It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery Illness Baffles Doctors

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Starts with itchy bumps and ends with lesions and string like fibers? Doctors say it is delusional but over 1200 people are affected that don't even know each other. Are they trying to hide yet another "plaque" to keep the people from panicing?

www.foxreno.com...

KTVU broke this story last year and now we've learned more than 1,200 people nationwide say they have the same skin lesions and bizarre fibers. Ironically, most are in the medical profession. Adults as well as children have it and it may be contagious.

Evidence is beginning to mount linking this syndrome to Lyme Disease from tick bites.

"The population of people with Lyme Disease believe this is another infection that travels with the Lyme organism," said Dr. Jennifer Choate, a hematologist who helped treat Dillon. "It makes sense because it is in that group we are seeing this pattern."

Marin microbiologist Jenny Haverty has also be studying the mystery malady.

"I accepted specimens from four different people in four different counties in the Bay Area, and I looked at them very carefully over and over again under the microscope," she said. "The colors and shapes of the fibers of each individual were very, very similar."

I hope this isn't a new outbreak of something visious, I think we have enough to deal with already!

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Could be shingles
Just a thought,

Sanc'.

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 08:09 AM
link   
that looks pretty scary, if you follow the link the video actually shows the lesions and fibers.

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 08:12 AM
link   
This is a good story, it's not every day you hear about a 'new' disease. Here's some links for you or anyone else interested to chew on.

www.rgj.com...

www.clickitnews.com

www.worldofthestrange.com...
This one's about 3/4 of the way down the page, it's a big window, scroll down a while..

www.2online.com

members4.boardhost.com...

That should keep you going for a while. Most doctors diagnose this as a paranoid delusion, they call it Delusional Parasitosis I think. There is too much physical evidence to explain away as a trick of the mind, however..

Psychosomatic disorders can be incredibly powerful, and in some cases a mental perception can manifest itself physically. Mind over matter really works, try it sometime. If you are in a hot room, imagine as hard as you can that you are surrounded by ice or sitting in a cool river. Your body can be tricked into believing what you see in your minds eye.

Same is true for the denial of pain, I'm living proof that one can convince the physical body of anything. I walked around with a splintered knee cap for over 3 weeks, telling myself over and over again, "it's not broken, you can walk, no big deal, c'mon you big sissy, you're fine, stop thinking about it and just walk." It worked, and I was lucky enough to avoid long term damage. The point is, if you believe any given thing is true, and you know that beyond any shadow of a doubt, that thing becomes true.

Mod edit: shirtened url with bbcode to preserve page format

[edit on 16-2-2005 by Spectre]

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 07:11 PM
link   
They had this story on Coast to coast last night. They are calling it Morgellons.

www.morgellons.org...

click for image - www.morgellons.org...

Mod edit: replaced image with link to preserve page format

[edit on 16-2-2005 by Spectre]

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I think the disease may have been named after the institute created to diagnose and treat it. If I remember correctly the disease was lumped in with many other psychosomatic disorders, and there is a Morgellons Institute, but I don't know which came first, the chicken or the proverbial egg.

It's a fascinating disease, and almost brings to mind doomsday scenarios with out of control parasites infecting millions of people. It's scary stuff, almost sci-fi. I wonder if it's an evolution of the tick, a strange sort of pseudo replication..

The parasites themselves sort of resemble ticks don't they? The filaments could be the young larval stage of the hybrid tick parasite. Maybe they evolved to breed in multiple ways, and we're just now seeing some of the evidence. It could also be a coincidence that lymes disease sufferers often have this disease. Who knows..

Great picture by the way Bourgeoisie, thanks for posting it.

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Here is the homepage of the victims of this "disease"

www.morgellons.org...

Just another reason for me to say away from warmer climates.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Evidence of Global warming or otherwise evolved weatherpattern in the Bay Area, like more moist or something? improving conditions for critters and other animal carriers of tropical diseases to flourish ?

[edit on 1-3-2005 by Countermeasures]

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 05:59 PM
link   
If it is real ...well there is something there...but it really seems a bit suspicious

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 09:33 AM
link   
As someone who has been diagnosed with both Lyme and Babesiosis in the past all I can say is euwwwww and I sure hope that doesn't happen to me. Actually I know that the chance of it happening is slim to none -- probably would have happened years ago. But still UGH!!

jm

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Now some doctors are saying it is all in their heads.
Wonder if the real truth will ever be told.

www.timesonline.co.uk...

This is not a mysterious disease," says Dr Norman Levine, a Professor of Dermatology at the University of Arizona. "If you polled 10,000 dermatologists, everyone would agree with me." He says he has seen 100 patients suffering from such symptoms, and they responded well to treatment, including a drug called Pimozide, which is used for chronic schizophrenia. According to Dr Levine, they are suffering from a monosymptomatic disorder in which they are absolutely convinced something is in their skin, a delusional parasitosis. He says he has studied the fibres his patients bring in by the bag-load and they are textile in nature.

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by sanctum
Could be shingles
Just a thought,

Sanc'.

Can't be shingles. Shingles is caused by the herpes zoster virus most often, and would follow a very tight dermatome band, thus would not cause scabbing all over the body.

MFP

top topics

join