It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Words can now kill

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 07:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Anathros

Casually saying something and encouraging someone depressed to go kill themselves does not seem similar to me.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I think everyone on the planet thinks this woman is a total waste of human skin. And they'd all be correct, in my opinion.

But that isn't illegal.

Could the boy have simply hung up the phone thus ending the call?

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

This one is tough.. she undoubtedly played a role in his suicide, but like you said, it's only words and nobody physically forced him.

Although she deserved it, this is a very dangerous road to go down. I don't know the answers, I also don't know how I would feel if she got off scott-free either.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 07:42 PM
link   
So it came to pass, on August 3rd, 2017, that we all became unaccountable for our actions. What's next? Someobody constantly badgered me, so it's their fault I killed them? Unbelievable.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 07:43 PM
link   
It's a short leap from this to deciding that controversial speech ought to be silenced.

She is a complete piece of human trash and there is a big, black hole where a normal person's soul resides, but she didn't physically harm him.

For the rest of us, this case sets a troubling precedent that could be used in other court cases where the line is a lot less clear.

link   

Death by a thousand words.

This should never be thing, stupid lawmakers however will think it a good idea

link   

originally posted by: NowanKenubi
a reply to: Anathros

Casually saying something and encouraging someone depressed to go kill themselves does not seem similar to me.

It's a slippery slope. Could you have imagined this sentence being passed 20 years ago? Not likely. 200 years ago, she'd been burned for witchcraft most likely. Seems we're regressing with all the progressives out there.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 07:46 PM
link   
I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who has an issue with her getting jail time. The things that she did were incredibly cruel, immoral, and psychopathic, but this boy was the one who, instead of blocking her and talking to others about what she did, went right ahead like a robot and killed himself.

I don't like the idea that she is being punished for saying mean things. Where is the personal responsibility of the young man who made the choice to do what this little idiot teenager told him to?

This sets a precedence that I can see turning into a slippery slope.

link   
There are multiple instances where BLM and KKK and other "groups" have, in the past, called for the death of some group or another.

I know. I've defended their right to free speech here on ATS.

Does a case like this set a precedent for acts committed from simple words spoken in a public arena?

link   

He was depressed; his brain was chemically imbalanced. He was clearly unable to decide anything. And if you hope to get a nice word to cling to some hope and your told "nope, no love for you, die" can be pretty harsh on someone.

She refused to help someone in danger, she even helped put him in danger with her words. Surely this calls for some justice?

If he was holding on a ledge, asked for help and she pushed him down, does the argument he shouldn't have put himself in that position first be ok?

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 07:48 PM
link   

But those guys that watched a man drown, making fun of him the whole time committed no crime.

Sounds about right.

link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
I think everyone on the planet thinks this woman is a total waste of human skin. And they'd all be correct, in my opinion.

But that isn't illegal.

Could the boy have simply hung up the phone thus ending the call?

i really get the feeling that you either don't understand or discount entirely the extreme vulnerability of mental illness.

there are laws against scamming elderly people out of their money by confusing them. should they just not be so easily confused?

link   
a reply to: NowanKenubi

Is saying, "Let go" to someone on a ledge the same as prying their fingers off?

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Yeah. Tough call...but common sense needs to prevail.

I've had people tell me to go f**k myself...and if I ever figure out how to do that, I'm going to charge them with rape.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 07:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

Yeah. Tough call...but common sense needs to prevail.

I've had people tell me to go f**k myself...and if I ever figure out how to do that, I'm going to charge them with rape.

Lol. Star for this.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 07:50 PM
link   
a reply to: fiverx313

Do we police our speech on ATS for fear of someone who is mentally unbalanced committing some act?

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 07:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

But those guys that watched a man drown, making fun of him the whole time committed no crime.

Sounds about right.

Did they encourage him?

Sounds like, even as they were laughing and filming they said, "you gonna drown, junkie, get out" if I recall.

Different set of circumstances.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 07:51 PM
link   
So if I was in charge of the suicide hotline waiting music and chose to play "jump" by Van Halen...am I liable?

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 07:53 PM
link   

In the end? Yes, he should have hung up the phone, or blocked her--whatever the proper procedures are in each circumstance.

Ultimately, he decided to end his life. His action, his consequence. She's not culpable to the extent of, I hesitate to use deserving, but deserving is the word, jail time.

It's enough to know that, assuming she has any morals at all, she has to live with her actions for the rest of her life.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 07:53 PM
link   
If I write post after post about how terrible Trump is, and someone tries to kill him based on what I wrote, am I guilty of assassination also?

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join