It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NAACP issues first-ever travel advisory for a state: Missouri

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 01:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: magnetik

Do you want me to get into all the things the black kids did to me and my white colleagues when we presumed to think we could teach them in an inner city school?

One of my colleagues was physically assaulted and got a concussion because the kid threw a trashcan at her from behind. It hit her in the head and knocked her out temporarily.

I had smoke bombs thrown in my room. My room was trashed. I was shoved down and pushed against the wall. That's only the start.

These were kids.

And you, as an educator, believe that has something to do with the color of their skin?

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 01:58 AM
link   
And... what are their thoughts on traveling to crime-ridden ghettos?

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 04:52 AM
link   
a reply to: riiver

Look here. This issue boils down to some pretty basic facets, which ought to inform an observer of their legitimacy.

First, we must ask questions.

1) Is the situation in Missouri, as the NAACP states? Are persons of colour more likely to have their rights infringed based on the colour of their skin, in that location, than in other locations, to the point where even someone passing through the area, has a decent chance of being caught up in something unpleasant?

2) If it is, why the outrage against the decision to issue such an advisory?

3) If it is not, why was the advisory issued?

Now, the first question will have an incontrovertible answer, one way or another. Either people of colour are, or are not under a greater threat of harm, mistreatment, racially motivated harassment and abuse, from both local citizens and police departments, than they would be in most other places, without access to redress of any grievances caused by the same, or they are not. Answering this question ought to be relatively simple, and I use the word relatively in a very specific and deliberate sense, because there is rarely too much that is simple in these matters.

The second and third questions also, will have answers which readily spring to mind. The problem is that with ALL of these answers, even the most incontrovertible of the three, there will be those who allow their opinion to override the facts. For example, if it is a FACT that in Missouri at present, persons of colour are not equally protected under the law, and are frequently denied the rights given to others on the basis of their skin colour and prejudice they face as a result of it, there are bound to be those who will deny the fact, even in the face of overwhelming evidence, who will wish to explain away the statistics, the number of bodies in the mortuary, the number of blatant violations of procedure and the constitutional protections which are supposed to be offered to all citizens, as either lies, inventions, or some other thing, despite the fact that you cannot argue with a heap of bodies, numbers... they tell a tale of their own.

But if it is NOT a fact that there is a disparity in Missouri in particular, you will also find that some of the faux left will rally behind the non-issue regardless, despite being proven wrong.

For this reason, the answers to these questions will, while vitally important in FACT, mean nothing in the long run, because we do not live in an age where the truth has any meaning, where it matters to anyone. The truth has been abandoned by all but a small few, the majority preferring whatever lie is most comfortable to them, allows them the most ease, as their appeasement of injustices beyond counting, aids the slow, but hastening collapse of their societies and nations.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 08:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

originally posted by: ketsuko

Do you want me to get into all the things the black kids did to me and my white colleagues when we presumed to think we could teach them in an inner city school?

One of my colleagues was physically assaulted and got a concussion because the kid threw a trashcan at her from behind. It hit her in the head and knocked her out temporarily.

I had smoke bombs thrown in my room. My room was trashed. I was shoved down and pushed against the wall. That's only the start.

These were kids.

And you, as an educator, believe that has something to do with the color of their skin?

Color?
No.
Culture?
Yes

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Boo-effin'-hoo.

Can I join the pitty party?

While I lived in California growing up as a middle-class white kid, here are some things that happened to me by other races:

- had a shotgun pulled on me and my friends while just chillin' at a park
- had myself and friends attempted to be assaulted while we were getting into my car--luckily, we were able to get inside the vehicle, but the boot prints on my windows, the dents from the chain one was wielding that hit my car multiple times, and dented quarter panel all speak to what they would have done to use (both this and the previous incident were from a Korean gang...we still have no idea why they targeted us on two separate occasions)
- my family friends (black) who I considered uncle/aunt and cousins had family members who always said racial comments to me and my sister when we were over playing, refusing to play with us because we were white
- I have been stared down and actually asked to leave from "black" establishments simple because I was white (apparently)
- been harassed more than once by groups of black and Hispanic people multiple times growing up, being called "cracker" and "gringo" on multiple occasions
- been pulled over once in a "black neighborhood" simply because I wasn't black and they thought that I was there to buy drugs...luckily I only had three dollars in my wallet at the time to show that I was just on my way home from work at 1am (which was also past curfew)

No offense, man, but I could also go on and on--and that doesn't even mention the things that some overtly racist black people said to me and accused me of while I was in the military.

You're not unique in your experiences simply because of your race, and while this may have happened more often or more severely to you (I'm not sure, and you can't prove it either way), but in the same breath, it's so very easy to also find minorities who will argue that there's no such thing as "reverse racism," or racism against white people.

So, you can have your pity party if you want to, but just remember that you're not special--many of us, from many different skin tones, experience the equivalent to what you do/have as well. But just because I'm saying that your claims don't make you special, that doesn't mean that I'm trivializing "black people's concerns," nor does it necessarily mean that the OP's comments are doing that, either.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kromlech
And... what are their thoughts on traveling to crime-ridden ghettos?

well, what do you think??...that they are happy about it??....or they haven't tried to do anything?.....jesus, ignorance is rampant in this thread.....I'm glad all the white people in this thread have it figured out....

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 10:36 AM
link   
edit: no need to be in this debate
edit on 8/3/17 by RedDragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Pretty sad it becomes a pissing contest on which race is treated worse. Anyone of any color can be in the wrong place at the wrong time. This is life.

My best friend in elementary school was black. One of 2 black children in the whole school. the other was his sister. I got picked on constantly by the other kids in school, and in actuality, more than Lanier did. The names I heard at 9 were horrible. However, I was born and my family is from NYC where culture and color are more prevalent than in the South so it confused me. My parents told me that the kids who picked on me were ignorant. THAT is the difference that does not occur today. Movies, Media, TV, News and Entertainers push the hate also. It is ignorant.

It starts at home. Hate is not genetic. It is taught. On all sides from all races. I am now raising my kids to be color blind but in a society where everything is deemed 'racist' it is tough and that is what the NAACP is doing. Making it harder for people to get along not easier. Because those in the middle will have conversations like we are but nothing changes. The hardcore non-black racists will become angrier over this and will CAUSE more incidents. Then, it is easier to teach the hate of the 'white devils'. The last 10 years our country moved backward in race relations and it is groups like the NAACP that do not want racism to go away because then they will feel irrelevant even when there are other things they should do to help advancement of ALL races.

Now, as far as how out of control, do this...look up youth black mob violence vs white mob violence. Google it. When you find a link that shows a group of 50 'white kids' entering a predominantly black establishment destroying things, punching people and causing chaos please do. The kids that commit these crimes are being taught this and they learn it from friends if not family. Hate.

A travel advisory? The NAACP is stirring the pot as always.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

We need a travel advisory for the south due to the brutal heat from that sun, and mosquitos terrorizing people. We are even required to buy protection in spray cans and bottles just to survive!

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Does the NAACP think any of us in Missouri care what they think? I'm ST. Louis born an raised. Lived there 28 years before I had enough and moved. There are areas of the city that if you're white, you don't stop at stop signs or red lights. When the NAACP cares about safe travels for every one then they might be taken seriously.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 12:42 PM
link   
The NAACP lied! They had a 15 year travel ban and boycott to and of South Carolina due to the Confederate Flag flying on the capitol grounds.
NAACP Lifts SC Travel Ban

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: StoutBroux
Why haven't they given travel advisories for Chicago?

I don't think you need one. If you have been to Chicago, you know where the places are that you do not want to be,and the places that are fantastic.

If you are a low-information type person who believes the propaganda, then you will not go at all, fearing that the moment you get off the plane, you will be attacked and killed.

BTW Chicago has some of the best food in the world. Just don't hope to keep slim...

edit on 3-8-2017 by TacSite18 because: sp

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I went to visit a friend in St. Louis about 5 years ago. As I left the airport in my rental car and was driving on some 4 lane highway, trying to figure out where to go. I was going slow, maybe 50 in a 55 where everyone was going 70+. A guy got behind me and started tailgating and flashing his lights. I motioned for him to go around. He pulled up even with me and pointed a handgun at my head, then sped off.

I am the same race as this guy, so it was not an ethnic thing.

Nice town you folks have there.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 04:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: riiver
I may not have phrased that as well as I ought to have. I was referring to the looting and burning itself as a response, not to the legitimacy of their grievance.

i followed that story very closely from the jump, and i can tell you with certainty that the vast majority of protesting was extremely peaceful. additionally, the police presence was amped up and militarized in advance of any kind of trouble, which escalates this kind of situation.

a few bad actors late at night start some bad behavior, and for people like you the whole thing is delegitimized and you're happy to just write off another poor black community instead of looking at any entirely warranted sense of grievance they might have the way things are wrong. it becomes a big joke for you. and that's incredibly sad.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 06:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: magnetik
LOL, I knew I would find someone to act as if black peoples concerns were some sort of fairyland tale. what do you know, it was the original post. Let me list a few things white people have done to me over the years:

pissed on me
jumped me
accuse me of theft
follow me around stores
ask what im doing here
ask white people why their with me
call the police on me for breaking into my own car
call me 'n-word'
threaten me

could go on. BTW. F the naacp and blm. They do not represent 99.9 percent of black people.

Your speechless but most likely dont do anything to make america great again for all of us

SO all thats been done to you was done by arseholes. dont mean everyone is a arsehole. Ive seen asians and all other ethnicities do the same things you mention. Except the racial epitaph changes from ethnicity to ethnicity.

Do you like Tommy sootomayor? He is a guy you should look up on youtube.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Which is more likely to be detrimental to your health? African Americans traveling in Missouri or myself taking a walk down streets named after Dr. Martin Luther King as a white man after dark?

I'm sick of race card being played and I'm sick of the white privilege crap. Life isn't fair and no matter how to tilt the table for minorities, they're always asking for more. Some people just can't accept that they have the same opportunities, it's the choices they make and the work they put in that make up the differences.

edit on 3-8-2017 by Anathros because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 07:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: fiverx313

originally posted by: riiver
I may not have phrased that as well as I ought to have. I was referring to the looting and burning itself as a response, not to the legitimacy of their grievance.

i followed that story very closely from the jump, and i can tell you with certainty that the vast majority of protesting was extremely peaceful. additionally, the police presence was amped up and militarized in advance of any kind of trouble, which escalates this kind of situation.

a few bad actors late at night start some bad behavior, and for people like you the whole thing is delegitimized and you're happy to just write off another poor black community instead of looking at any entirely warranted sense of grievance they might have the way things are wrong. it becomes a big joke for you. and that's incredibly sad.

Not a joke, big or small. It was more than a bit frightening, actually, as I wondered if the whole thing was going to spread and all 3 cities here were going to catch fire. My younger son is National Guard, too, and though he wasn't deployed there he did hear plenty about it from others who were. Anyhow, no I never saw it as a joke.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 08:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: TacSite18
I went to visit a friend in St. Louis about 5 years ago. As I left the airport in my rental car and was driving on some 4 lane highway, trying to figure out where to go. I was going slow, maybe 50 in a 55 where everyone was going 70+. A guy got behind me and started tailgating and flashing his lights. I motioned for him to go around. He pulled up even with me and pointed a handgun at my head, then sped off.

I am the same race as this guy, so it was not an ethnic thing.

Nice town you folks have there.

I'm an STL native. It's a craphole. Anyone who can afford it has moved into the Western suburbs.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 10:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dudemo5
I'm an STL native. It's a craphole. Anyone who can afford it has moved into the Western suburbs.

i lived in south county and worked in west county, and then i lived in soulard and worked in north county. i did not feel unsafe in any of those locations. i would definitely live in soulard again, even with the midnight drunks.

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 02:41 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join