It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Solar Eclipse 2017: Oregon Officials Warn to Stockpile Food, Prepare to Shelter In Place

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 02:45 PM
link   

I put this here because it touches a bit on survival mentality.

Officials in Oregon are warning people in the path of totality to prepare to shelter in place as if for a natural disaster. Basically this is because of the expected influx of people into the area, and as far as I am aware (and as far the DAHBOO video is aware) this is the only place warning of this.

Advice from government officials sounds a bit ominous: Prepare to shelter in place. Purchase food and fuel at least a week in advance. Don't expect to be able to use a cell phone in an emergency.

Like Green, residents throughout Lincoln County are heeding the advice to prepare for the eclipse much as they would a natural disaster, like a mega earthquake and ensuing tsunami. The county could go from 45,500 people to more than 115,000 from the Thursday before the eclipse to the Tuesday after - the so-called impact period.

So this is two-fold here.

One, as I live in the path of totality myself, I have an interest in riding this thing out, but secondly, the population influxes for any one of us living in the areas of totality are going to be similar with what I would imagine are going to be similar effects.

I know my husband works in a town considered to one of *the* prime viewing spots in the nation. That town is expecting to go from 76,000 residents to around 500,000 for this event. The effects of that are going to be shocking, and if you are living in one of these areas, you have to expect this is going to take a toll on your area logistically.

I think stocking up may actually be wise. I know we've made plans to carry out our regular shopping early, but it is a bit creepy to hear local officials talking about it like it should be treated as if you are expecting a natural disaster.

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 02:50 PM
link   
DAHBOO - Well there's your problem.

Every body like the fear wagon.

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

I know. That's why I confirmed it with the local source - Daily Oregonian.

The local officials really are warning that, not because they think there will be a natural disaster, but for the reasons I mentioned.

Logistically, they are expecting so many people the area will not be able to cope, and that influx will last for as many as 4 days. So traffic snarls, cell phone system overload, emergency crews will have difficulty getting to you, etc. It will be like a simulated breakdown of services after a disaster. And that's before you talk about the demand on local resources in terms of food.

But that kind of influx of people will likely happen across the country in these areas, so if you live in one, you would be wise to listen and be prepared to stay in place for a few days.
edit on 1-8-2017 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Maybe let us known afterward if the local restaurants raise their prices during the days surrounding.

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 02:55 PM
link   
After reading the actual reason, it makes perfect sense. I would also imagine if you are not on a private well, then storing fresh water would also be helpful in this case. Since with that many people, there will be an incredible demand on the local water and septic infrastructure.

I can also imagine folks charging $$ for use of the restroom in their homes (I know I would). That would help offset any damage to property or infrastructure due to the increased need for these basic services.

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

Husband would be a better judge of that. The town has a better time with price gouging if it's going to happen than Kansas City will.

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Makes sence to me. Buy your goods ahead of time. If the the population triples like that. You can expect long lines at supermarkets even shortages. Gas station will be packed.

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Hopkinsville Kansas is give the same warning because of crowds. Nothing to see here

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Sure, I agree in getting ahead of the game as a local. I would imagine some businesses are preparing to make some big money by setting up to handle a larger demand. As usual, money is what will matter.

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: WUNK22
Hopkinsville Kansas is give the same warning because of crowds. Nothing to see here

I would disagree.

Since not every place is giving these warnings. It might help some folks to think ahead who might not otherwise because their officials didn't do the sensible thing and mention it.

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I live in the path of totality as well. We have been told of the influx of visitors as well. But no warnings that I know of yet.
Perhaps they will come?

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I don't know, we're talking about something that last 3 minutes, then people go back to their lives. Might cause some heavy traffic for the day, but stockpiling seems a bit excessive to me, but hey it never hurts to be prepared

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 03:11 PM
link   
The path of totality will pass through my area. In the interest of survival, we are stocking up on booze.
We, my employees and I are going to Sweet Water Tennessee to do a live radio remote, complete with party. We figure the area will loose about 8 MW's of solar power during the eclipse.

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I live in the path of totality as well but my wife and I will be in Scotland on vacation at the time. I was a little bummed at first but I think now that I will be glad to be away.

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: cleverhans
I don't know, we're talking about something that last 3 minutes, then people go back to their lives. Might cause some heavy traffic for the day, but stockpiling seems a bit excessive to me, but hey it never hurts to be prepared

People will begin to arrive a lot sooner than that. They are not going to show up for a few minutes only. They will arrive early, stake out a spot, and hang until it begins. Until that time, they will need to eat, sleep and use the facilities, right? I mean, I don't imagine folks holding it for a few days, know what I mean?

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 03:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: HummaKavula
I live in the path of totality as well but my wife and I will be in Scotland on vacation at the time. I was a little bummed at first but I think now that I will be glad to be away.

Rent the house for a couple days for the event! Make some $$ off this once in a lifetime thing at least. It could help pay for that trip too!

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 03:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: cleverhans

If you have as many people traveling in to see it as they expect in Oregon and it looks like they expect the influx to last over 4 days, then you will be stuck with a quite a crowd for a few days.

Standard disaster prep is to be prepared to take care of yourself for as many as 3 to 5 days, so I see why they are telling people to expect to treat it like a disaster drill.

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Why is everyone so afraid of a shadow?
This is nuts.

I wish I was in the path for total- but I'm not... I took the day off from work, we're going to go camping out on an island in the ocean for the event.

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac
Why is everyone so afraid of a shadow?
This is nuts.

I wish I was in the path for total- but I'm not... I took the day off from work, we're going to go camping out on an island in the ocean for the event.

If you read the story, you would know its not fear of the eclipse. It is preparations for the massive influx of people visiting the places in the path of it that will push the local economies and basic services to the edge. So you are going somewhere else to take advantage of the local amenities and services. How many others will be going there besides you? Do you think that will not have any impact at all?

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

It's a Happening. I don't think people in general are afraid of it, they just want to view it and be part of the event for fun.

I was dead center of the eclipse path in 10/18/1978 and I remember everyone being into it in the area and I went to a big party with friends the night before and we stayed up all night and waited for it. There were people gathered all over the area to view it.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join