities power had outstripped our comman sense. Sadly this still seems to be true.

In a way we all owe a debt to the A bomb, it has kept most people(sans americans) away from war for longer than any time in history.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 08:21 AM
link   
The only thing I can think of and i'm sure many of you thought of this already is that canada has been liberal for decades and they have a reputation of peacekeeping and helping other countries, and since bush took office, his foreign policy is offensive and not something I believe canadian government and the people believe in.

And it's okay to disagree with allies, you don't have to agree with everything, but I remember reading an article and became appalled that the us embassador to canada was threatening the country economically, that the us wouldn't import products from canada because canada didn't just bend over and blndly follow because it's 'america' after all and ameica is always right about things.

that was basically what he was saying but in more layman terms

So, canada wants to maintain it's distance until another liberal government becomes present in america, or 2, perhaps maybe even until the foreign policy becomes more american and follows what the constitution laid out about foreign policy.

It would appear that Canadian foreign policy is actually more in sync with america's constitution then their own.

And if ww3 comes about, canada is going to side with europe.

And, Canada did send their troops to iraq as did australia and britian, so even though they were against it, they still wanted to show the american government that they would help, afterall they don't want to sever the relationship, those two countries have a great economical relationship.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueLies
The only thing I can think of and i'm sure many of you thought of this already is that canada has been liberal for decades and they have a reputation of peacekeeping and helping other countries, and since bush took office, his foreign policy is offensive and not something I believe canadian government and the people believe in.

And it's okay to disagree with allies, you don't have to agree with everything, but I remember reading an article and became appalled that the us embassador to canada was threatening the country economically, that the us wouldn't import products from canada because canada didn't just bend over and blndly follow because it's 'america' after all and ameica is always right about things.

that was basically what he was saying but in more layman terms

So, canada wants to maintain it's distance until another liberal government becomes present in america, or 2, perhaps maybe even until the foreign policy becomes more american and follows what the constitution laid out about foreign policy.

It would appear that Canadian foreign policy is actually more in sync with america's constitution then their own.

And if ww3 comes about, canada is going to side with europe.

And, Canada did send their troops to iraq as did australia and britian, so even though they were against it, they still wanted to show the american government that they would help, afterall they don't want to sever the relationship, those two countries have a great economical relationship.

We didn't send our troops to Iraq, at least not publically. We did and will continue to send into Afganni because there it appears to be real. Iraq is, was and always will be a farce.

It is actually really strange very few people I have seen are in agreement with the Americans here. America has always been agressive like that towards all nations, I thin kmost Canadians, at leat the ones I know, look at America like a bully child having a temper tantrum and try to shut the crying and pouting more than anything else. Remember, few countries in the world can effectively close their boarders and be self sufficient - Canada happens to be one of them. Fresh water, timber, clean air and abundance of natural resources...

Man it is good to be a canuck.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Well did you know Canada entered the second world war years before North America and they loss many good men on the beaches at Dunkirk

On the 25th May 1940 In the Town where I live in Sussex there were about 10.000 Canadian troops based up on the hill.
Then the next day they were given there orders to cross the English channel and land at Dunkirk.
The next day all were dead.
Well that sort of sums up where Canada might stand.
They also belong to NATO and are still a part of the British Commonwealth.

Link below lists all NATO members should we enter a world war.
All NATO members shall fight on the same side we hope.
(Well apart from one. France might surrender and put their feet up until we liberate them Again.

www.nato.int...

I would like also to say thank you Canada for being there on time when we needed you. you did not hesitate and diver. and don't forget the other countrys like Poland India Australia and many others who were there from the start.

Here is a fact not many people know.
North America is still getting monies from the military hard wear they sold to Britain back in the second world war.. Scandalise..
You would think they would right that debt off.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 11:03 AM
link   
As a Canadian, and viewing the American Agenda from my standpoint, I will never assist them in attacking anyone. Also, I feel Canada would defend itself very well from any attacker, even the U.S.A. 85% of the population lives within 300 km of the 49th parallel border. If the American's decided to invade, I would personally try my best to take as many of them out as I could. I also feel, having a rather large group of people to talk to now that I have married into a very large family compared to what I was used to growing up, and having moved now closer to Toronto, that a fair...if not large majority of Canadian's are rather put out with the American administration and the aggressive "Red Neck" mentality that hopefully, (but not apparently) is the minority in the States. I have not travelled into the States for 5 years now, nor will I ever, if things continue as they are. I have also been boycotting all American Products, if and when possible. Judging by the local grocery stores too, there seems to be at least a minority that does this also, Canadian fruits and vegetables sell out always before ANY American produce, even though the American stuff is usually cheaper.(by the way, most American produce looks like crap if you ask me, misshappen peppers and rotten potatoes.)

I used to travel all the time in the States when I was a child and teenager, now I feel that my Children will never get the chance to see some of the wonderful things that happen to be within the U.S border, just because the country has turned its back on the rest of the world's moral values. America is turning, if not turned, into a cesspool of "if it feels good, do it." mentality. I mean, just look at what American T.V has become in the last 10 years. I could go on forever, but I think I have made my point. I feel so sorry for any American's that miss what their contry USED to be.

[edit on 8-8-2005 by Murundi]

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Taken from the Canadian website on Canada's stance on Foreign policy and what they are participating in internationally....

Rebuilding Afghanistan
Canada is making important contributions to the reconstruction and stabilization of Afghanistan, focusing on the areas of development, diplomacy, and defence.

Reconstructing Haiti
Canada has played a leadership role in international efforts to re-establish security and stability in Haiti and to assist in longer-term reform and reconstruction efforts.

Canada: Active in Sudan
For over 20 years, Canada has been working toward restoring peace and resolving the humanitarian crises in Sudan.

Canada’s Response to the Tsunami
The Government of Canada is committed to helping affected countries recover from the crisis and move forward. This new tsunami response site shows the full extent of the activities of the Government of Canada.

canadainternational.gc.ca...

Also this is a good page to read on the Role of Pride and Influence in the World, which includes an overview of
Diplomacy
Defence
Development
Commerce

This document articulates a vision for Canada's global engagement. Our first comprehensive, integrated international policy framework, the Statement delivers on the Government's commitment to invest in our international role.

The Statement sets out an action plan for transforming Canadian diplomacy, to better serve Canada and Canadians.

The new diplomacy is about opportunity, empowerment and vision, enabling Canadians to create the society they want - safe, prosperous and proud of its role in the world.

Also includes a Webcast of Ministers' Statements..

www.dfait-maeci.gc.ca...

[edit on 8-8-2005 by TrueLies]

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 11:34 AM
link   
The US Ambassasor's name was Celluci and Bush forced him to resign soon after he publically stated Canada gave up its sovereignty rights after refusing to support the US missle defence shield within Canada's sovereign Air Space.

Cellucci's long gone.

Dallas

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I honestly can't believe there are 8 pages on this subject...

Canada and US would be hand in hand, just like we were during WWII and the cold war.

Look, in a WORLD war, the threat would be China, or some huge radical Islamic uprising, or maybe Russia again down the road. Do any of you for one moment think that Canada would stand with any of those forces against the US?

If so, I would recomend you check into your local mental health clinic.

Now, that doesn't mean Canada will ALWAYS be on Americas side (like the situation in Iraq), but if it came down to world war, I have full confidence that our northern nieghbors would come to our aid, just as we would with them.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Touché !

Seriously though, IMHO- I think Canada should be careful. The fact reains they share way too much border space with us, and in the event that water keeps disappearing like it has been the past few years, then they seriously have something to worry about. Soon Canada could be vital to American Interest, with the permafrost in Alaska melting, our fresh water situation is looking more and more bleak.

We are downstream from Canada, where are we going to be getting our water from? We are not investing too much in de-salinization plants. It will also be a cold day in heil when we allow someone to damn our water source upstream from us, like we did. The fact that it is even possible leads me to believe that there are already contingency plans in the making.

To Answer the question i-in case of WWIII Canada should stand silently behind us in our shadow, praying that we do not turn like a raging Pit-bull on them. They seriously have alot of water, and just like people were trying to warn of the oilwars 20 years ago, now people are trying to warn about the H2O wars that are to come. Sadly just like with the oil....no one is listening.

www.fromthewilderness.com...

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Touché !

Seriously though, IMHO- I think Canada should be careful. The fact reains they share way too much border space with us, and in the event that water keeps disappearing like it has been the past few years, then they seriously have something to worry about. Soon Canada could be vital to American Interest, with the permafrost in Alaska melting, our fresh water situation is looking more and more bleak.

We are downstream from Canada, where are we going to be getting our water from? We are not investing too much in de-salinization plants. It will also be a cold day in heil when we allow someone to damn our water source upstream from us, like we did. The fact that it is even possible leads me to believe that there are already contingency plans in the making.

To Answer the question i-in case of WWIII Canada should stand silently behind us in our shadow, praying that we do not turn like a raging Pit-bull on them. They seriously have alot of water, and just like people were trying to warn of the oilwars 20 years ago, now people are trying to warn about the H2O wars that are to come. Sadly just like with the oil....no one is listening.

www.fromthewilderness.com...

LMAO, man if America turned it's nose our way like a "pitbull", you'd find your nose swatted with a peace of newsprint and told to lie in the corner like every other rabid, brainless animal.

Canada's water is Canada's. We are willing to share our resources, unlike America, which is why we are liked and you are, well......

However, it would never go that way. Remember we tussled before, and it is not in either sides interest to go that route. America would be done within a few years, simply because there is no way to tell us from you - other than after we have done something. And we would.

But hey, remember we are about America's last real friend, so play nice or play alone.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 02:06 PM
link   
About our water...a mention was made which is kind of false and misleading. A large percentage of our water flows north, not south. The demarcation line is just a bit above Lake superior, if you happen to look on your map... a great amount winds up in Hudsons Bay.

The Great Lakes, which we share, are quickly becoming too polluted to be of any use and the recent developments with Devils Lake in Wisconsin (?) are definately not going to help.

It's only a matter of time before America is going to be in serious trouble regarding fresh potable water and I'm certain it will be Canada who will be there to provide for our excellent neighbours to the south.

You can thank your lucky American stars that Canada also has an abundance of oil for you as well, especially if things don't work out in the Muddled East.

Finally, while Canadians may not (as has been said a dozen times in this thread) especially like American foreign policies, when the good people of the United States are threatened in their homes by whatever bugbear decides to visit, you can count on us being there to help in whatever way we can, regardless of the inane comments by some of the less intelligent posters here.

And, DE...when I'm in Tdot next time, I am going to let you know so I can buy you a beer. You too, Intrepid...

[edit on 8-8-2005 by masqua]

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Well I think Canada will align themselves with the United States. However, I'm sure they will not have too much help. Pretty much every other nation in the world beside a few in the middle east and the west Europe don't have a favorable image of the US. Why do you think there are massive bloc's forging around the world? To Counter balance the West power. Two groups which should not be underestimated are the European Union and most notably the BRIC alliance (Brazil, Russia, India, China,). By 2050, Together, the BRIC GDP will be larger than the G6 in US dollars according to Goldman Sachs Economic Research and also their militaries by then will be way to massive and powerful for the US to handle.

www.gs.com...

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 02:22 PM
link   
BTW, think its G8 by now. Also, I think in was deceased President Regan who allowed Canada into the G5 at a cost of Mulroney signing off on NAFTA.

Dallas

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dallas

BTW, think its G8 by now. Also, I think in was deceased President Regan who allowed Canada into the G5 at a cost of Mulroney signing off on NAFTA.

Dallas

Allowed??

Please source-ify yourself (i know it's not a word but you get it...hopefully)

new topics
top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join