It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Words can now kill

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Thank you for bringing back reality to ATS

Mad respect DB!

This is a REAL issue, that needs more than KBBFTT!

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 08:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: eisegesis
a reply to: Blaine91555

What constitutes "at risk to kill themselves?"

A formal diagnosis might qualify. Was there one?

Sometimes, people say they're going to commit suicide just to get attention.

What constitutes a reasonable responsibility of humanity? If someone is simply seeking attention, where does one set the limit between "had no ill intent" and "goaded the person into actually doing it?" We're talking about repeated "don't be a coward, get back in the car" "nobody will miss you" "do it already" texts sent by this woman to the man... at the very least that's evidence of harrassment.

link   

originally posted by: eNumbra
Op makes a good point.

Free Charlie Manson!

It's things like this that make me think I could be wrong.

link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
I think everyone has brought up some great points.

It's enough to give me pause.

Indeed. It is a very difficult case for me on a few levels.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

But could those texts and whatever else be defined as coercion?

How do you think the Military uses coercion to influence otherwise normal young men to pick up a rifle and kill?

Edit: Its a process of manipulation and control supplanting ones identity with another, called "orders" to kill.
edit on 3-8-2017 by intrptr because: edit:

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Eh yeah..just hmm
edit on 3-8-2017 by mericks74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Never mind.

Edit- Go Cowboys!!!
edit on 3-8-2017 by uwontbelievethis because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 08:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: eisegesis
Sometimes, people say they're going to commit suicide just to get attention.

Let me interject here, that sentence alone is a sign that something is wrong. Someone saying that to get attention is basically asking for help.

A colleague said things like that for years, to himself and sometimes straight in peoples faces. It didn´t end well although he was on meds (and therefor, in therapy).

Imagine someone saying to him "DO IT" everytime he was asking for help.
edit on 3-8-2017 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 08:18 PM
link   

A young woman who as a teenager encouraged her suicidal boyfriend to kill himself in dozens of text messages and told him to "get back in" a truck filled with toxic gas was sentenced Thursday to 15 months in jail for involuntary manslaughter.

abcnews.go.com...

Spoken words, just words can now get you convicted of manslaughter.

Spoken words, not actions, just words can get you sent to jail.

I was torn on this issue. I was saddened to hear about what the young man did and thought that the young lady was culpable. But all she did was speak and text. She didn't use force.

She just spoke.

She just texted.

But now just saying or writing something that encourages another individual to commit an act (suicide) is punishable.

So "Just Do It" should be changed to "Just Do It as long as you are safe and no one gets harmed". Call Nike. Quickly.

I'm just a small town boy, living in this lonely world, so I don't have all the answers.

But this bothers me.

You have to ask, is this the letter of the law, and was this a comprehensive trial.
The last man in Britain to hang, which was for murder, was for allegedly telling the actual gunman to shoot 'him'.... him being a policeman. That gunman was too young to be hanged, and may even be still alive..I don't know.

Everything about the case was controversial however.

I do think that the girl should bear some responsibility though, regardless of what the charge would end up being called. The charge itself is what the police decide, and if it carries through a court having regard to all circumstances, then it's official.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 08:23 PM
link   
.-

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Yes. Words are very powerful. Little bits of information communication that has the ability to save a life or start wars. The spoken word is but a tool, and as with any other tool, it all depends on if you use it for good or bad.

Now I don't know what was on this girls heart when she was communicating with the person whom is deceased, but something tells me she was not trying to help him. Not that you have to help someone, but if morality plays an importance to character and integrity then she is guilty of having neither, not that one has to. AT best I hope this girl actually learns from this and does not continue down an uncaring road. Troubling times indeed.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 08:28 PM
link   

This isn't a new thing.

It would be like saying Hitler was completely innocent because he only told people to kill Jews, he never actually pulled the trigger himself.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 08:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

It comes down to each case individually. In some instances, yes, she should have been charged with reckless disregard, or however it's phrased...In other instances, maybe not.

This is the grayest of areas. ...and every time I think to opine, my opinion changes.

I think that's exactly right. Each case stands or falls on it's own and that's why we have judges and juries to sort it out.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: 3daysgone

There is a saying, your post reminded me about it:

You can undo most things but never the words you´ve spoken.

It´s german but I tried my best to translate.
edit on 3-8-2017 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 08:33 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

Except as I understand this case, the victim was already in the act of killing himself and this person knew that. No diagnosis was needed for someone of her age to know what the end result might be.

She certainly has compassion and "regard" for herself looking at the video in the courtroom.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 08:33 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 08:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: annoyedpharmacist

originally posted by: Blaine91555
a reply to: annoyedpharmacist

I don't think any "precedent" was set by this that did not already exist. The definition of what she was found guilty of is pretty clear.

What you suggest is quite different than encouraging someone who is already in the act of trying to kill themselves, to finish it.

Ok, so if the wife saw him, say with a gun to his head, didnt think he would do it, and said "go ahead, kill yourself". Then similar charges?

Yes, I'd call that reckless and she would be acting without regard for her husbands life.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 08:34 PM
link   

I think we can call a duck a duck, in this case she´s a monster in my eyes.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I think db put it best, not worth the skin she's in. Not superhuman. Not she ra. Just a skank. Find some way to loaf her off even if you've gotta plant something

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 08:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: eNumbra
Op makes a good point.

Free Charlie Manson!

It's things like this that make me think I could be wrong.

Then on the other hand, they still haven't brought "Sam" to justice for all of his "son's" killings.

Anyway, she should be prosecuted. She put him back in the truck after he got out.

Isn't there a "depraved indifference" thing somewhere?

No matter how you slice it, encouraging someone to kill themselves is morally wrong and I guess legally wrong too, in the cases that have been tried.

Different than assisted suicide?

edit on 8 3 2017 by burgerbuddy because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join