It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1 person 1 vote is stupid. Democracy was never supposed to be this way.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: allsee4eye
a reply to: AngryCymraeg

Putin does what is within bounds of the Russian constitution. I don't judge a man I do not know. He is very popular in Russia. No man who is not popular can stay in power.

Sure they can.

They just need to kill off any that oppose them, or make those who might oppose them think that they will be killed off.

Simple.
edit on 8/2/2017 by eriktheawful because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: allsee4eye

Then you've not been paying attention. As has been pointed out, your wonderful Putin has surrounded himself with a kleptocracy, or a rule of thieves, which is totally understandable, since he's one himself.

Take off your Russia is Great glasses, and take a look at what really is, rather than what you're being told is the case.

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

Very simple, and darned effective, too... Then surround oneself with fellow thieves and viola, The Grand Russian Kleptocracy/Oligarchy.

Reminds me very much of the old Imperial Russia...complete with a Tsar, and a group of wanna-be noblemen.
edit on 8/2/2017 by seagull because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Russia is stabilizing the situation in Syria. What is America doing in Syria? Who is corrupt? Who is not corrupt? I think the answer is pretty obvious.

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Russia is far less corrupt than America. Russia has single payer. Russia has flat tax. Both are good ideas that are politically impossible in America.

Why do you care so much? You're in Canada, right, and you see to really admire Russia (from what I've seen on here).

That said, while we do have one person one vote (thankfully, and for reasons given by others), we already have a system in which money directly influences campaigns and therefore, by default, elections. When the buying power for political advertising is wide open, those "hard working billionaires" don't need multiple votes, they vote with their money, especially since Citizen's United, and what with the infestation of the corporate lobby in government money drives advertising, which reaches the most people.

That those with more money or "contributions to society" should be able to directly affect an election through the power of the ballot is a troubling concept.

Do you actually believe what you wrote/proposed in the OP?
edit on 2-8-2017 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Where have I said America doesn't have a corruption issue? Good luck finding it.

This isn't about Syria. This is about one person being worth more than another. This is about one getting to vote, the other not through some odd value system that only you seem to think worthwhile.

Now then, do please attempt to defend the indefensible notion that one man is worth more than another through the sheer amount of stolen loot in their bank account in Switzerland.

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 05:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
a reply to: DBCowboy

Picking controversial topics and discussing them intelligently with ideas and examples to paint a picture is different than trolling.

Don't get me wrong, I love seeing someone get hot and bothered when you have a solid point supported by facts.

But this isn't that, and you know it.

Or maybe you know who is behind this possible second account so you're in on the joke

Nah. I'm not that savvy.

I just don't take too much seriously.

I see ATS as a bunch of people sitting at a bar drinking and arguing.

Haha, that's the most profound thing I've read on here all week.

That being said, people at the bar usually try to make good (slurred) points. Seeing as they aren't hiding behind a screen of anonymity they don't say trolly chit.

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 05:38 PM
link   

OK, I'll take the bait.

In my opinion one person one vote. But, a citizen should only be able to vote when they have skin in the game. If you pay zero federal taxes you don't get a federal vote. If you pay zero state taxes, no state vote. If you do not pay property taxes, no vote on local property taxes. When everyone can vote on every issue you get people voting in their best interests regardless of the cost to their fellow man. Its easy to spend other peoples money.

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: DrChandra

State Tax? If one's state has no income tax, that would make it rather difficult to settle issues via the vote.

No, the only qualification needed is citizen, not resident, of that state, and this country. Anything else in un-Constitutional, as defined by the 14th and 15th amendments to it.

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Russia is stabilizing the situation in Syria. What is America doing in Syria? Who is corrupt? Who is not corrupt? I think the answer is pretty obvious.

(Further hysterical laughter)
Yes, the USA is currently led by a corrupt idiot. Fortunately the system of checks and balances will stop him if he really goes nuts. Russia? The checks and balances have long since been swept away.

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Democracy was always supposed to be this way. The only problem it has is the voting age, which should be mental (relating to the mind), not somatic (relating to the body). Just a thought.

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 06:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful

It used to be that way here in the US a very long time ago.

There were laws that said the only people who could vote were males who were property owners.

Not a male? Do not own any property? Then you could not vote.

Good news is we changed things:

The 14th Amendment:

All persons born or naturalized in the United States and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

The 15th Amendment:

The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude.

So, what you are saying is we should get rid of the 15th Amendment, and make it to where only people who have money are allowed to vote.

Worse: you want to make it to where the super elite decide everything, and only they decide anything.

Of course some will argue that it's that way now with lobbying and bribes......and I can't prove them wrong.

We don't need to change our voting laws.

We need to change how long anyone can be in office......not just POTUS.

Term limits, for everyone, including judges, especially the SCOTUS.

Term limits. It would solve a LOT of problems.

The Constitution and common sense in one post...rare these days.

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 06:27 PM
link   
If a person buys gasoline then they pay taxes. No income but a tax none the less. Many items on that list plus the states and cities.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join