It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump Unveils Overhaul On 'Legal' Immigration... Bring Skills, Speak English...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: luthier
a reply to: seasonal

I don't need to watch that video doesn't have the solution. .

Complaining and using scapegoats does not equal a solution.

Good effort though.

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

It does not balance out because the wage difference is far greater for the employers. For instance illegals are getting 15 or more for carpentry now, but the workman's comp and taxes would double that.

The wages are not only increased but doubled for the market as taxes are not paid. Say roofing. The cost goes up for a guy not in building or a market with a wage increase.

It's complicated stuff. Gimmicks aren't going to solve it

Immigration should be for voids in the labor market not specific high paying jobs. That is backwards in my opinion.
edit on 2-8-2017 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 12:01 PM
link   

There has been no wage growth since the mid 1970's. This is why you can't afford a new car or medical or a house or college.

My wages have gone up.

link   
Bu but but that book !!! Bannon love and took inspiration from, The Camp Of The Saints???..would exclude tech savy Indians, and English speaking Highly educated Nigerians..Steve.. Seig heil Bannon, who basically run immigration policy would insist on Europeans in the biographical sense rather than the occidental sense...aka wyppl , I am equally sure Steve King the Congress man, wouldn't mind non English speaking Germans..although most Germans I hangout with are ridiculously libs who would even make yours truly look like a an uptight rightwing chicken wing..

link   

You have presented noNE of your own thoughts about a solution now I have to watch a video that talks about wage inequality?

Yeah no kidding now paraphrase the solution and prove me wrong.

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: TacSite18

Cost of living has not gone up, that is a more exact statement.

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: luthier

I think that when we look into the social costs (medical-school-law enforcement-social welfare) the truth is telling. Those costs are not included in a pro-illegal immigrant low wage policy. That is what I mean when I say the costs are hidden.

If wages go up, taxes (in theory) go down. Although I doubt politicians would not find a way to keep spending.

Wages go up spurs tech growth and innovation that spark a revolution in not only high paying jobs but also small businesses that are the #1 employer in the US.

Keeping wages artificially low (with illegal immigration) is a bad idea and Trumps new merit bases system is a good step.

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 12:14 PM
link   

No, I earn about twice what I did 10 years ago, and three times what I made in 2000. Opportunity has been, and is out there. Only catch is, you have to work for it. No one is going to hand it to you.

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: TacSite18

Your pay is relative to many different personal, local and regional pressures (micro vs macro).

We are talking average, please don't think because it is raining on your lawn that it is raining on mine too.
edit on 2-8-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 12:21 PM
link   

His system makes no sense.

Immigrants should only take high skilled jobs.....

Pretty dumb..

Immigration should reflect labor deficits. Or it is taking jobs. No way around that.

Magic econmic solutions based on hope if this happens this will are pipe dreams and scams.

Trump has no idea how to help the economy his ideas have been destroyed by economists. Conservative ones.

You don't seem to get when wages increase so does consumer cost.

Wishing for things to be fair and pointing out problems is not a solution.

I am.not advocating anything just telling you your idealism doesn't reflect reality.

The printing press has made this problem pretty bad.

www.bls.gov...

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Well then that might be a problem in how the government forces employers to pay off on simply hiring a person isn't it?

The answer isn't to let in a bunch of people who can be illegally paid so that employers don't have to pay those things, especially if that's the only way employers can stay in business.

You want to talk about us scapegoating, but you're equally guilty of it in your own way. Allowing in illegal labor to provide a simple fix to a real problem creates a host of other issues, not least of which is that we have a permanent underclass of illegals living in this country because as soon as you "fix" that problem with some kind of amnesty, they cease to be illegal and must be hired legally and then all your problem taxes and fees apply to them and they cannot be employed like they were before.

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Read what you are implying very, very carefully.

You are saying there is a labor deficit.

Why is there one according to you? Because it is too expensive to hire Americans to do those jobs, not because Americans won't do them. But because the employment taxes and fees make them too expensive for employers to realistically hire.

So your fix is to keep importing cheap, illegal labor to fill that gap. Meaning you favor a permanent illegal underclass because to import them legally is to make them employed under the same legal terms as those Americans who are too expensive to hire, not because Americans want high wages, but because of all the taxes and fees that legal employment forces employers to pay.

Do you even see what rabbit hole you chased yourself down?

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: luthier

originally posted by: AndyFromMichigan
Good idea! Farmers/others who claim they can't find enough workers are lying. If they were willing to pay a fair wage, they'd find workers. We should be incentivizing immigration by those who bring real skills to America, not those who can only do jobs that literally anyone could do.

You understand higher wages are higher costs correct?

I am not against solving this problem but it's not like turning a screw folks. It's pretty complicated and tied it the actual economy.

The illegals are largely present in necessity based commodity. Like food and housing. Increase in pay directly makes increase in cost for consumers.

I'm sure there must be a way of modelling this mathematically and finding an optimum solution for everyone. Every profession has entry-level and professional level salaries. They also depend spend a fraction of their salary on services from the other professions. Then it is a matter of putting all of these into a giant spreadsheet, and then working out where the money would flow and then adjusting wages accordingly.

If a company like Walmart can make billions on stock option dividends, yet their staff qualify for food-stamps and are subsidized by the government then something is wrong.

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Well then that might be a problem in how the government forces employers to pay off on simply hiring a person isn't it?

The answer isn't to let in a bunch of people who can be illegally paid so that employers don't have to pay those things, especially if that's the only way employers can stay in business.

You want to talk about us scapegoating, but you're equally guilty of it in your own way. Allowing in illegal labor to provide a simple fix to a real problem creates a host of other issues, not least of which is that we have a permanent underclass of illegals living in this country because as soon as you "fix" that problem with some kind of amnesty, they cease to be illegal and must be hired legally and then all your problem taxes and fees apply to them and they cannot be employed like they were before.

Honestly it seems you at least understand the situation.

By the way I am.not advocating anything. I busted my ass while my body was young aND im.in a great place. My wife is a research professor we will be fine with the increased cost. I just worry the advocates of these policies believe they will work.

You could stop it in two years by seizing employers assets and "amnesty" but my point is it is too good a political gimmick to fix...and trump is not smart or caring enough to consider the total problem.
edit on 2-8-2017 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Too my point, I can make it "rain" on my lawn.

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

Of coarse there is but it's a serious issue so it can only be solved by both sides or the next guy will just do the opposite.

The place to start is beyond the msm and current tswamps ideas and talk about the actual huge issue.

A lot of it is related to loans and debt for budgets we can't pay for and Co trolling inflation for consumers while staying competitive in a world market

That sounds more complicated than Mexicans are bad though.

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 12:31 PM
link   
So Trump would welcome guys from oh, say Saudi Arabia as long as they're English-speaking and skilled?

Hey, maybe some of them could train to fly planes or something...

... what could possibly go wrong.

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 12:34 PM
link   
This is how its been for Europeans emigrating for donkeys years.

I applied to Canada Alaska and Australia and despite being a solicitor at the time, I was told my skills were not needed but if I had savings of at least £500,000 I could enter Alaska

Australia and Canada particularly only (legally) let in those with skills to fill jobs they can't fill in their respective countries. When I retrained in psychology I was told Oz had far too many psychologists already!

Leave the unskilled labour jobs for the population already living there that can't get the skills for higher jobs so they can at least work for a living and not rely on benefits. Letting in thousands and thousands of unskilled "workers" does take away jobs from the indiginous population. Its a bit like Rome when they brought in all the slaves, the peons had no work so the Romans had to keep them happy with bread & circuses.

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

There is a problem with cost for consumers in a kenysian market. One way to avoid inflation crushing consumers is to lower cost of goods, particularly food and housing...

Not advocating again. Read closely. I am.giving you my opinion based on economic reality not just political rhetoric like the demo and Republicans.

The labor shortage came from people not willing to work for low wages, low wages come from consumers.

Are you willing to pay more for groceries?

I am, I am just saying for instance rounding up illegals sounds great and looks tough, but if it backs up the courts and lowers deportations does it make sense?

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

I think the low skilled jobs are being saved for Americans.

new topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join