It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gene-editing breakthrough could spell end of hereditary disease

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Scientists could soon stop genetic diseases in humans before they are even born, according to an international research team that has successfully repaired faulty DNA in a live embryo.

"Every generation on would carry this repair because we've removed the disease-causing gene variant from that family's lineage,”

Source

Scientists have found a way to potentially erase any of the thousands of hereditary disorders that currently exist in humans. Unfortunately, the editing of human genes tends to cause heated debate. Whether or not we ever implement something like this for the general public is yet to be seen, particularly because of all the people who will shout "Eugenics! Nazis!" at the mere mention of trying to fight life-altering disorders and improve the quality of life for millions who would otherwise suffer such things.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Great, one more way to give the rich an edge over us unwashed masses.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 07:04 AM
link   
a reply to: trollz

Interesting idea. I don't trust people enough to not # this up. Lordcomac made a good point. This will further the gap between the haves and have nots in some way but hey! maybe obamacare will cover it : /

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Great news. Gene editing is the future of medicine and will eliminate many disorders as well as become a management tool for chronic diseases such as Cancer.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Dwarfism runs through my moms side of the
family so this is great news to me.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Maybe we can edit out the stupid gene or the poor people gene, that way everyone will be rich. That's how it works right?

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 08:32 AM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

Only bad people have no money, so yes

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 08:33 AM
link   
The benefits of this is overwhelming. No more shall our children be hindered by bad genes that keep them from living normal lives. Like lordcomac said. It will further separate the rich from the poor.

We know what power can do to us. But what would a genetic superior human do with the power he or she would have? It will divide us in a way that can be comprehended

On the bright side we will give birth to Kahn and around 2053 we will have our world war three

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Who knows, maybe this will be cheep procedure in a few years and anyone can have it. Questions will be, do you have a choice to decline it and what else is being altered in the DNA?

The world population will certainly increase if people live longer is another issue.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 08:48 AM
link   

I saw this on the nightly news.

Scary part is it leads the way to designer babies ...

That is flying in the face of natural selection and population control.

So now we are the "new" god/creator ?

We do not have the disposition to be such .

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 08:57 AM
link   

I'm actually worried about too casual sale and use of gene editing kits using CRISPR, TALENs or Zinc Fingers (on any life form) but I'm in favour of the possibility of ending genetic diseases.

Cost is not really an issue as you can get RNA fragments for as little as $10, a basic CRISPR kit for $30 and a more featured kit for less than $500.

What is really needed is an ethical framework and some form of policing to ensure it is held to. Currently, if you buy the kit, you can do what you want with it.

edit on 3/8/2017 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 10:03 AM
link   

It's a big step...

We have not yet even begun to scratch the surface of what we can do with genetics..

ATLEAST Everything observable in nature is possible... no telling what is actually the limit..

Hopefully we don't accidentally make a virus or something...

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Timely

Could be a great thing if we don't screw it up..

We should be able to do ANYTHING nature can one day.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: LogicalGraphitti

This has the potential to lower health care costs world wide significantly.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

Lowering the frequency of necessary health care does not automatically lower the cost. What it would do, though, is make those who couldn't afford this gene therapy have to pay more for the care that used to be commonplace.

Regardless, all of this is hypothetical, so I guess that it's not worth getting into a debate over how this would affect cost or availability of subsequent health care.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 10:41 AM
link   

If true, then good news, but we must heed warnings of potentially fatal side effects.

Look at anaerobic steroids for instance-sure players use performance enhancing drugs and they might enhance their performance but there is a significantly higher rate of heart failure and stroke but they still do it anyway, we humans keep wanting to go places we shouldn't go.

By all means do what you must but don't try to fix a problem that could create others. This is shaky ground.

edit on 3-8-2017 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-8-2017 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 10:41 AM
link   
One day, some people will be sitting in a bunker and one will ask another how the zombie apocalypse started. . . . . .

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Moving one step towards the movie, Gattica.

Here is an interesting one. What if this gene stuff can prevent homosexuality? It is argued that people are "born that way", so by extension if this gene therapy works then how would people react if parents decide they want to prevent homosexuality?

Gays have told us they are born that way and therefore should be accepted. Ok. Well, so are people with Down Syndrome. I'd venture a lot of people would try to prevent their child from having DS. Most would not argue against. Does that same logic apply to homosexuality?

Just posing the question as when I was in college, this was brought up during a philosophical debate and it blew up the gay community on campus.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 11:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
Moving one step towards the movie, Gattica.

Here is an interesting one. What if this gene stuff can prevent homosexuality? It is argued that people are "born that way", so by extension if this gene therapy works then how would people react if parents decide they want to prevent homosexuality?

I look forward to the religious whackjobs who currently think homosexuality is a lifestyle choice, being presented with the option to tinker with the fundamental building blocks of life and thereby overturn The Lord God's decision to give them a gay child.

I predict a few exploding heads among that crowd.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: trollz

Scientists could soon stop genetic diseases in humans before they are even born, according to an international research team that has successfully repaired faulty DNA in a live embryo.

"Every generation on would carry this repair because we've removed the disease-causing gene variant from that family's lineage,”

Source

Scientists have found a way to potentially erase any of the thousands of hereditary disorders that currently exist in humans. Unfortunately, the editing of human genes tends to cause heated debate. Whether or not we ever implement something like this for the general public is yet to be seen, particularly because of all the people who will shout "Eugenics! Nazis!" at the mere mention of trying to fight life-altering disorders and improve the quality of life for millions who would otherwise suffer such things.

Can I use this new technology retroactively? My two sons are real dumb-a$$es.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join