It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Half of Detroit’s 8 mayoral candidates are felons

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

It sounds like these guys truly represent the people in their constituency.

Working as intended?

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 08:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

I dont believe it....no way....its impossible.
Has anybody taken a deep look at the other 4?
50% sounds low.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

I don't see a problem with the ones who've reformed themselves. Once someone's done their time, they've repaid their "debt" to society. And I'd rather they run for office than revert back to whatever they were doing that got them in legal trouble (not that politics and crime are mutually exclusive, of course).

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

If given a choice between a non felon and felon, and all other things being equal, non felon.

I do think people can change.

Detroit needs to be above reproach if they want to continue the rebuilding progress that is happening. All things considered, I would try my best to keep my politicians clean, if that's possible.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Maybe Detroit needs a Mayor that actually understands her citizens?

Choirboys sure as hell won't fit the bill.

I'm not saying we need to go all "Thunderdome" in the Mayoral races, but having someone that actually lives within 50 miles of the city would be a huge change.

Having a felony conviction doesn't bother most citizens because most of us have at least one family member with one. Come to find out they are just like the rest of us (they just make better raymen).

I seriously doubt anyone elected is going to be waving a pistol around at meetings or selling "horse" on Cass Corridor. They sure can't be any worse than the last three we had so why not let they best person win (and let the citizens choose).

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 09:56 PM
link   
a reply to: 200Plus

Maybe in Detroit they don't mind, but in other parts of Mich if you got a record-need not apply. Try having a DWI and win a campaign for mayor.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Tranny likely okay though, no madd mamas over that.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 10:53 PM
link   
who cares? let them elect felons to rule them they can become the next Chicago.

I don`t care I don`t live in either of those #holes.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 10:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

Fair enough.. they might be horrible people..

I'm just saying felony means jack $-!T ..

You being a felon is only immoral or bad if only bad crimes are felonies..

...so you're on board with reinstatement of 2nd amendment rights to felons who's crimes were unrelated to violence or weapons, I assume?

Pretty sure they get them back here upon release from prison/completion of probation. That's fairly standard for many states, though the time frame can vary somewhat, I think. Others differ only in that one has to petition for their voting rights to be restored.

AFAIK, only the two Big Kahuna swing states deny ever reinstating voting rights. That's Iowa, and Florida, btw (sure seems like a suspiciously strategic nixing of voting rights, now doesn't it? Tickle yourselves with that conspiracy feather)

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 11:01 PM
link   

If given a choice between a non felon and felon, and all other things being equal, non felon.

How can "all other things being equal" apply when dealing with actual candidates? That's impossible. All candidates are going to have different amounts & levels of experience; different ideas & potential policies; different scandals, etc. As long as the person isn't still committing those crimes, I'd have no problem voting for a ex-felon, as long as I think their proposed policies would be in my best interest.

Besides, from my vantage point, the most corrupt people have never been convicted.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 11:07 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

So get your measuring tape out I suppose.

Edit: You are correct about the the most corrupt not being prosecuted.
edit on 3-8-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 02:07 PM
link   

You expected different? Seems pretty much par for the course in Detroit to me.

posted on Aug, 5 2017 @ 07:45 AM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

Attemted murder .. no biggie.

posted on Aug, 5 2017 @ 07:47 AM
link   
it's none of your business if they are felons or not they probably know more about the injustice of the judicial system and how corrupt it is than you

they paid their debt now it's time to allow them to live their lives stop pretending your perfect

- those who cast stones

posted on Aug, 5 2017 @ 07:55 AM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

When you vote in a crook don't get mad if you get swindled.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join