It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump Stopped funding Syrian terrorists after seeing beheading video

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 11:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

I'm just gonna go ahead and take credit for setting the precedent. Genius reverse psychology on my part.

It's a good thing to see though.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 11:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

The issue was discussed at length with senior intelligence officials, and no good answers were forthcoming, according to people familiar with the conversations.

Why does this not at all surprise me. Bunch of scum bags cannot even try to justify their actions because there simply isn't any good justification for intelligence agencies to be aiding these terrorists overthrow a government. It's about time they admitted that truth to themselves.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Small update on this referencing Trumps tweets on the matter.

Most of the Donald’s tweets amount to street brawling with his political enemies, but occasionally one of them slices through Imperial Washington’s sanctimonious cant. Indeed, Monday evening’s 140 characters of solid cut right to the bone:

The Amazon Washington Post fabricated the facts on my ending massive, dangerous, and wasteful payments to Syrian rebels fighting Assad…..

Needless to say, we are referencing not the dig at the empire of Bezos, but the characterization of Washington’s anti-Assad policy as "massive, dangerous and wasteful".

No stouter blow to the neocon/Deep State "regime change" folly has ever been issued by an elected public official. Yet there it is – the self-composed words of the man in the Oval Office. It makes you even want to buy some Twitter stock!

Predictably, the chief proponent of illegal, covert, cowardly attacks on foreign governments via proxies, mercenaries, drones and special forces, Senator McWar of Arizona, fairly leapt out of his hospital bed to denounce the President’s action:

“If these reports are true, the administration is playing right into the hands of Vladimir Putin.”

That’s just plain pathetic because the issue is the gross stupidity and massive harm that has been done by McCain’s personally inspired and directed war on Assad – not Putin and not Russia’s historic role as an ally of the Syrian regime.

www.zerohedge.com...

I agree with both points; its almost unheard of for a high ranking official to publicly call out the horrible regime change policies as Trump did, and McCain is a war monger.

I hope that Trump learns that if the CIA and people like McCain lied about financing and arnming these "moderates" in Syria, he will question their advice in other areas of the world.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 11:46 PM
link   
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

As you remember I, on the left, gave Trump a chance to earn a credit.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 11:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

You shouldn't feel the need to mention it, especially to me. It's not about me, never was.

Do it because it's right, simple.

Let's not derail the thread with this.

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 08:11 AM
link   

I have bumped into that vid a few times but refuse to do the clicky . In fact your post is the closest I have come to the story in reading about it . The CIA/MSM hasn't put it out much but for different reasons , instead they seem to like nothing burger news like why the Mooch got fired or hired in the first place ....

Going back to Eisenhower's farewell warning speech ,we can see this monster MIC that it has become .Anyone reporting about it from a partisan perspective if fooling both themselves and the people they claim to inform . Weather a pro this or a anti that approach is possible to overcome ,I can't say but it should be a important metric imo

Comparing one to another might only be in the shear volume , ie .Hollywood vs alt media ...or Canada's Navy vs the Russians . The shear volume of push back comparing Obama to Trump is crazy . Obama went along to get along , Trump not so much .

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 08:45 AM
link   

I agree that this is a refreshing move, on the face of it.

It's true that the establishment has been trying to overthrow Assad since 2012 or 13, including through the funding and arming of the opposition. As you say, there has been evidence for several years now that many such groups were not only radical extremists but also not even Syrian. I've protested this proxy war the whole time.

My question would be, however, if our government truly is ending the effort to get rid of Assad? I don't trust it really ending, even if they do so behind Trump's back. The deep state won't give up it's geo political machinations that easily.

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 08:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986

Wishful thinking Grambler, the left will never give credit where it's due.

But I'd love to be proven wrong in this thread.

Wrong. I as a liberal just gave credit above this.

I recognize that many liberals stereotype conservatives, but can people on here PLEASE deny ignorance and stop stereotyping both sides as two monolithic groups?

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 08:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

Now keep in mind, Obama, people like McCain, folks in the CIA, and almost all of the media even left leaning ones supported arming these people, and the media almost universally (including right wing media) mocked Trump for going against Pence by saying we should stop arming these terrorists.

And Hollywood was all for these groups too. Remember the White Helmets? We were fed propaganda over and over about how noble these rebels were, and meanwhile there was public evidence of their horrendous behavior, including them beheading an innocent boy while cheering.

I'm all for not arming terrorist groups to fight proxy wars so in this instance, I'll give Trump a thumbs up but this is far from the only thing going on.

I'm composing a thread right now about what's shaping up in Afghanistan and it's business as usual. Right down to Bannon bringing Mattis proposals to put the CIA in charge of a mercenary force to guard the plundering of mineral wealth, enriching big money supporters.

And I really don't know where this "Hollywood" stuff comes from. Mnuchin is one of the biggest Hollywood producers around.

He has produced 45 movies since 2014 alone and these are all big budget films:

Wonder Woman, Mad Max: Fury Road, Suly, The Legend of Tarzan, The Accountant, Suicide Squad, Batman vs Superman, the various Lego movies, etc.

One of his biggest supporters and our Treasury Sec is a Hollywood heavyweight. Bannon has his own production credits, though they're mostly just right-wing propaganda documentaries. And of course, the President is a reality TV star and has enjoyed celebrity douche bag status for decades.

How are these clowns any different from the "Hollywood" types that Trump supporters thumb their noses at? As far as I can tell, not very different at all. I think it's typical conservative rhetoric about "Hollyweird" that hasn't made this little sense since the Reagan years.

Agreed. I won't be satisfied until all of these proxy wars, regime change operations, "civil disturbances," and bombings/dronings stop excepting actual legitimately needed situations.

It's not enough to end it in Syria. As you say, there is still a problematic situation in Afghanistan.

Then there is our aid to Saudi Arabia in Yemen.
edit on 1-8-2017 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 09:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Quetzalcoatl14

My question would be, however, if our government truly is ending the effort to get rid of Assad? I don't trust it really ending, even if they do so behind Trump's back. The deep state won't give up it's geo political machinations that easily.

Great question.

I think that a lot of the deep state push against Trump was that they were afraid that he would oppose their regime change efforts around the world.

The big reason I supported Trump or Bernie (even though I hated Bernies domestic policies) and Rand Paul and his father was to end this disastrous policy.

Regardless of what boondoggles Trump may get in, at the very least he has proven (at least to me) that the deep state is corrupt and will fight to keep their power, the main stream media ia complacent and even supporting of this, and the establishment republicans and democrats are in cahoots with these policies.

My hope is that average people start to wake up to this. Even though I identify as a conservative, I hope that true liberals can see just how fleeced they were by the last administration, and how the deep state is fighting Trump right now to keep control. I hope that Trump takes this lesson from Syria and applies it to other areas such as Afghanistan and Saudi Arabia.

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
This is a great move by Trump, his weapons deal with the Saudis is troubling though. SA is the largest terrorist funder (armorer) in the world so it seems to be a little at odds with this awesome gesture and decision. Trump is very wishy washy in my opinion.

TRUMP is very wishy washy? Let me guess... you are a 1 year old genius with advanced reading skills who JUST NOW read "Foreign Affairs" for the first time?

You might want to take a little stroll down memory lane of American foreign policy. LOL

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Definitely a good move

What's happening in Syria is an extension of the "Arab Spring" that overthrew Gadaffi in Libya, and caused lesser trouble in several other countries in the region. The attempted overthrow of Turkey's president a while back was also the same strategy, by the same Deep State actors who want to see the Middle East in turmoil. Except, Turkey's president was able to quash the astroturfed insurgents and purge them from his government.

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 11:36 AM
link   
You are saying as if Trump is able to decide anything about military interventions, operations, fundings, etc. He's not, but the MIC is.

Did Obama himself decide to fund those "moderate rebels"? Maybe Bush? Clinton? No. They are the actors to draw your attention.

I wish I was wrong, but the story from the OP is just a cool story.

P.S. Oh ####, I've just broke my promise to avoid pseudo-political threads...
edit on 2017 by JedemDasSeine because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: AndyFromMichigan
Definitely a good move

What's happening in Syria is an extension of the "Arab Spring" that overthrew Gadaffi in Libya, and caused lesser trouble in several other countries in the region. The attempted overthrow of Turkey's president a while back was also the same strategy, by the same Deep State actors who want to see the Middle East in turmoil. Except, Turkey's president was able to quash the astroturfed insurgents and purge them from his government.

Yeah, im convinced now the Arab Spring was either created or taken advantage of by intelligence agencies/western powers to overthrow unwanted governments and meet some geopolitical agenda.

The worst part is, to this very day most of my friends and family, including people with even degrees in international affairs, think it was just grassroots democracy in action...

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 12:29 PM
link   

I'm with you about supporting alternative politicians, especially those who are willing to address US foreign policy and wall street/DC corruption. I was a big Bernie supporter. After he got shafted, I simply could not support Clinton, because I felt that not only was she a neo-con, corrupt, establishment politician, but she would continue all of these wars and regime change operations.

However, with respect, I also felt strongly that Trump wasn't/isn't a true outsider. His family is deeply connected to the NY/DC power establishment, even to the mafia here in NY. Moreover, as I'm sure you know, being outside of politics itself isn't enough. The military-industrial complex and establishment are made up of a collusive oligarchy of powerful financial and political interests. This idea that just because he wasn't from the DC politico faction, he was going to drain the swamp, was naive at best.

I cannot support the continuing US foreign policy and wars. It's outright evil to me or oppressive, knowing our history of interventionism over the past 100 odd years. The problem is, both parties pretty much tow the line on that front. It makes it very difficult for me to support either one. I don't agree with Ron Paul on much of his domestic policy propositions, but I agree with much of his view on foreign affairs.

I voted Jill Stein pretty much as a protest vote this time around.

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

Well.....the Kennedy boys weren't outsiders either...just sayin'

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Great OP!

In the greater scheme of things it may be this alone that may justify Trump's election over the evil doer and murderess Hillary. She would likely have continued on this Syrian fiasco.

The only problem though is that Trump is geared towards a war with Iran, b y the same sinister forces that did the war in Syria.

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell

Great OP!

In the greater scheme of things it may be this alone that may justify Trump's election over the evil doer and murderess Hillary. She would likely have continued on this Syrian fiasco.

The only problem though is that Trump is geared towards a war with Iran, b y the same sinister forces that did the war in Syria.

Yep.

Again, I hope that if trump saw through the deep states regime change plans in syria, perhaps he will in other areas.

But I am not holding my breath

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 02:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell

Great OP!

I doubt Trump is looking to pick a fight with Iran. North Korea, maybe, but even there I think his real goal is to push China to reign them in (since China is the only country with any influence over NK).

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 02:25 PM
link   
It is refreshing to see even people that dislike Trump to applaud him for this.

But I knew that many of you that dislike him are actually quite reasonable people, thats why I like these discussions on ATS.

However, it is humorous that some of the loudest anti Trump voices on ATS have no comment.

Would it be crazy of me to think it would be silly for these people to not want Trump to stop regime change wars?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join