It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Get Ready! The Brightest Meteor Shower In The Recorded Human History Is Happening

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 12:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
Even if it were going to be as active & bright as claimed, the peak is during the afternoon, and at night, the waning moon is going to drown it out, so probably about half the visibility as opposed to if it were moonless.

With my luck, it'll probably be raining anyway. Lol, that's always my damn luck with meteor showers the past few years.

Or the skies full of smoke from the fires of hell.

Anything to blind the humans.

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 12:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
This isn't happening.

Actually, there may be some truth to it. Not the brightest in human history, but according to NASA:

This year, Earth may be in for a closer encounter than usual with the comet trails that result in meteor shower, setting the stage for a spectacular display.

“Forecasters are predicting a Perseid outburst this year with double normal rates on the night of Aug. 11-12,” said Bill Cooke with NASA’s Meteoroid Environments Office in Huntsville, Alabama. “Under perfect conditions, rates could soar to 200 meteors per hour.”

An outburst is a meteor shower with more meteors than usual.

www.nasa.gov...

So, a bit more "spectacular"/noteworthy this year than others.

edit on 4-8-2017 by Kromlech because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 04:20 AM
link   
OK, while the attention is on the sky, I have a question.
Last Friday at around 11:00 am while driving towards the west, I saw a flash in the sky.
I would describe it as a needle held at arms length.
Only there for a fraction of a second, but like polished chrome.
The workmate in the vehicle 20 meters behind didn't see anything.

Possible meteor?

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 06:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: collietta
a reply to: intergalactic fire

I think it'll make people less interested in the skies, because it will be a let down.

Does there have to be a meteor shower to behold the beauty that is above our heads?
I go out a lot during the night and watch for hours at the stars.
A night without a 'falling star' is very rare.
There is so much more to look at than waiting for a pebble to enter earth's atmosphere

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 06:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Kromlech

I say, they have got to be bright if we can still see them in 2017. Maybe some of them got stuck.

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Kromlech

Obviously, my issue isn't with a recurring meteor shower and its varying degrees of brightness. My issue is with the characterization of the shower and the added "details" in the story.

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 01:05 PM
link   
too bad it's going to be waning gibbous....Would be cooler on darker skies.
edit on 4-8-2017 by GuidedKill because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 01:49 PM
link   
The best meteor I ever saw was in during the Persaids in the Florida Keys, far enough away from light pollution.

My understanding is the intensity is difficult to predict. Regardless I will try to find a dark spot to see what this year's Persaid shower brings.
edit on 4-8-2017 by jrod because: ,

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 05:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skywatcher2011

originally posted by: charlyv
Why is this not in the hoax bin?
It is totally predicated on false news.
Real science will tell you that it will probably be weaker than what would be considered average.

The shower is real...the bright part in human history is false.

So there is HALF TRUTH to this.

Maybe it is the brightest repeat meteor shower compared to the other known historically repeated displays of say the Geminids and they are 'spinning' it like MSM loves to do with scientific facts to be the brightest this time than ever. They have twisted logic that should cause their own brains to hurt.

edit on 4-8-2017 by Justoneman because: ETA

posted on Aug, 5 2017 @ 10:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Justoneman

Maybe it is the brightest repeat meteor shower compared to the other known historically repeated displays of say the Geminids and they are 'spinning' it like MSM loves to do with scientific facts to be the brightest this time than ever. They have twisted logic that should cause their own brains to hurt.

I really get a kick out of the MSM "experts" that depict the tails of comets always heading away from (behind) the direction of motion the comet body, irregardless of them going toward or away from the Sun. It shows that many do not understand the basic fundamentals of what they are reporting on.
edit on 5-8-2017 by charlyv because: s

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Only Aug 10 and thing are heating up already
From my Sky Camera

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Every time I know a meteor shower is due I dust of my Canon EOS 550D SLR, check the batteries are all charged, rummage through the cupboard to find the tripod, make sure I've dusted the glass on my 500mm reflector lens and made sure to pack a wide angle lens to get better full sky coverage too.

Then I stand at my door on the night of peak intensity and think "I'm going to get mugged before I make it to the end of the garden!", turn round and reach for the beers. It will be the same sad tale on Saturday night, I'm sure.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge
This year's Perseid shower is expected to be the brightest in recorded human history ?

Then I expect to see fully overcast skies on that night.

Such is the story of my life...

You must live in Ohio.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: GuidedKill

I actually read that as wailing gibbons. I thought "Bloody Hell!"

edit on -05:0010America/Chicago2017851xRAmerica/Chicagob by PheonixReborn because: add vid

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 09:09 PM
link   
wrong reply
edit on 10-8-2017 by Trillium because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 09:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Trillium
From my Sky Camera

Here second night out and thing are heating up already
From my Sky Camera

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 09:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: yeh64y
OK, while the attention is on the sky, I have a question.
Last Friday at around 11:00 am while driving towards the west, I saw a flash in the sky.
I would describe it as a needle held at arms length.
Only there for a fraction of a second, but like polished chrome.
The workmate in the vehicle 20 meters behind didn't see anything.

Possible meteor?

Naw, you saw something real probably, you know huh?

I'm a pilot, and I say something's up.....especially lately, it's Biblical

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Did I just see a meteor? I say that because it is 10:15 PM here and I was able to actually see the entire tail and object light up flying right above me outside my house. Never seen one that close, it had to be in Earth's atmosphere. It was huge and it is a clear night here. Literally looked WAY closer than the altitude of planes and even helicopters even.

Was pretty cool, just wish I could see another
edit on 10-8-2017 by M4ngo because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-8-2017 by M4ngo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 07:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: M4ngo
Did I just see a meteor? I say that because it is 10:15 PM here and I was able to actually see the entire tail and object light up flying right above me outside my house. Never seen one that close, it had to be in Earth's atmosphere. It was huge and it is a clear night here. Literally looked WAY closer than the altitude of planes and even helicopters even.

Was pretty cool, just wish I could see another

The altitude could be deceiving. There is really not a good way to determine the altitude of a bright streak; your brain might think it is close simply because it was bright, but it still may be at an altitude of 100 km (60 miles).

For example, many people viewing passes of the International Space Station (ISS) think it looks to be really low (at or below the altitude of a passenger plane) because the ISS is so bright -- often the brightest object in the night sky other than the Moon. But in reality that very bright ISS is about 200 miles up. Our brains perceive it as low because the brightness is unexpected.

An interesting fact about meteorites (meteorites are meteors that survive their initial contact with the upper atmosphere to make it all the way to the ground) is that after that initial contact where the meteor creates a bright visible glowing streak, they then slow down enough that they are no longer creating that visible streak. That is to say, a meteor that is -- for example -- lower that the altitude of planes, that meteor would NOT be producing the a glowing streak that we associate with meteors.

So as most meteorites are falling to Earth, they initially produce visible glow about 60 miles up, but are then just dark (no glow) rocks the rest of the way down as they fall the rest of the 60-ish miles to the ground.

edit on 11/8/2017 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 10:25 PM
link   

From my Sky Camera

Here second night out and thing are heating up already
From my Sky Camera

Ok here last night catch from my Sky Camera

Here a ground map overlay of meteor location

files.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 11-8-2017 by Trillium because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join