It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top Republican congressman calls for Mueller to resign as special counsel

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: AboveBoard

originally posted by: carewemust
a reply to: GuidedKill

I don't know anything about that Deputy AG Rosenstein, but he may be part of the swamp-sewer that's out to get President Trump. Which is why he appointed Mueller as special counsel.

The Trump witch-hunt will continue to turn up ZILCH. I'm eagerly looking forward to the Lynch-Comey-Clinton-Rice investigation. Has any special counsel named to get the real crooks yet?

Mueller knowing Comey isn't conflict of interest. They were never "friends" - they e never been to each other's houses or had that kind of personal relationship.

They had an amicable professional relationship, and both believed in quality and integrity to the point of both threatening to resign in protest over Bush era over an ethical issue.

Link

David Kelley, Comey’s attorney, said the idea that Comey is “best friends” with Mueller is an overstatement.

David Kelly:

Jim and Bob are friends in the sense that co-workers are friends. They don’t really have a personal relationship.

Jim has never been to Bob’s house and Bob has never been to Jim’s house. … They’ve had lunch together once, dinner together twice, once with their spouses and once after Jim became FBI director so Bob could give him a run-down on what to look out for. [Bob] is not a mentor. He’s friendly, as colleagues are.

And...for perspective...

Comey] is merely one of many, many witnesses and frankly a witness whose credibility has been tested publicly for all to evaluate.

The important thing here is Jim has been fired and he accepted that. He doesn’t have skin in this game. So where’s the conflict? A conflict speaks to how Bob would do something to benefit Jim.

The attempt is one of creating a negative public perception through false characterization of the known work ties between Mueller and Comey, like Comey is somehow one side of a divorce trial and Trump is the other. Mueller isn't working on behalf of Comey, he is working on behalf of the American people.

And he's not working alone. He has a whole team of prosecutors who are there making decisions and acting on the side of the law.

These attempts to discredit the investigators and thus the investigation serve to give Trump political cover with the public, as well as give Trump supporters in Congress a way to cast doubt, which is the oldest play in the book to cast oneself as a victim of partisan villainy.

On Mueller

Robert Mueller might just be America’s straightest arrow—a respected, nonpartisan and fiercely apolitical public servant whose only lifetime motivation has been the search for justice.

He was the most influential and longest-serving FBI director since J. Edgar Hoover himself, and someone who has settled since his retirement from government in 2013 into being that rare voice-beyond-reproach that companies and organizations recruit to lead investigations when they need to tell shareholders or the public that they’ve hired the most seasoned and respected person they can find, someone who will pursue a case wherever it leads without fear or favor.

Link

So they weren't friends or close working buddies says.......Comey's attorney!?!?!!?!? LMAO

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Yes, because in Sessions' case it was necessary due to having been caught in a lie about Russia.

It wasn't necessary; it was an ethical decision on his part. Mueller should do the same and for the very same reasons.

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 12:57 PM
link   

I don't know what to tell you man. Nothing is going to convince you otherwise. If the Supreme Court takes this case up and they find that Comey and Mueller have no conflict of interest, you'd claim its rigged and the wool is being pulled over all our eyes.

News flash. Mueller isn't going to be removed for conflict of interest. This whole charade is to make people like you froth at the mouth with the idea that it is in fact a witch hunt, and nothing Mueller discovers can be believed. Why would poor little innocent Trump and Co. go through all these length to do something like that since he's so innocent of any wrongdoing whatsoever?

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
I don't see any reason for him to step down.

He is in charge of the investigation and will complete it to it's end, and will then hand over his findings to the DoJ.

They will be the one's that decide the value of the evidence Mueller has collected and whether or not any actions should take place.

Trying to push Mueller out will only prolong the process and drag this out much further than it needs to.

We both agree on one thing....If Trump attempts or attempts to influence Mueller to step down it will be a mess.

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: GuidedKill

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

And what particulars of this case make it a conflict of interest?

They were each others mentor and worked "closely together" per their own admission. Sang praises about each other publically. How is all this all of a sudden not a conflict??? This is the whole bases of the part of the definition.

Working closely together does not logically constitute a conflict of interest. If so, virtually every professional relationship in government and business could be considered a conflict of interest. The experts have weighed in on this, and there is nothing to this conflict-of-interest accusation that Trump and his minions are pushing in order to undermine the investigation. It's desperation. It's another pathetic attempt to derail something Trump doesn't like. It's right-wing propaganda.

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheTory
It wasn't necessary; it was an ethical decision on his part. Mueller should do the same and for the very same reasons.

Oh, you're right, Mueller should recuse himself since he publicly and on the record stated that he and Comey were best buds, and shared everything together.

These poor courageous Republican congressmen lawyers are like modern day white knights, letting the unwashed masses in on the super duper secret that Comey and Mueller share secret BFF promissory rings!

This is all bloviating hogwash. When even the republicans with the power to go after Mueller for this aren't giving you guys the time of day, its time to hang that hat up.

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 01:00 PM
link   

He is in charge of the investigation and will complete it to it's end, and will then hand over his findings to the DoJ.

They will be the one's that decide the value of the evidence Mueller has collected and whether or not any actions should take place.

Trying to push Mueller out will only prolong the process and drag this out much further than it needs to.

We both agree on one thing....If Trump attempts or attempts to influence Mueller to step down it will be a mess.

You mean like if he went on TV pushing the narrative that they were very good friends?

Oh...wait...he already did that. Oof. That's embarrassing.

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: Grambler
However, lets be honest. If Comey had intentionally leaked info about meetings with Hillary to the media for the purpose of having a special investigator, and then that investigator was Comeys mentor, and that investigator started appointing lawyers that were republican donors left and right, many of the same people claiming there is no conflict of interests now would be shouting through the roof.

Um... No... Liberals sat and waited through 8 #ing investigations into Benghazi. At no point did I hear people trying to sideline them with frivolous claims about conflicts of interest. Yet again you project conservative tactics onto liberals.

Oh the fbi director leaked info to the media to ensure a special investigator into Hillary and benghazi? And that investigator appointed Republican donors?

I must have missed that.

And despite this, people like you still cried about the benghazi investigations.

And where was this mindset of not complaining about investigations when the doj was going to look into trump Russian collusion?

No, you and many others claimed a special investigator was needed and demanded sessions refuse himself. Funny how you now act like any questions of conflict of ineterests are woethless, when that is the exact argument people like you made to demand a special investigtor.

And all the while, people like you fought tooth and nail against having an independent investigation when lynch met Bill on tarmac.

link   

originally posted by: burntheships
a reply to: introvert

Funny how some people conveniently ignore the fact
that Rod Rosenstein wrote a letter filled with reasons
why Comey really failed in his job, and needed to be replaced.

So Rosenstein is credible, or not?

I don't know much about Rosenstein. I'd have to read up on him before making any judgment on him.

link   

a reply to: Krazysh0t

Yes, because in Sessions' case it was necessary due to having been caught in a lie about Russia.

Exactly my point!!

Apparently Ethics is only a good thing when it helps the Trump Russia Narrative....

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
Jim Comey isn't under investigation.

There's no conflict of interest.

So if comey eventually is investigated, then you will admit there is a conflict of interests?

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Sessions recusing himself was solely to save his own ass. If it had come out later in some fashion that there was some kind of influence peddling he'd be looking at treason charges.

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Absolutely. Still, I see no reason for him to step down.

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

However, lets be honest. If Comey had intentionally leaked info about meetings with Hillary to the media for the purpose of having a special investigator, and then that investigator was Comeys mentor, and that investigator started appointing lawyers that were republican donors left and right, many of the same people claiming there is no conflict of interests now would be shouting through the roof.

Um... No... Liberals sat and waited through 8 #ing investigations into Benghazi. At no point did I hear people trying to sideline them with frivolous claims about conflicts of interest. Yet again you project conservative tactics onto liberals.

Oh the fbi director leaked info to the media to ensure a special investigator into Hillary and benghazi? And that investigator appointed Republican donors?

I must have missed that.

And despite this, people like you still cried about the benghazi investigations.

And where was this mindset of not complaining about investigations when the doj was going to look into trump Russian collusion?

No, you and many others claimed a special investigator was needed and demanded sessions refuse himself. Funny how you now act like any questions of conflict of ineterests are woethless, when that is the exact argument people like you made to demand a special investigtor.

And all the while, people like you fought tooth and nail against having an independent investigation when lynch met Bill on tarmac.

I won't even derail and go into Clinton and all their collusion....But it is funny have the seekers of justice sway like the wheat fields...

No conflicts when it serves their narrative....

Worst part is people skip over where I say I wouldn't care if Trump were guilty...I just don't like to see obvious rail road jobs and obvious conflicts between the lead investigator and a witness who have a "good working relationship" and Comey is already a proven liar....Does Mueller still stand by his praises of Comey? Does he even have an opinion as he did when he praised him?

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Wayfarer

It doesn't really matter. It is about the appearance of impropriety, a concept you cannot seem to grasp. Because Republicans also had their dirty hands in this Russia affair, you might need to retire the partisan arguments.

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 01:09 PM
link   

So if comey eventually is investigated, then you will admit there is a conflict of interests?

So if Comey isn't being investigated, then you will admit there isn't a conflict of interest? Obviously not.

2 separate things. Comey being investigated. Conflict of interest. The latter is a non issue now no matter what. The former is unrelated to conflict of interest because all of you jokers took a Repub Senators double pinky swear promise that Comey and Mueller are secret lovers (which you will only be able to commiserate about with each other since most of the Republican's don't buy that load either.

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 01:09 PM
link   

a reply to: Wayfarer

It doesn't really matter. It is about the appearance of impropriety, a concept you cannot seem to grasp. Because Republicans also had their dirty hands in this Russia affair, you might need to retire the partisan arguments.

Believe me they didn't read any of my sources that clearly explained this....

Russia Russia Russia!!

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 01:12 PM
link   

If that is truly your excuse it should have been made moths ago when special council was appointed.

At that time the Republicans including trump supporters thought he was the man to do it.

Literally everybody was siked.

Then when it looked like he was taking it seriously met with the judiciary committee and sub committe in the Senate and Grassley and Graham said go for it full on...the story started changing to he is biased, look at his cousins uncles sisters donations, look at his lawyers political donations.

Those things only work on those unfamiliar with the political system and way things work in Washington.

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: luthier

If that is truly your excuse it should have been made moths ago when special council was appointed.

At that time the Republicans including trump supporters thought he was the man to do it.

Literally everybody was siked.

Then when it looked like he was taking it seriously met with the judiciary committee and sub committe in the Senate and Grassley and Graham said go for it full on...the story started changing to he is biased, look at his cousins uncles sisters donations, look at his lawyers political donations.

Those things only work on those unfamiliar with the political system and way things work in Washington.

EXACTLY. It's not like Mueller's professional relationship with Comey was a mystery when he was appointed.

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 01:15 PM
link   

I can grasp it quite adequately. You seem to have trouble understanding this scenario though, and I'm not sure if its just because you're not properly educated in our system or you're willfully obtuse about which details you erroneously spout.

Mueller is under no obligation to recuse himself under the 'appearance' of impropriety vis-a-vis his 'claimed' relationship with Comey. You and those who think like you can rail all they want and dig up as much bunk as you want to fill that void of evidence that there is some impropriety, but thankfully we're still under a rule of law, so idiotic slander holds no weight except in echo chamber forums posts.
edit on 31pm17fpmTue, 01 Aug 2017 13:15:56 -0500America/ChicagoTue, 01 Aug 2017 13:15:56 -0500 by Wayfarer because: spelling

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join