It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tillerson : US 'not seeking' regime change in Pyongyang , "We're not your enemy"

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 04:56 PM
link   
The US cannot beat Korea in a war. As it could not beat N Vietnam in a war. The administration is realizing that. NKorea is no Iraq, or Libya.

China and Russia won’t allow the US to just go in there and destroy NK, just as it couldn’t do that to NVietnam.

The US has just got to make peace with this country. Look, there’s no real reason to be even fighting this NKorea.

There are no legitimate issues over land, sea, or ideology; it seems to be a meaningless dispute.

Trump is the guy to do it because he's a republican and unlike Obama can't be accused of being soft on communism as Obama would have been accused
edit on 1-8-2017 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: UKTruth

Quite how you can blame this administration for the utter mess of NK is beyond me, OP.

I can blame this administration for they way they've dealt with it so far , Trump thought he could send a carrier fleet over there and Mr Kim would be so scared he'd stop his activities , once again he shows his naivety.

Still, something needs to be done to work out a way to alleviate the pressure - carrot AND stick seems to be the right approach.

A smart person would use the carrot first , Mr Trump chose the stick because he's a bully.

NK have to know they have a way out as well as know that if they don't take it then a military option is on the table.

I think North Korea know the military option isn't on the table , regardless of what people would have you believe China will not accept an attack on the North unless it's retaliatory.

Appeasement and weakness for 20 years has put the world on the brink of NK having the capacity to destroy the world in a few minutes. You can thank Clinton, Bush and Obama for that.

They understood the realities of the situation , like it or not North Korea hold all the aces.

Nk has been allowed to develop a nuclear capability that can wipe out millions of Americans. It didn't happen overnight. It happened because Clinton, Bush and Obama sat idly by and put millions of citizens at risk of being exterminated. Appeasement simply didn't work.

More appeasement is not going to work either - however a clear choice between war and economic progress and prosperity MIGHT work. I applaud the current administration actually trying to sort this mess out.

At times like this there will always be weak people who want to hide - too afraid to use more force. You fall into that category. Spineless men like Clinton, Bush and Obama were happy to bully and murder those that could not fight back. This time there is an ACTUAL threat - no pretend weapons of mass destruction. A REAL threat to the security of the world.

The last time the US actually took on a real threat head on was in the 80's at the end of the cold war. Mutual destruction one hand, the carrot of prosperity and freedom on the other for the USSR. It took courageous men to hold firm and a leader who understood that hiding and hoping you'll be ok was not going to work.

I suggest you leave it to those with courage to do something about the mess and hide in your basement, cowering with all the other weak men who believe North Korea holds all the aces over the United States of America.

edit on 1/8/2017 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 04:59 PM
link   

a reply to: yuppa

If i was president id be willing to sacrifice Sk over this since its not really americans at risk there.

I'm stunned , what a terrible thing to say.

Don't be stunned at adolescents that have read a few articles in Jane's and consider themselves military experts.
They have no idea what they are talking about, no real experience, just macho BS to try and impress others.

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
The US cannot beat Korea in a war. As it could not beat N Vietnam in a war. The administration is realizing that. NKorea is no Iraq, or Libya.

China and Russia won’t allow the US to just go in there and destroy NK, just as it couldn’t do that to NVietnam.

The US has just got to make peace with this country. Look, there’s no real reason to be even fighting this NKorea.

There are no legitimate issues over land, sea, or ideology; it seems to be a meaningless dispute.

Trump is the guy to do it because he's a republican and unlike Obama can't be accused of being soft on communism as Obama would have been accused

So ignore kim's rhetoric? Let the CCP continue its land grab of the south china sea while dangling N.ko above us?

NO.

China won't put up with it, Russia will be on the fence, don't think those two will come together, they won't.

There is a legitimate issue involving our allies, yeah you so easily forget them, huh?

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 05:00 PM
link   

What you refuse to see is that the real victims here, if the US makes a wrong move, might be millions of South Koreans, who are vulnerable to the North.

That’s why its not as simple as it seems

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 05:03 PM
link   

What you refuse to see is that the real victims here, if the US makes a wrong move, might be millions of South Koreans, who are vulnerable to the North.

So, you're assuming they are weak and will roll over? what about other nations and their peoples?

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I wonder if those who advocate for interventionism in North Korea are also advocates for assisting refugees (innocent civilians) who lose their homes and lives because of warfare.

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: RomeByFire

No, keep them out. Thats the next move the enemy makes, infiltratiom through refugees, Its been observed AND its what I would do.
edit on 1-8-2017 by Arnie123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

What vast tactical acumen do you bring to the table?

Served on the DMZ?
Been to Gary Owen?
Combat in similar environments?

Read about it in a Vox article?

link   
a reply to: Arnie123

So what's the solution.

Bombs away?

link   

We have already been to Korea and couldn't win:

"1950–1953: Korean War: The United States responded to the North Korean invasion of South Korea by going to its assistance, pursuant to United Nations Security Council resolutions. US forces deployed in Korea exceeded 300,000 during the last year of the active conflict (1953). Over 36,600 US military were killed in action.[RL30172]"

link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986
a reply to: gortex

North Korea's end game is nuclear war with the US, and I bet Lil Kim is willing to die fulfilling his countries (and his own) destiny.

Outright lie.

North Korea's end game is to maintain it's status as a sovereign nation. The end game of every state on the planet. There's also the long term goal of reunification of Korea, which is shared by their neighbours in the South.

Since the US adopted a regime change policy towards the DPRK in the early 2000s under the Bush administration they have sought nuclear weapons since they see those as the only way of deterring US invasion. That is literally all the weapons are for. They have no plans for a first strike on anyone.

All their rants about reducing this or that city to a sea of fire is just rhetoric they've been using since the mid 50s.

link   

originally posted by: olaru12

a reply to: yuppa

If i was president id be willing to sacrifice Sk over this since its not really americans at risk there.

I'm stunned , what a terrible thing to say.

Don't be stunned at adolescents that have read a few articles in Jane's and consider themselves military experts.
They have no idea what they are talking about, no real experience, just macho BS to try and impress others.

Pretty much the vast majority of the population and world.
We're not astronuats either, should we not discuss space and our visions for it?

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Of course it is not simple... and people will die.
The courage to stand and fight a man like Kim Jong Whatever has never been easy to come by.
Fortunately for all of us, those that would appease lost the debate in our recent history - we're free because if it.

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 05:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth

The courage to stand and fight a man like Kim Jong Whatever has never been easy to come by.
Fortunately for all of us, those that would appease lost the debate in our recent history - we're free because if it.

Fight him for what exactly?

If his country collapses so does all of East Asia for a multitude of reasons. Which includes America's allies South Korea and Japan. I doubt they'd be happy about that.

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 05:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: 200Plus
a reply to: olaru12

What vast tactical acumen do you bring to the table?

Served on the DMZ?
Been to Gary Owen?
Combat in similar environments?

Read about it in a Vox article?

I served, I don't have anything to prove.

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 05:12 PM
link   

a reply to: Arnie123

So what's the solution.

Bombs away?

You just echoed every general who is tired of the BS No.Ko screams at, you know, nuking the US.

However, a very mindful battle plan must be drawn up, you assume we go in gungo ho, no not this time.
Surgical and precision strikes, maintain the borders. If you can, push. If not, stay and Def.
My experience in the US Army was, once an order was published, it was met at all cost, no excuses.

Will we roll through them? no. Will it be tough? yes, because it has to be done. Why? Because they have repeatedly threatened us and for the most part, ignored it.
We have an administration who will respond now.

You say N.Ko and China have the cards? I say, if they want any cards, they better act fast. A few carrier groups and multi national response will put N.Ko in its spot and the ccp will do well to listen.

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 05:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3

We have already been to Korea and couldn't win:

"1950–1953: Korean War: The United States responded to the North Korean invasion of South Korea by going to its assistance, pursuant to United Nations Security Council resolutions. US forces deployed in Korea exceeded 300,000 during the last year of the active conflict (1953). Over 36,600 US military were killed in action.[RL30172]"

North Korea could most certainly win - at least in terms of defeating the US on their continent.

Make no mistake, if the US back down, then North Korea are open to invade South Korea. Who will stop them?
Then what? More appeasement whilst the US withdraws from their allies?
Funny that such a move was frowned upon until not so long ago.

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 05:14 PM
link   

a reply to: Metallicus

The problem when dealing with someone who is completely insane is you have no idea how they will respond.

You mean President Trump ?
I've seen reports of psychiatrists warning of his mental state but no such reports about Mr Kim.

Why so you think Kim is crazy ?

Please don't twist my words to meet your sick, personal agenda. I meant nothing of the sort and you know better.

edit on 2017/8/1 by Metallicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka

originally posted by: UKTruth

Fight him for what exactly?

If his country collapses so does all of East Asia for a multitude of reasons. Which includes America's allies South Korea and Japan. I doubt they'd be happy about that.

They have developed / or are developing nuclear capability and openly threatening a nuclear strike on the USA.
You can run but you can't hide.
One thing I know from my history is that Americans are not cowards - their penchant for bullying those that cant fight back is a recent trend and one which I don't think reflects the will of the people, just the cowards that have led your country (and mine) for the last couple of decades.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join