It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fido And Fluffy Are Ruining The Environment, UCLA Study Says

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

Human / plant relations. Seems a bit seedy to me.

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555

Human / plant relations. Seems a bit seedy to me.

Try to hug the ones with smooth bark, just a tip.

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Well, maybe a nice fruit tree if I can get a nice peach or something out of it.

edit on 8/4/2017 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

You don't "own" cats...they tolerate you, while pretending to like you. If anyone is owned, it's the humans.

That having been said...

I love cats. I prefer cats over most humans.

Dogs, now, dogs are man's companion. I'd kill to protect my furry little pal, the which can not be said for most humans, again.

Leave my dogs and cat, alone. You'll live longer.

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Well, maybe a nice fruit tree if I can get a nice peach or something out of it.

Or peaches.
And, fossil fuels have to go by way of the dinosaur too.
edit on 18CDT02America/Chicago05220231 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 02:57 PM
link   

ETA: In college in the early 70's I was taught as a fact, that all the trees north of the Canadian border would be dead by fifteen years or so ago. Same group that is currently on the GW train, so the jig is up for them.

Acid rain... and the only reason that changed was environmental regulations in the late 70's and beyond

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Hey now, you got me to consider hugging a tree and that will have to do for now.

Fossil fuel use will end when it's economically viable to for it to happen, but no pets will need killed between now and then. No rich people need to become richer by fake carbon credit schemes they sell to the people they have fooled into believing them.

We all want a clean and healthy environment, no matter what side of issues we fall on. The nonsense activism won't get us any closer though and those concerned should spend their time encouraging research and development rather than pushing for impossible goals right now that would harm a lot of people for no good reason.

Environmentalism keeps shooting itself in the foot, like when they taught all the falsehoods to my generation, insisting it was a fact, just as they are doing right now.

I can't help but wonder how much could be done and done much faster if people who want to be the center of attention by screaming the loudest and trying to scare people, would just put that energy into finding affordable solutions. The key here being affordable. Money does not grow on trees or I'd be out hugging them all the time.

First things first after telling UCLA to kiss my backside and stop wasting money on silly, meaningless studies. Before we panic and raise energy prices so high that old folks on SS have to choose between eating, or running the air conditioning to save their lives during heat waves, we all need to take a deep breath and work together on sensible solutions, not pie in the sky get rich schemes fed to us by rich people with ill intent.

You just had to get me started ...

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

And that's the problem.

They want to "punish" us all into complying with their solutions because it makes them more money and gives them more power, but if the solutions were really all that good, everyone would naturally flock to them and no one would have to be "punished" into them.

And I love the irony of fossil fuels going the way of the dinosaurs who had no small role in helping create it in the first place ...

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

It's more than that Byrd.

We were taught that -

-All the trees north of the Canadian border would be dead by 2000, not due to acid rain, but due to global cooling. At least that's what I was taught in a California college in about 74-75.

-All the oil would be gone before 2014.

-There was not enough arable land on the planet to support the population and by 2000 hundreds of millions would die.

-All the nuclear material would be consumed before the oil ran out.

There was much more, but those are the things that come to mind right now. Science never seems to want to admit it's evolving or that a theory is a theory and often science gets it wrong. When it is wrong, an excuse is always made, but the errors are seldom admitted to.

The fear mongering never seems to get us anywhere and the hysterics from activists does not help. Pretending we don't all want a clean, healthy environment is also counterproductive.

Spiking trees was just for attention, killed and harmed innocent people and never helped with anything.

Lying about the Spotted Owl and destroying peoples livelihoods did not help and no apologies ever happened, even after it was known widely that Spotted Owls live in many environments, including the desert and were never at risk.

Apologies were made for activists stopping the sound forestry practices in Arizona and causing a huge fire, but no such apology came when Yellowstone burned for the same ridiculous reason.

The huge elk herds are almost gone in Yellowstone now due to competition with the Bison, that never did actually live there to begin with, thanks to law suits from radical groups. Not a peep about how much damage that did to the elk.

When the transplanted wolves in Yellowstone started leaving and killing livestock one State Biologist did actually admit that he knew that the wolves were never gone from Idaho where I lived. I could have taken them to see a pack of local wolves in that area, that had been protected by the farmers and ranchers they hated, but it was well known to keep silent about the wolves to protect them. So many lies involved with activists. I personally watched a wolf in Yellowstone die on the side of the road a couple of weeks before the wolves were transplanted. One of the wolves that were falsely claimed not to exist.

Bald Eagles were never at risk and on and on and on with the counterproductive garbage. There were more Bald Eagles in just the area I lived in then than they admitted to in that entire part of the country and they just tried to silence those who spoke the truth with law suits, based on lies.

Wild eyed activism is not the answer and it in fact drives sensible people away from the subject.

While working in Eureka, California I picked up what looked like a forest service publication while waiting in line at a deli for lunch. In it were coloring pages for children with instructions how to destroy construction and logging equipment, telling the children "sometimes your parents are wrong" with illustrations to color of how to put things in the fuel tanks. I called the forest service and they sent someone out to get the copy from me and then destroyed the rest of them. While we were standing in front of the office building, an old luxury car billowing blue smoke drove by and the the man who came pointed at it and said "you know who that is"? Then he told me it was the head of the Earth First group and that was what he drove. Two people died while I was there due to spiked trees.

While there I ended up on a plane that flew over the area and miracles of all miracles, instead of seeing the massive clear cuts I expected to see, there were only a few area's spread out here and there and it was obvious they had not put much of a dent in it.

It has seemed to me that activists just go with whatever they are told and truth be damned.

I'm all for cleaner energy and a clean environment, but what I'm against is the insane activism that will never lead to anything but more harm than good.

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 04:18 PM
link   
boooo! pets are a fabulous contribution to our lives.
they are not the oxygen thieves of primary concern. humans are.
the 'pros' of pets outweigh the 'cons' by a mile.

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 04:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed
a reply to: Christosterone

Look there is a compromise here to be found, as a dog person I say let's get rid of cats. That's a win win situation for all involved.

I know of a few Chinese restaurants that got caught serving up cat.

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 05:09 PM
link   

I remember all of that, too. It was worse in the middle schools and high schools where I was at the time...

One of the WTF moments I ever had was when I was in Homer, Alaska--I couldn't believe how many eagles there were, both Bald, and Golden. Hundreds of them within a few square miles.

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 05:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
One of the WTF moments I ever had was when I was in Homer, Alaska--I couldn't believe how many eagles there were, both Bald, and Golden. Hundreds of them within a few square miles.

Right? They're a massive nuisance animal up here in many ways. I've seen tidal flats at low tide when the little hooligan fish are spawning that had more bald eagles than you could count sitting along the water edge. Interestingly enough, the past 3 summers we've been seeing a few Steller's sea eagles actually nesting around South Central. They've been known to visit in the past, but it's rare for them to nest in North America. If that ever becomes a serious thing, it will be interesting to see how the "save the Earth" crowd responds. Bald Eagles don't deal well with the faster, much larger Steller's eagle. Amazing bird to watch, really, believed to be the bird responsible for Alaska native Thunderbird legends.

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 05:44 PM
link   
If I find another botfly or tick in/on my cats I'll send it their way.

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

No pictures?

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 05:52 PM
link   
They can have my pet when they pry it from my dead hands!

What if your pet is a vegan? I seriously knew someone whose dog ate raisins!

If boffins say so (cats and dogs are ruining the environment) there is only one solution...

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

I know in Southeast Idaho, Bald Eagles were plentiful; far more of them than was being admitted to at the time.

It was amazing to drive through Yellowstone and end up in a traffic jam as they had slowed people down to not upset a nest near the road. Bald Eagles nest in peoples yards and they seem to be just fine. If you found a feather lying on the ground, you could not pick it up because to do so was punishable by five years and $50,000. The whole thing was just crazy.

I watched as a nut who relocated from California and built a place next door to stockyards, miles from town, that had been there for many generations, was all but shut down because the odor of manure had dared to drift by the California transplants nose and they sued. A multiple generation business all but destroyed because while barbecuing steaks for a wedding party the smell of the source of the steaks dared to enter their safe space. ...and they wonder why locals are not more accommodating to transplants who move there for the quality of life and then try and turn it into the hellhole they just fled.

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 06:05 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 06:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed
Look there is a compromise here to be found, as a dog person I say let's get rid of cats. That's a win win situation for all involved.

Ah yes, the Butcherguy Amendment.

I need to see if the EPA will sponsor my production of a Public Service Announcement :
All Cats Must Die.

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Oh well. I guess we can all get pet cockroaches! Maybe start a cockroach milk farm.

Btw, went on a raft trip down a river here in AK. We got off the lake, shot some rapids, then the river slowed down. One of us yelled, "Hey look! An eagle!", and pointed. "That was cool!!", went around the raft. A mile later (paddling), "Another one!" Around a bend or two, we float under a tree with a couple bald eagles sitting there. "Awesome!!" Turn the next corner and it was like a scene from The Birds. There must been 40 or 50 all roosting waiting for fish to swim by. Nobody bothered pointing out eagles for the rest of the trip!

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join