It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Get Ready! The Brightest Meteor Shower In The Recorded Human History Is Happening

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Yeah, man how would they know ahead of time......dang, huh.?!!

Looks normal or less right now....

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 12:57 AM
link   
a reply to: ElectricUniverse

Awesome - I'd forgotten that was upcoming, and had no idea it wa predicted to be very bright! Last meteor shower, I don't think we saw ANY. So, maybe this one will be better. Great weather for it this month; unseasonably cooler!!

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Try to go to a Dark sky preserve near you. Will be worth it.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 03:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: charlyv
Why is this not in the hoax bin?
It is totally predicated on false news.
Real science will tell you that it will probably be weaker than what would be considered average.

The shower is real...the bright part in human history is false.

So there is HALF TRUTH to this.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 03:50 AM
link   

The Perseid meteor shower is something some believe was responsible for the Tunguska impact

Actually, the Tunguska object is suspected as being a member of the Taurid Complex, which is a trail of cometary debris that includes Comet 2P/Encke. The orbit of Earth intersects this trail of debris around the end of June each year, and the Tunguska event occurred on 1908 June 30. The Perseid meteor shower is associated with Comet 109P/Swift-Tuttle, which has a totally different orbit to that of the Taurid Complex.
edit on 3-8-2017 by Mogget because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Don't get me wrong--I'll be driving out to the middle of nowhere and checking it out again, like I do every couple years--but doesn't it seem like the hype and drama surrounding every meteor shower that occurs every year is getting more and more extreme?

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 07:51 AM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

This reminds me how pissed i'll be if it's grey skies for the eclipse.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 08:18 AM
link   

I second the request to move this to the hoax bin ASAP!

(and let's remember the name of the site that spreads this bs)

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 08:40 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Yeah could be, but apart from the hype and drama if it makes people more interested in what's above their heads I'm all for it.

Clear skies and good luck!

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bane5930

I'll be monitoring the VHF 2 Meter Band Hopefully their will be good DX / Propagation

What about 20, 40 and 80M?

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Why does it matter if its not going to be the "brightest in human history"? Its not a hoax, its slightly exaggerated. The rest of the information is true. The meteor shower is happening. Its the perseids, and it does peak between the 12th-17th of August. All of you calling for this to be sent to the hoax bin are just as bad as the article. Lighten up and stare at the night skies.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: charlyv
Why is this not in the hoax bin?
It is totally predicated on false news.
Real science will tell you that it will probably be weaker than what would be considered average.

I think that damn Nelson Mandela and that Effect of his has something to do with this!

In my timeline, this years' Perseids were going to be friggin awesommes!

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: imthegoat
Why does it matter if its not going to be the "brightest in human history"? Its not a hoax, its slightly exaggerated. The rest of the information is true. The meteor shower is happening. Its the perseids, and it does peak between the 12th-17th of August. All of you calling for this to be sent to the hoax bin are just as bad as the article. Lighten up and stare at the night skies.

Well, the Persieds happen every year, so the mere fact that it is happening is not exactly a big deal (although as a skywatcher, I usually try to make a point to watch).

However, the entire point of this tread is about this year's being "The Brightest in Human History" (which is more than just a slight exaggeration), and that is patently false.

That would be like a thread about the upcoming eclipse stating that it would last for an hour in each location and will feature sparkles. The "eclipse" part of the thread would be right, but the rest of the thread would be false information.

The Leonids of 2001 will probably be the best many of us will see for a few decades, or even in a lifetime -- if anyone was lucky enough to see that one. I did, and it was unforgettable. At the peak, I could see a meteor every 5 seconds or so, and each one was relatively brighter than average.

edit on 3/8/2017 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

nope im lead to believe it is actually the taurid stream responsible for Tunguska.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: intergalactic fire

I think it'll make people less interested in the skies, because it will be a let down.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 07:01 PM
link   
a reply to: ShayneJUK

Correct. The Taurids are linked to comet Enke.
The Perseids have comet Swift-Tuttle as a parent comet.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 10:22 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Pretty sure it is the taurid meteor showers that hatched the meteor causing the Tunguska event. That's what I recall anyways. Agree to disagree.

Lightmeup04

Sorry, didn't see this mentioned before I wrote.

Lightmeup04
edit on 8/3/17 by lightmeup04 because: Someone brought this to light already

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 11:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Soylent Green Is People

originally posted by: imthegoat

Well, the Persieds happen every year, so the mere fact that it is happening is not exactly a big deal (although as a skywatcher, I usually try to make a point to watch).

However, the entire point of this tread is about this year's being "The Brightest in Human History" (which is more than just a slight exaggeration), and that is patently false.

That would be like a thread about the upcoming eclipse stating that it would last for an hour in each location and will feature sparkles. The "eclipse" part of the thread would be right, but the rest of the thread would be false information.

The Leonids of 2001 will probably be the best many of us will see for a few decades, or even in a lifetime -- if anyone was lucky enough to see that one. I did, and it was unforgettable. At the peak, I could see a meteor every 5 seconds or so, and each one was relatively brighter than average.

Its still happening, and I'm sure there is potential for some bright ones, right?
. My point is that everyone seems to be offended by the title lf the thread. Inaccurate titling of the article, I concur, but to throw a fit over it is a bit dramatic.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Unfortunately. This is fake news.

The Greatest Meteor Show of All Time

At NASA, we get very excited about many astronomical events — to name just a few, the return of Halley’s Comet back in 1985/86; the impact of the fragments of Comet Shoemaker-Levy 9 with Jupiter in 1992; the Leonid meteor storms of 1998, 1999, 2001 and 2002; and, of course, the upcoming total solar eclipse on Aug. 21 of this year.

Some of these events get blown a bit out of proportion. A classic example is that every time Mars comes to opposition (closest approach to Earth), the internet reverberates with the very false statement that Mars will appear as large as the Moon at that time. Nothing could be farther from the truth, as Mars, at its very closest to Earth, appears only 1/70th the apparent diameter of the Moon.

This year we have a new one — reports are circulating that this year’s Perseids will be the “brightest shower in recorded human history,” lighting up the night sky and even having some meteors visible during the day. We wish this were true… but no such thing is going to happen.

Your source appears to be the origins of this viral fake news from what I can tell.

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 12:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
This isn't happening.

Snopes is a known site full of liars like everyone else.

Why look to them for guidance?

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join