It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top Republican congressman calls for Mueller to resign as special counsel

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: GuidedKill

However in this particular case I agree with the articles sighted in the OP...Mueller has an obvious conflict of interest being his and Comey's past working relations and dealings. That's my opinion..

And once again I ask (third time now) does that mean a police department should not be able to investigate someone that works at the DA's office due to having a working relationship?

link   
a reply to: Wayfarer

Huh? Sessions admitted to having dealings with Russia flat out, he had to recuse himself. Could you please show me where Mueller said he was best friends with Comey (and furthermore where he insinuated that he was in any way influenced by Comey)?

It doesn't matter if they are best friends or not. The grounds for recusal is the mere appearance of conflict of interest, even if there is no conflict of interest itself.

link   

and even hospital visits

You mean the hospital "visit" where Mueller and Comey both went to Ashcroft's hospital room to ensure that the White House didn't coerce Ashcroft into signing off on a wiretapping order they'd already found to be unconstitutional? That hospital visit?

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 11:41 AM
link   

The assertion that Mueller should recuse himself due to a conflict of interest is just plain bologna.
The argument that Mueller and Comey are somehow BFF's has been widely discredited. They were professional colleagues, that's it. They weren't eating dinner at each other's houses; they weren't attending ball games, etc.

And the fact that some of the members of Mueller's team have donated money to dems doesn't mean squat either. Lawyers can vote and donate as they see fit. It's their professional conduct that needs to be scrutinized, and by all accounts, these folks have solid reputations and are quite accomplished--taking down organized crime families, etc. Ethics experts have weighed in on this: there's nothing inappropriate going on.

Keep in mind that Mueller himself is a republican, nominated to serve by another republican. Should he recuse himself because the current POTUS is a republican? Hardly. He has a reputation--and there are a lot of republicans who will admit this--for being an excellent, impartial investigator. If there's corruption, he'll find it. His moral compass is impecable.

Finally, if Trump is so innocent, and this is truly a witch hunt, what do they have to worry about?
If it's a nothing-burger, Mueller will figure that out in a hurry.
In the meantime, perhaps Trump should quit behaving in ways that don't exactly suggest innocence. He's not doing his cause any good.

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: luthier

The legal experts?

Who appointed Mueller?

Too many to list...

Robert Barnes is a California-based trial attorney whose practice focuses on Constitutional, criminal and civil rights law. You can follow him at @Barnes_Law.

LINK

www.justice.gov...

www.law.cornell.edu...

edit on 1-8-2017 by GuidedKill because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

"Hey, that shady NYC real estate developer with mob ties is clean.."

Said no one ever.

The Special Counsel was appointed to investigate a counter intelligence
matter. The scope is not a wide open free for all to feed the frenzied
bloodthirsty throngs of haters. Everyone must have thier pound of
flesh, throw law to the wind as this is not a principled crowd,
it's Game of Thrones and only red meat will appease the zombies.

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

However in this particular case I agree with the articles sighted in the OP...Mueller has an obvious conflict of interest being his and Comey's past working relations and dealings. That's my opinion..

And once again I ask (third time now) does that mean a police department should not be able to investigate someone that works at the DA's office due to having a working relationship?

That's a broad question and can't be answered with a yes or no... Depends on situation...

Is this particular situation they have a conflict....

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 11:45 AM
link   

“means a close and substantial connection of the type normally viewed as likely to induce partiality.”

Sort of the key phrase.

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 11:52 AM
link   

And what particulars of this case make it a conflict of interest?
edit on 8/1/2017 by Xcalibur254 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 12:03 PM
link   
John Kelly will see thru this BS...I wonder if Trump will eventually fire him as well...However Trump won't be able to bully Kelly like all his other lap dogs.

Ironic that Trump brings in a man to add lost credibility and that man could very well be the presidents undoing....
edit on 1-8-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Who appointed Mueller was it Obama?

Did he have complete approval when picked?

Did all the Republicans forget he was friends with James comey when they talked about high integrity?

This man literally worked with comey to try and stop over reaches of surveillance...

Now he is a scapegoat and the Trump supporters are complaining about leaks from tell expansion of surveillance. That Mueller and comey were attempting to stop....

It's amazing what the media can make folks believe.
edit on 1-8-2017 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Dudemo5

Like this.

Ken Starr was investigating payments made to staffers and the like and noticed that Monica was being paid all out of proportion to the work she was doing which really seemed to be no work at all.

Whenever someone seems to be paid way too much for doing nothing, it sets off red flags because it looks like possible blackmail or someone being paid for doing something illegal. Think Awan Imran and DWS for a more recent example of how the investigation moved in that direction.

Of course, what they found was a president paying his mistress, and then Clinton lied about it under oath which opened him to perjury charges.

Yeah, I get it. I really do. My point was that there are political ramifications and outcome limiters for those who push a prosecution too far out of bounds.

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: ladyinwaiting
So employing "seven degrees of separation" would make everybody subject to resignation?

Put Kevin Bacon in charge and we are all good.

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: bknapple32
You guys are scared....

So what do you call it when someone like me who didn't support or vote for Trump, sees what our so called elected officials are doing to get him out so they can all go back to the status quo and corruption they're used to? What I've seen so far since he was elected and even before, are the DEMS and REPUBLICANS showing their true colors. Showing that an outsider doesn't stand a chance at getting anything done about all the corruption and the double standard between us and them. I believe Trump truly wants to drain the swamp and the effort by both sides to prevent that should scare all of us.

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
If Trump has nothing to hide he should welcome any investigation by anybody and everybody. Didn't he just claim to be the "transparent" president? Prove it Mr. Trump and release your IRS files.

I wonder, what would you chuckleheads bitch about if he released his Tax returns? (you had better start compiling a list just in case he does release them) although he has no legal obligation to do so.

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Simon_Boudreaux

If you have only read about baseball, and then are asked to pitch the world series how well are you going to do?

Besides he ain't an outsider. He is a lobbyist. That's just another part of the interior.

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gandalf77

The assertion that Mueller should recuse himself due to a conflict of interest is just plain bologna.
The argument that Mueller and Comey are somehow BFF's has been widely discredited. They were professional colleagues, that's it. They weren't eating dinner at each other's houses; they weren't attending ball games, etc.

Wasn't Mueller Comey's mentor for years?

In the end it really doesn't matter, nothing has been found so far with vast resources invested, so it is not like there is some hidden smoking gun just waiting to be found. All this special counsel is a waste of time and money to prove what we already know, but hey that is Washington.

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

What I wonder is why anybody thinks

"If you have nothing to head, let them look."

is a good way to go about your life.

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: Gandalf77

Wasn't Mueller Comey's mentor for years?

In the end it really doesn't matter, nothing has been found so far with vast resources invested, so it is not like there is some hidden smoking gun just waiting to be found. All this special counsel is a waste of time and money to prove what we already know, but hey that is Washington.

Yeah they tried to stop the bush administration from expanding surveillance, which causes leakers....

And can you show the report where they found nothing?

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

I don't know anything about that Deputy AG Rosenstein, but he may be part of the swamp-sewer that's out to get President Trump. Which is why he appointed Mueller as special counsel.

The Trump witch-hunt will continue to turn up ZILCH. I'm eagerly looking forward to the Lynch-Comey-Clinton-Rice investigation. Has any special counsel named to get the real crooks yet?

Mueller knowing Comey isn't conflict of interest. They were never "friends" - they e never been to each other's houses or had that kind of personal relationship.

They had an amicable professional relationship, and both believed in quality and integrity to the point of both threatening to resign in protest over Bush era over an ethical issue.

Link

David Kelley, Comey’s attorney, said the idea that Comey is “best friends” with Mueller is an overstatement.

David Kelly:

Jim and Bob are friends in the sense that co-workers are friends. They don’t really have a personal relationship.

Jim has never been to Bob’s house and Bob has never been to Jim’s house. … They’ve had lunch together once, dinner together twice, once with their spouses and once after Jim became FBI director so Bob could give him a run-down on what to look out for. [Bob] is not a mentor. He’s friendly, as colleagues are.

And...for perspective...

Comey] is merely one of many, many witnesses and frankly a witness whose credibility has been tested publicly for all to evaluate.

The important thing here is Jim has been fired and he accepted that. He doesn’t have skin in this game. So where’s the conflict? A conflict speaks to how Bob would do something to benefit Jim.

The attempt is one of creating a negative public perception through false characterization of the known work ties between Mueller and Comey, like Comey is somehow one side of a divorce trial and Trump is the other. Mueller isn't working on behalf of Comey, he is working on behalf of the American people.

And he's not working alone. He has a whole team of prosecutors who are there making decisions and acting on the side of the law.

These attempts to discredit the investigators and thus the investigation serve to give Trump political cover with the public, as well as give Trump supporters in Congress a way to cast doubt, which is the oldest play in the book to cast oneself as a victim of partisan villainy.

On Mueller

Robert Mueller might just be America’s straightest arrow—a respected, nonpartisan and fiercely apolitical public servant whose only lifetime motivation has been the search for justice.

He was the most influential and longest-serving FBI director since J. Edgar Hoover himself, and someone who has settled since his retirement from government in 2013 into being that rare voice-beyond-reproach that companies and organizations recruit to lead investigations when they need to tell shareholders or the public that they’ve hired the most seasoned and respected person they can find, someone who will pursue a case wherever it leads without fear or favor.

Link
edit on 1-8-2017 by AboveBoard because: Added refs

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join