It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US detects North Korea committing 'highly unusual' submarine activity

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 10:37 PM
link   
I was told ages ago Diesels were hard to detect..

All Kim would need is 1 or 2 missiles to send the US into a tailspin economically.

Kim doesn't need to win, he needs to start it.. maniacs all over the world would keep the fire burning

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 10:56 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

Almost all of their subs are littoral boats. They're short range, designed for inserting troops into the South. They have one class of longer ranged boats, based on the old Soviet Romeo class, but it only has a range of about 1500 miles. They'd need a lot of help to go into blue water.

Diesel boats are designed to be ultra quiet, in all operations. The biggest noise from them is when they snorkel. When they're running on batteries there is almost nothing to make noise.
edit on 8/1/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 10:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Alien Abduct

you should expand your news sources beyond "western media"

You make a great point - usually I am very active with both ATS & world events, but since June I have been working 100 hours a week and only catch blips of the (US) news here and there as a result. I'll do better next time

Thanks for the chiggity-chin check

edit on 2-8-2017 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 05:28 PM
link   
While everyone on the US carrier strike group is looking thru binoculars, straining to see the missile track in the atmosphere, the track of a torpedo coming right at them from the opposite side goes unnoticed.

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 05:23 PM
link   
The UN and North Korea are still technically at war. An armistice was signed in '53(?) to cease hostilities, nothing else has been done to end the official fighting.

posted on Sep, 10 2017 @ 11:32 PM
link   
The old Soviet Romeo class subs are basically improved copies of WW2 German U boats.

The german U boats had no problems crossing oceans.

Now for EMP if a 10 to 20 MT weapon went off over the center of the US it would have a footprint twice as long north and south as its wide.
It would hit in canada and mexico but not do major damage to non grid connected electronics on the east and west coast.
That means cars and trucks on both coast would likely run though some may need the computers rebooted by disconnecting one battery cable for 10 minutes.
Because the US electrial grid is so inter-tied power will likely go out across the US.
www.geni.org...
Some power plants on both coast could survive if the disconnect from the grid before a high altitude MT weapon goes off. smaller weapons have smaller footprints.

since the norks do not have MT weapons nor the missles to launch them likely the EMP total destruction area would be smaller for non grid connected electronics. if the US set up a grid disconnect system to open all inter-tie switches before a weapon went off this would help protect larger parts of the US.
with both a grid disconnect system and a power plant disconnect system

posted on Sep, 10 2017 @ 11:38 PM
link   
a reply to: ANNED

The Romeo class subs are being phased out.

posted on Sep, 10 2017 @ 11:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

What google allows you to find out about North Korea and what they actually have may well be 2 different things I seem to recall South Korea lost 70 per cent of the acknowledged fleet in 2015 in one hit,they can be sneaky, thats all Ill say I dont want to 404 anything.

posted on Sep, 10 2017 @ 11:59 PM
link   
a reply to: khnum

Who said I'm only using Google though? I talk to a lot of people in a lot of different areas around the military. Google is a good place to start, but it's not the only source of information out there in the world.

As far as that story of them losing 70% of their fleet, it was overblown. They had a handful of subs that sailed unexpectedly, but that was it. Someone leaked to the media that somewhere around half of one type of sub suddenly sailed, and it became half their fleet was suddenly gone. Most of their subs can't get out of littoral waters though.
edit on 9/11/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 12:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Spotted in 2014 under construction Sinpo Class loa 67m beam 6.6m approx 1000 tonnes,wonder how many they have

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join