It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flat Earth is a Front for Intelligent Design

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 02:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: VegHead

originally posted by: Myollinir
... It is repeatedly attempted to circle logic back to the Christian Bible to show how it supports a flat earth and since we can observe experiments that would reflect a flat type earth then that would verify the biblical writings... And so here they are back and swinging with something new!

Thoughts?

What biblical writings claim a flat earth? What verses?

Job 38:14

The earth takes shape like clay under a seal; its features stand out like those of a garment.

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
I think it is a matter of you need to be a Christian to believe this idea, but that doesn't mean that all Christians believe it. In other words the OP is saying that believers of FET are a sub-set of Christians. Not all of them. That's how I see it at least.

What I'm saying is that I feel like the FE theory is being used as a phalanx for the Intelligent Designers to gain ground in the debate about where we are and where we come from.

I'm a non believer who agrees with parts of the Christian philosophy (and other ideologies), and I also see that the FE'ers raise really good questions as well.

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Myollinir

I'm not sure what is more annoying the theory or its proponents. I think the same argument could be said for a lot of the topics for discussion on this website. Anything to do with the Anunaki, ET's as demons, end times, etc.. You always have to check your source.

I bone I do pick with your post however is, relative to the Intelligent Design argument you state:

It had no experiments to confirm

I would just add that general evolution has never been replicated in a lab either.

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 02:58 PM
link   

and I also see that the FE'ers raise really good questions as well.

Can you name one?

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 03:01 PM
link   

I see no reason to believe in either the Christian religion or Flat Earth theory. Both are easily disproven by not even modern science but science dating back centuries.
edit on 2-8-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Krahzeef_Ukhar

One Ive had trouble negating in a debate are flight routes. Theres some math thrown out lately that "calculates" flight times are way off if the earth is really moving at 60,000 mph. Its more I dont have the time to take to check the math.

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: bknapple32

The speed of the earth is only relevant if your starting point isn't earth.

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: pointessa

The flat earth movement does not need to rely on Christian teachings or biblical scriptures in the least to make their arguments. I am not taking a position on either way, but what you are saying is not accurate and I think a lot of Christians would be very offended to be affiliated with flat earthers.

I think it is a matter of you need to be a Christian to believe this idea, but that doesn't mean that all Christians believe it. In other words the OP is saying that believers of FET are a sub-set of Christians. Not all of them. That's how I see it at least.

"I drive from Florida to California all the time, and it’s flat to me. I do not go up and down at a 360-degree angle, and all that stuff about gravity." - Shaquille O'Neill on flat earth theory

Shaq claims he's Muslim. Plus he's a well known free mason. Make of it what you will.

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: AgarthaSeed

Yeah. I'd be willing to expand the OP's analysis to just being religious in general and you don't necessarily HAVE to be a Christian to believe it. Just non-scientific religious minded, and there are plenty of those types in all major religions.

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 03:19 PM
link   

If the flat earth mob crowd sourced a flat earth pilot to fly a couple of flat earthers to fly to the so called other side of their flat earth and take a couple of hours of footage would be great, That way the flat earthers could put up or shut up. I think the results should be in before let's say Christmas. Should only be a few hours flight taking off from a country closest point airport. It wouldn't be so hard would it.

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: AgarthaSeed

Don't bring Shaq into this.

He's not a flat earther.

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 03:34 PM
link   

I started a thread a while back pointing out that 90% (my bs number) of conspiracies seem to trace back to Christianity in some way or the other..

The illuminati, satanic cults , elite pedo rings everywhere, flat earth, young earth..

All secretly trace back to some satanic conspiracy in a lot of cases..

That said I'm not sure it is causation or a symptom..

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: pointessa

True but if you watch most of the videos on such things they almost always conclude the cover up is all part of some satanic conspiracy..

I'm not saying that all Christians are flat earthers nor that every flat earther is a Christian..

But ALOT of conspiracy big wigs are Christians and tie that in, which spreads.

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krahzeef_Ukhar

They are as stupid as those who imagine virtual particles to justify their theories.

This needs to be its own thread entirely. Seriously...will you start one and I will jump in on it. I was just debating this very topic with a friend the other day who is a scientist. It absolutely drives him mad when we discuss the topic I refer to as his imaginary world.

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krahzeef_Ukhar

and I also see that the FE'ers raise really good questions as well.

Can you name one?

Why does horizon raise to eye level no matter how high you go. Why can you see things like skylines or watertowers 40 miles away when the curvature should subtract ~ 1000 feet from view? If the moon only orbits the earth once every 27 days, and the earth spins at 1000 mph, how do we observe the upcoming moon's eclipse going from west to east? Why do we never have any full pictures of earth from outer space - as they are all composites and photoshopped?

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

I started a thread a while back pointing out that 90% (my bs number) of conspiracies seem to trace back to Christianity in some way or the other..

The illuminati, satanic cults , elite pedo rings everywhere, flat earth, young earth..

All secretly trace back to some satanic conspiracy in a lot of cases..

That said I'm not sure it is causation or a symptom..

GREAT point! It sure does!! I guess we can take of that what we will... either there could be some shred of truth to Christianity or they are trying to cover for everything by trying to be right through "theories".. NWO is originally a Christian warning.. Very very interesting indeed.

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Personally I find the whole flat earth thing to be a fascinating subject. There does seem to be a growing resurgence in this previously held belief.

The majority of the discussion that I have listened to on YT appears to be done in earnest and with the best intentions. There is a constant appeal to the viewer to find out by doing the various experiments for themselves and not to just take their word for it. This in itself is quite refreshing after the usual barrage of people on YT "telling" people stuff.

Not everyone in the FE community seems to be religious and they draw from other eastern religions and not just Christianity to support this idea. Most express a great comfort from the world being "created" and there being some kind of "creator" where they held no such belief before. Doesn't mean that they have converted to Christianity, just that they now believe in a creator. With the flat earth being un-moving and the stars, moon and sun rotating around us, it makes us important rather than being an accident from primordial slime.

I do wonder how all this FE has come about. With all the chaos and disorder in the world, both real and perceived and now all this fake news too, maybe this is a reaction to it in order to take back some sort of control.

There is also a great distrust in governments and other "secretive" official bodies such as NASA. There are loads of YT videos on how fake the ISS appears and how the moon landings were faked too, so maybe FE is just another step on from this kind of thinking. The fact that none of us will ever set foot in space and "see it for ourselves" just adds more weight to their argument. That most astronauts or those who would be "in the know" are all masons (a secret society) creates a certain amount of distrust in them. With the huge amount of spending with money that NASA gets from taxpayers, you would expect more to show for it, yet we still keep seeing the same experiments and mucking about with blobs of water.

Maybe this FE movement has been set up to divide and identify certain types of people within the conspiracy world. Of late there have been growing meet ups and group hangouts. It wouldn't be difficult for someone wanting to do this to infiltrate these meets and identify/label people. Maybe this is the result of that "programming" some of us have been exposed to.

Whatever, I am curious about the whole thing (not saying the the earth is flat)

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Outlier13

I would but there is an easy answer.

Virtual particles are put forward only as a plausible possibility.
Any Intelligent Design theories claim actual knowledge.

Granted, that's a bit of a cop out but science has the cop out of "we just don't know", the religious have "you just don't understand".

Neither can be proven so both should be considered wrong as a default.

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 04:16 PM
link   

The last one is wrong, there's plenty of full earth pictures but they can't compete with composite images so we don't see them.

In regards to the other points one response would be that you can see the sun set twice with a tall enough building.

But even is we accept any possible "proofs" just think how much money American Airlines are spending to give the impression the earth is a different shape? How much are NASA spending? How much are Astologists spending? How much are sailors spending?

It's just not cost effective to lie about it.

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Krahzeef_Ukhar

But even is we accept any possible "proofs" just think how much money American Airlines are spending to give the impression the earth is a different shape? How much are NASA spending? How much are Astologists spending? How much are sailors spending?

It's almost like the people in power would lose all power IF the earth were not as they say...

Our monetary system is just another one of our beasts of our own creation - another power structure to be exploited.

Regardless, life is fun to contemplate especially in controversial areas. And if we've been lied to by officials already in areas before, what is stopping them from any of the areas in our present day???????? (For example: leaded fuels are fine for our health)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join