It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meet "Hog Kong" with amazing photo

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 03:19 PM
link   
You are most welcome. Yes domestic hogs can be dangerous but they are nothing compared to a wild boar. To my mind, a man with a gun vs wild boar is a pretty even match. I don’t hunt boar because I like my dogs alive and well at the end of a hunt. This guy that shot Hog-thra apparently had some experience. He said he preferred a 44 magnum hand gun because it allowed him to run through brush unimpeded. While this has never been a problem for me the selection of a high caliber gun is an indication that he did indeed have experience at this sort of thing. I suspect that a feral pig is nowhere near as dangerous as a wild boar. In any case I don’t recommend anyone attempt to take down a wild porcine unless they know well what they are doing.

We are all aware of the danger that a lion, tiger, or bear, oh my, poses to humans but boars are right up there on the danger ranking along with groupers and moray eels. My advice is to never ever attempt to pet a moray eel the way the fools on TV do because the thing will grab your hand and go down his hole and coil up and hold you there. Your only option is to amputate. Don’t do it folks those TV guys are whack! I suspect they semi-train the morays before hand feeding and petting the ugly things on TV.

It’s a disservice to the general public to not fully inform people just how dangerous they can be. Groupers are another story and you only have to worry about the gigantic ones but they will attack you. I worry more about groupers than sharks when I dive.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I had no idea that hogs could get that big. WOW! That is one very scary beast.

SMR

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Thats one big pork rine!!!!
Gimmie a bottle of Tabasco and Im there!!

I see no reason they cant get that large.If humans can become obese,why not pigs,which closely resemble humans.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 06:57 AM
link   
wowe.... that thing is massive. you could ride him to market. or maybe try to breed him with willing bird, and their offspring could be superpigs.. ahh if only genetics worked like on tv

and since were doing fat animals, check this baby out:

meeeowww! be afraid, be very afraid. they are taking over!!!!

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by MsCGA
Here's another "monster wild hog" story, but this time there's a photo that's easier to believe. This time someone claims to have shot a 1,100 lb. hog in their own yard.

www.jacksonville.com...

I remember on a visit to Florida as a little girl ( I think I was maybe 10 ) being scared out of my grandparents' yard by a wild boar, but it sure wasn't the size of this thing. Myabe this one's just a domestic hog running loose.

I heard Tony Roma's bought him anyone else hear that

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I sincerely hope that Hog Kong was eaten or it would have been a shameful waste of a "range fed" hog. I doubt a restaurant would buy him because they are required to serve only USDA inspected meat.

Since he was wild it is possible that he was grazing in a polluted area and contains toxins. To qualify for true "range fed" status requires the animal be confined on range land that is certified organic (something like twenty years free of pesticides and fertilizers etc) . Regardless of that possibility I would be gratified to declare him delicious.

Mankinds dominance and domestication of our animal friends has resulted in many profound alterations to natures design. I am comforted by the idea that nature in her wisdom has provided a genetic back door mechanism that can undo the work of man and restore these creatures to their primal forms. I am comforted because one sunny day mankind may not be around and they will have to return to fending for themselves.

Genetic bio-engineering of domestic animals is, in my opinion, a bad thing because we are tinkering with the fundamentals of life itself while utterly bereft of the required divine wisdom.

Putting the genes of a jelly fish that can digest sulphur into a hog (which notoriously cannot) may seem like a good idea but I sincerely doubt it. Its already being done. Kind of lends a new meaning to jellied ham aye?

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I saw that photo some time ago on this site.

Some time after i saw that they had investigated and reached the conclusion that it was a true story.

You may read that page here, and they have one more picture showing the man who killed the hog and the gun.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 11:17 PM
link   
The Sept. 1978 issue of the National Geographic magazine includes an article titled “The Joy of Pigs” that starts like this:

“Of course your pooch is a clever beast, and your tabby is probably just as bright but simply doesn’t choose to flaunt it. But, to my mind, when it comes to pure, native intelligence, both of them are completely overshadowed by that barnyard paragon, the pig.

“ ’Stupid swine?’ Don’t you believe it!

“Scientists say that pigs, unlike all other domestic animals, arrive at solutions to problems by thinking them through, and pig experts report that the animals can be --and have been-- taught to accomplish about any feat a dog can master, and usually in a shorter time.

“There was the sow in 18th-century England that became a better pointer than the bird dogs from whom, by mere observation, she learned the skill.

(…)

“And then there’s my own good pet, Fido, who easily mastered the bolt lock I had put on a kitchen cabinet in a futile attempt to foil his periodic raids on my condiments.”

These are sensitive animals, and they are far more clever than dogs (some have been trained as circus animals), but only one person on this thread has shown any sympathy for them. Who was that poor thing hurting? It was just quietly surviving in the wild, harming nobody, but the first thing that redneck lout did was go and bring a firearm. He could’ve called for help, captured the pig and taken it to a zoo or college, where people would’ve had the chance to come and see a marvelous specimen, and eventually the kindness of its keepers would’ve turned it into a charming pet.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 12:11 AM
link   
wild boars arent pigs, i doubt you can domesticate such an aggressive animal, they do attack people if they see them, seriously such a huge boar is a threat that close to farm areas.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Oooop-sy doopsy...! Sorry about that! I guess I'm being a little trigger-happy, wanting to take a shot at the flesh and entrail eaters out there, who are "red in tooth and claw". However, such an unusual beast deserved to be captured rather than murdered.

Someone has pointed out that Florida is still somewhat wild territory. A brother of mine who used to live in Melbourne, near Cape Canaveral, told me that an alligator was once found near his home in a pond, and he was worried about his own children.

Years ago I read an article in "Time" magazine about some huge, aggressive catfish in Florida that attacked cats and dogs as they moved in large numbers over the land. These fish have special structures that keep their gills moist and allow them to crawl around, looking for better waters.

[edit on 14-2-2005 by Macrento]

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Feral hogs are not wild boars. Feral hogs are not rare specimans and I doubt a zoo would be interested in putting one on display. Whether feral hog or wild boar a wild porcine is an extremely dangerous animal.

Yes Florida has walking catfish. Back in the 60's a truck carrying these critters wrecked in the Everglades and released them into the wild. They do not attack dogs and cats. A dog or a cat could kill a walking catfish easily as they are literally fish out of water. Here's a link

www.flmnh.ufl.edu...

The good news is that they seem to have integrated into the eco system and the population has become stable without tremendous negative impact. Florida suffers from many invasive species that do not belong there and displace the native species. Florida's native species are very passive and cannot compete with aggressive invaders. The Florida alligator is a creature that is very docile. About the only way you could get one riled is to stand on its nest and act like your digging. Other than that they are not very aggressive at all. They like to eat dogs though. I used to keep a photo on my wall of a gator climbing over a 12 foot high chain link fence to eat the dog that was tied to a tree in the yard. I'm not saying they are safe and cuddly but they certainly are not like crocodiles or the extremely aggressive caman. I remember watching the Fish and Wildlife guys dynamite a gator hole that had become infested with caman. A caman will chase you at a rapid rate of speed and climb a tree to get you. Not even a croc will do that. Thank god Florida doesn't have them, at least not any that they know about.

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 05:36 AM
link   
So it WAS a piggy then. This is an aggravating circumstance and makes the slaughter even more heinous. Rare or not, I would’ve paid to see the specimen. The man could’ve placed it on display (alive) and he might’ve made a load of money.

I do remember the “Time” mag article said the walking fish attacked some household pets. That sounds credible enough, unlike Reptilians from outer space (at least none of our Mods believes they exist, anyhow). The description at the address you give explains that they have “pointed teeth“. Imagine a cat approaching and sniffing and pawing one out of curiosity. The natural reaction of the fish will be to defend itself with a bite. On the other hand, I was mistaken about their size: they can’t be said to be “huge” since their length doesn’t go beyond 2 ft. or so. Fabulous creatures anyway!

What other surprises might Floridee hold in its deadly swamps? Other-dimensional window fallers maybe?

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 08:35 AM
link   
its just a big ol' tame hog. nothing wild or aggressive about those kind of hogs

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Macrento how is it heinous to shoot a charging 1100 pound wild hog on your own property and use the meat to feed the poor?

I am genuinely interested to hear your reasoning.

A walking catfish flops around on the ground after a rain as it slips and slides to the next water hole. The only threat they pose is to dragon fly larvae.

Florida has a healthy population of piranha now. The native blue skink is now extremely endangered. The Florida land crab's numbers have been vastly reduced. I remember seeing armies of these guys crossing the road and some being smushed by car tires some would lift their claws toward the approaching Uniroyal juggernaut in a last act of defiance and blow out the tire. This necessitated changing a tire in the hot sun with the oder of crab permeating the air. I once saw the most spectacular green bug that glowed as it walked across my floor, I carefully put it outside.

Florida has many interesting and exotic forms of wildlife. I love wildlife. Once when hunting in Florida I came upon a strange creature with the head and torso of a man and the legs, horns and hooves of a goat eating a fern in a small glade. He was delicious with mint jelly.

(just joking, I have a statue of Pan in my yard I would never shoot Pan.)

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 05:18 AM
link   
My reasoning involves the fact that years ago I stopped eating anything that has come out of a slaughterhouse because there they kill so-called “higher” animals, which are quite sensitive. There’s where I decided to draw the line. This means that I’m not a strict vegetarian and that my diet is what is called “ovolactovegetarian”, but more precisely, “pisciovolactovegetarian”. If I were to spend some time in the wild I wouldn’t mind going fishing, then slitting the belly of a fish, tearing out its guts and scraping off its scales, then frying it in a pan. Biology textbooks say that fish have few pain sensors, which means that pain does not affect them as it affects higher life forms.

I object to the way we mistreat creatures that share with us the same emotions. If we can communicate with them it is because they and we speak the same interspecific language of feelings. Hog Kong attacked because he sensed that his life was in danger. Surely all this reasoning is wasted effort when aimed at people who enjoy killing animals who are similar to ourselves. My intention is not to offend but to try and put across a different point of view.

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I detest high intensity hog farming and the way we mis-treat animals that we use for food. I have recently read Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser and concur with his sentiments. In a way you are preaching to the choir. I do not object to eating meat for ethical reasons but at various times I have been a raw foodist, a vegatarian, a pesco-vegetarian and other shades of "tarianism".

After being a strict vegetarian for over thirty years members of my family have found themselves in a situation where they have to eat a small portion of meat once a month to maintain good health. Not everyone can be a total vegetarian. I do not object to eating wild game on ethical grounds. I simply don't see a problem with it. I don't hunt deer anymore because of wasting disease but I do take wild turkeys when in season. Certain deities have been recorded in certain holy tomes to have eaten fish and have been recorded as saying things like, " It is not what goes in the mouth that defiles a man but what comes out of it". Not my deity but I thought I would note that anyway.

I object to killing people but I haven't got to a place where I can allow myself the luxery of objecting to killing other "higher" animals. Its the WAY they are killed and the terrible way they are treated that makes my blood boil.

I view the shooting of this gigantic feral hog as an acceptable, perhaps even a heroic act, and am in no way saddened at its passing. I do not require that you agree with me and am happy to allow you your difference of opinion. We may have more common ground to focus on that would be productive rather than dwelling on our differences.

I am in the 5th year of the certification process that I hope will eventually allow me to put a certified organic label on my corn, grapes or anything else I grow that is not bio engineered. So you see we may have more in common than not.

Are you a vegan? Do you were belts and shoes made of leather? Just asking.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Wasn`t it the Apostle Peter who said that it is not what goes into the mouth that defiles a man but what goes in through the eyes and ears, meaning that diet is secondary as concerns the soul, whereas it is thoughts and feelings that really matter? Maybe this was after someone mentioned an argument between a man that ate flesh and one that ate only vegetables.

For some time I was concerned about the fact that I still went around using leather shoes and belts, because this was inconsistent with my beliefs, but I said to myself that it was inevitable. Then I saw in a shop window some black canvas shoes (with rubber soles), and eventually some black canvas belts, something like the security belts on airplanes, so now I’m blissfully leather-free.

Finally, please let me put in a word in favor of the bird tribe. I used to believe that birds were lesser beings, and maybe “fair game”, because they seemed to be as inexpressive, rigid and insensitive as reptiles, the kind of animals that are described as “non-responsive” since they react with indifference to human kindness.

Then I found myself living on a 5th-floor penthouse with a balcony for a few years. There I could feed the turtledoves that came in large flocks. They are quite wild and would not approach if anybody was on the balcony. Little by little I managed to develop in them a feeling of trust. Nearly two years went by before they became friends, to the point of scrambling all over the place as soon as they saw me pouring the rice, like pigeons in a park. Some of them even walked into the apartment to investigate.

Something similar happened with a blackbird. The final outcome was that it walked up to the plate like a kitten as I placed raisins, fresh grapes and pieces of cheese on it. I could even whistle at it to make it swoop down when I saw it far away perched on the TV antennas of nearby buildings. It was like I had trained it, so that it was awful when a buyer was finally found for the apartment and I had to go.

It turned out that birds were NOT fair game. They appreciate human kindness. They’re not like insects or worms, who are incapable of this.

I apologize for trying to turn this thread into a campaign. It simply turned out that way. Sorry….

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Please don't apologise I am interested in your opinion. You may want to U2U me as we are a bit far afield of the subject.

I don’t know what that particular wise man said but I’m pretty sure that anything going into my eyes except light would be detrimental regardless. I have heard a bunch of bad music in my time I certainly hope that doesn’t count against my soul. But seriously I think you are on track about the meaning of the lesson.

He was trying to dump a bunch of laws that had to do with what you could and could not eat while teaching that your words shape your soul. In any case it was Jesus talking to the people after the Pharisees had made him testy by accusing him of not adhering to some food laws.

Mathew 15:11 “That which enters into the mouth doesn't defile the man; but that which proceeds out of the mouth, this defiles the man."

Animal products are so prevalent in society it would be next to impossible to eliminate them from your life and continue to exist in society. I applaud you on your idealism and ability to remain practical.

I do not eat fresh water fish because I just assume they are contaminated. I do enjoy mid sized blue water marine varieties, but rarely nowadays, as I have moved away from the ocean. I do think that many birds are highly intelligent like parrots and myna birds, crows, and ravens. I often listen to what the birds tell me. I also eat wild turkeys from time to time.

I have very few options when it comes to securing meat that is safe to eat. I provide the habitat so I know where these birds have been and I know how many I have and how many I can take without detriment to the population. If it is any consolation to you, turkeys, even wild ones, are not that bright. I do not dress up in a turkey hunting camo suit or call them because I don’t have to.

I really don’t understand a standard that establishes what is fair game by whether or not the animal responds to human kindness. A fish could be said to be “responsive” by the same standard as they can readily identify a human food source as well as any bird. Yes you can train birds and a bird can be your friend but should that fact take every species of bird off my dinner plate? Is this a moral or ethical standard?

I believe that everything in the universe has a divine nature right down to the atom. Of all the life forms that we know about: if we start with bacteria then go through the lichens and fungus, worms, insects, jelly fish at last we come to things with backbones until finally arriving at what many perceive as the crown of creation, mankind. However arrogant this perception may be it is merely a statement of fact until a more evolved creature is discovered. If mankind is the crown of creation then all other life forms are subordinated to humans by dint of nature’s grand design. As the crown of creation it is incumbent upon each of us to protect, nurture, and guard all the creatures of the earth. But I believe they are here for our fair use and in return we must be responsible care takers (or perish).

This does not mean we are free to enslave and be cruel to other creatures and decimate the environment with wild abandon likewise it does not prohibit me from eating a turkey sandwich or using natural resources such as cutting down a tree. Sustainable is the operative word.

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 12:39 AM
link   
As a final comment here, I thank you for that link to the description of the walking catfish, which was wonderful. What a story! Those lucky things didn't even have to beg for a Green Card in order to immigrate, and now they're all over the place. I wonder why nobody has taken advantage of the opportunity to turn all those fish into fish flour or whatever, rather than see them being squashed by the cars. What a waste of protein.

I'm a newcomer, have never used the U2U system, and have yet to figure it out, but as soon as I do that I won't want to start raiding anybody's inbox. You probably have more than enough trying to cope with all those organic crops. May I suggest you start a thread on "bioengineered" species and/or organic farming in the "Science & Technology" section?

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 01:56 AM
link   
I want to eat some of it

my older friend 50-something when he was a prison guard and he was supervising inmates doing work he killed a wild boar that charged him with a chainsaw....bloody

[edit on 19-2-2005 by Lamagraa]

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join