It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Justice Dept. to Take On Affirmative Action in College Admissions

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 10:03 PM
link   
OMG black people can't do it on their own! They can't even get ID's to vote with!

If we don't lower the bar of expectarions black people will be left out of the economy.

Said every racist Democrat ever. Meanwhile most successful black people are conservatives Republicans.

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I think this is a good thing.
When the government says such-and-such business or agency has to hire X amount of blacks regardless of competency or capability at the expense of others who are qualified, you're only hurting people on all sides of the issue.
Many jobs require people to be competent; law enforcement, EMT's, firefighters... Lives are on the line every day, and we're putting those lives in the hands of incompetent people, some of whom can't even write their own names, as was the case of a man my father had to work with due to affirmative action.
Affirmative action helps no one. If you want to help minority communities, then help them... But to do so, we need to acknowledge the actual problem that everyone is afraid to talk about. Blacks are not whites, blacks are not Asians... Races exist because they have their own unique characteristics. Some of those characteristics are beneficial in some ways and detrimental in others.

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Affirmative action may be well-intended, but it is well-intended racism. You can't claim to be against racism, while supporting a racist policy.

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I go to a small private college geared towards adults and from time to time I'll have a class with a black student. They always without fail screw around and make themselves look like fools.

Student #1: Came to class, sat down in chair, leaned back to go to sleep, and sat there snoring. I'm 100% serious.
Student #2: Routinely asked ridiculous questions like "Should we turn our computers on?", refused to stay after each lecture to work on homework, did none of the homework whatsoever (I overheard the professor telling him he had 0's on all of the homework assignments from not doing any of them), stopped coming to class halfway through semester and just disappeared.
Student #3: Talked obnoxiously through each class, made jokes about drugs, switched his seat to sit next to this woman who he spent every class trying to impress... The professor asked the class what our biggest import was and the student shouted out "Marijuana!". When the professor asked him why he said that, he responds with "Cause the marker green!" (The professor was holding a green marker).
Student #4: Refused to do his part of a group project, asked me to do his part for him, eventually got removed from the group for doing nothing whatsoever, copied our project word for word and tried to claim the whole thing was his. During his presentation, he showed 1 slide and spoke for about 1 minute before proclaiming "I don't need to say the rest" and returning to his seat.
Student #5: Came to class once all semester.

After those classes, I saw none of those black students again.
I could go on and on, and that's just college. I have horror stories from all the places I've worked.

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 10:53 PM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

over affirmative action admissions policies deemed to discriminate against white applicants

That's ridiculous. Don't those fools realize that the single biggest recipients of affirmative action programs are white women?! So they won't touch that, but instead will only focus on non-white affirmative action programs?

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 10:54 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

Ironically, it's not the Democrats saying that. It's literally people like you saying that & pretending that we say it too.

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 11:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: TruMcCarthy
Affirmative action may be well-intended, but it is well-intended racism. You can't claim to be against racism, while supporting a racist policy.

Exactly, I've always found it ironic that people pushing equality and affirmative action don't realize those are two completely different things.
To believe in racial equality means that you believe all races are the same as each other.
To believe affirmative action is needed is to believe blacks need special help and assistance because they can't succeed on their own or be competitive with other races.
Can't have both.

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 11:40 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Good. No one should be discriminated against for their race or their gender. Whatever racial and/ or gender privilege that white women are getting should be done away with. :thumbsup:
edit on 8/2/17 by RedDragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 12:45 AM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

Good.

Discrimination is discrimination.

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 12:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant
a reply to: toysforadults

Ironically, it's not the Democrats saying that. It's literally people like you saying that & pretending that we say it too.

Democrats fighting against voter ID laws??

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 08:21 AM
link   
First Trump's Tweet about transgenders in the military. Then the DOJ's unsolicited brief they filed for a private suit that stated the Civil Rights Act does not cover sexual orientation. Now this move. It's almost like all those people who were worried that the Trump administration would target minorities were correct.

Ask yourself, if this project was being instituted with justice in mind why would the project not go to the Educational Opportunities Section? They're the experts on this subject matter and the ones who have made a career out of hunting down and shutting down persecution in education. Instead the project is going to the front office which is filled with Trump appointees. It's clear that this is a politically motivated move designed with a desired outcome in mind.

This is just like the Bush DOJ where the Civil Rights Division was filled with conservatives that had no background in civil rights law. They too chose to focus on "persecution" of whites while ignoring the plight of minorities.

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Yeah, that could change my mind.

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

That is what it appears.
I did not like the former doj making "interpretations" and I will not like this doj making "interpretations". If there is a question on the meaning of a law it is a court decision or congress needs to pass a clearer law. Having an administration threaten funding over its "interpretation" of a law imo is counter to the checks and balances we have.
This will end up in court.

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 09:11 AM
link   
It's about... damn... time...

We have already seen the complete destruction of our public education system K-12. I know this first-hand, because I tutor high school and sometimes elementary students in math and science. None are ever prepared to even enter an underwater basket-weaving class at the college level when I see them, and all are capable of passing college math entrance exams when I get through.

And the horror stories I hear! The absolute garbage being taught by people claiming to be a teacher who obviously couldn't even set up a mathematical model, much less solve it! Public K-12 is not about teaching anything anymore... it is about a place for kids to be while the parents are working, nothing more. Now this same attitude is creeping into the college level... just a place for the kids to be before they move out. Summer camp extension.

Entry level college classes now spend as much time trying to teach that the kids are no longer in high school as they do trying to teach the subject matter.

There is one reason and one reason only for someone to get admitted to college: can that person excel in their field and add something to the industry? If yes, they get accepted; if no, they go find something more suited to them. Color of skin is no more relevant than hair color or eye color or height. Anyone who tries to force ANY such nonsensical agenda in a college setting is unfit to even be around academia, much less in it. Maybe let them be a tour guide in a museum or something... at least they can't destroy lives while feeling all educated and stuffs.

This is one leak I hope is true. I understand the movie Idiocracy is more documentary than comedy, but I would at least like the results to be a little farther in the future...

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 09:31 AM
link   
We do a disservice to people, any people, when we elevate them solely based on their gender or skin color.

Judging people based solely on how they were born is classist, AND racist.

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

Ask yourself, if this project was being instituted with justice in mind why would the project not go to the Educational Opportunities Section? They're the experts on this subject matter and the ones who have made a career out of hunting down and shutting down persecution in education. Instead the project is going to the front office which is filled with Trump appointees. It's clear that this is a politically motivated move designed with a desired outcome in mind.

Oh gee I wonder. Um. maybe because they're racists.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join