It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ex-Sheriff Joe Arpaio found guilty of criminal contempt

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 05:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Left logic.

LEO's doing their job=lawbreaker.

Illegal alien raping old ladies in our country and getting released over and over again = super hero to the left.

Why is it always right verse left with you Americans and thinking in extremes?

You dont have to be a lefty to dislike Apario.

To be honest i dont give a crap about the illegals.

Its the fact he is as corrupt as hell and abuses constitutional rights.

And sure round up illegals and jail/deport them but not at the expense of dealing with sexual and violent offences.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 05:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: InsaneIthorian
And the prosecution can point out the corruption of:

No, no they can't. His appeal will be directed at what he was just convicted of: contempt of court. That doesn't involve all these fantasies that are slung against him.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: burdman30ott6

So the luxurious Mesa Hilton facility was not constructed under his tenure?

If I understand that correctly, that prison is a City of Mesa venture, not a Maricopa County one.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 05:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

No, no they can't. His appeal will be directed at what he was just convicted of: contempt of court. That doesn't involve all these fantasies that are slung against him.

Fantasys?

The facts are there.

He should of been sacked when he started webcams in the jails and displaying mug shots of people that hadn't even been charged let alone convicted of a crime!

You just see someone willing to crack down on illegals (again no problem with that) but are choosing to ignore the slew of rights abuses.

Or your the sort to just give a free pass simply because he belongs to republicans.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 05:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

originally posted by: thesaneone

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
So he'll have to pay for any fine levied against him from his own pocket instead of relying on the people of Arpaio County.

Actually the National Center for Police Defense has picked up his legal tab for him to date. The fine, as I understand it, is likely to be a maximum of $5,000 and regardless of jail time or not, he'll appeal and demand a trial by jury (have fun with that, Arpaio haters... no jury is going to convict him of this).

In other words, he's inconvenienced at worst by this.

More than likely they will convict him because it was the snowbirds that kept him in office. All the prosecuting lawyer would have to do is remind the jury of the millions he has cost that county in lawsuits and his ass will be where it belongs behind bars.

Snowbirds don't flock til after thanksgiving so that myth won't fly.

Collage students is another issue.

They vote in February so it does fly.

My bad, you are correct.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Or your the sort to just give a free pass simply because he belongs to republicans.

That's what Republicans are now. The others that don't, is the second sort.

Welcome to fascism.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Lived in Arizona for several years. I respect Sheriff Joe and the job he did. His deputies respected him. He handled the inmates humanely, if a bit rough and I would vote for him repeatedly if he was young enough to run again. The people who shout at the injustice the loudest do not live near the border. I would like to see more people like Sheriff Joe.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 06:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Its a damn shame that a man that treats criminals like the criminals they are instead of granting them slumber parties and drugs is punished for it. May he be promoted to a post in ICE I hope.

What's a damn shame is - - people like you who think that's all it is.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 06:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: searching411
Lived in Arizona for several years. I respect Sheriff Joe and the job he did. His deputies respected him. He handled the inmates humanely, if a bit rough and I would vote for him repeatedly if he was young enough to run again. The people who shout at the injustice the loudest do not live near the border. I would like to see more people like Sheriff Joe.

I've lived in AZ for 20+ years.

I've followed this story from the beginning. Not just MSM, but local papers and personal stories.

He deserves no respect.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Whoa I feel like some Mandella stuff is going on... I guess I have been asleep but from what I remember, he enforced the law. If he was guilty of all this other stuff that people claim, wouldn't he be in jail for life x 10?

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 09:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: iTruthSeeker
Whoa I feel like some Mandella stuff is going on... I guess I have been asleep but from what I remember, he enforced the law. If he was guilty of all this other stuff that people claim, wouldn't he be in jail for life x 10?

Well hillary should be in jail too........ being in politics seems to give one immunity to some extent.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 09:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: searching411

Obama didn't live near the border, yet he became a target of Sheriff Joe, just because he was non-white. So, Sheriff Joe wasn't just pulling over American Citizens who looked "brown" and might be Mexicans, traveling near the border, and asking them for their "ID" to prove they were Americans, he was asking the President of the United States too, to prove he belongs there. How could anyone, in their right mind, ever respect that Sheriff ?

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 09:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: VictorVonDoom
Seems to me the judge overstepped his bounds. The legislative branch makes the laws, the executive branch enforces the laws, and the judicial branch interprets the laws. A judge can't tell a sheriff how to enforce the law any more than a sheriff can tell a judge how to rule on a case.

The judge can direct the Sheriff to work within the boundaries of the law.

My understanding of the situation, and correct me if I'm wrong, is that this sheriff was going after illegal immigrants. The judge told him to stop because immigration laws are federal laws, beyond the scope of the sheriff's jurisdiction.

I don't think that a sheriff should ignore violations of federal law because their jurisdiction doesn't have a matching law. Should a judge be able to instruct a sheriff to ignore a counterfeiting operation because it's a federal crime? Should a sheriff ignore a kidnapping that crosses state lines because it's the FBI's job? Should a sheriff turn a blind eye to illegal gun running because that's the ATF's problem?

Should a sheriff be able to arrest a judge who doesn't follow a mandatory sentencing requirement? How about being able to arrest a judge who gives someone jail time for contempt of court. A case could be made there for false imprisonment and armed kidnapping, if you follow the letter of the law.

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 12:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: VictorVonDoom

My understanding of the situation, and correct me if I'm wrong, is that this sheriff was going after illegal immigrants. The judge told him to stop because immigration laws are federal laws, beyond the scope of the sheriff's jurisdiction.

I don't think that a sheriff should ignore violations of federal law because their jurisdiction doesn't have a matching law. Should a judge be able to instruct a sheriff to ignore a counterfeiting operation because it's a federal crime? Should a sheriff ignore a kidnapping that crosses state lines because it's the FBI's job? Should a sheriff turn a blind eye to illegal gun running because that's the ATF's problem?

Can a parking ticket officer conduct a murder investigation?

Every officer of the law has "some jurisdiction" and "limited scope" on what part of the law he is "hired" to enforce.

Can a dentist do a neurosurgeons work? Both are in the medical profession. Both may even have the same title "Dr."

Since a judge is the one that interprets the law, he is the one that tells the enforcers what to enforce. The enforcer is not allowed to "interpret" the law, that's the role of the judiciary. The "law makers" can't even "interpret" the laws that they write themselves, it's again the role of the judiciary. So, the law makers had better write the law in an unambiguous way, so that it is easy to interpret it and arrive at the original intent.

So, once a judge gives you an order, you the enforcer must follow that order and carry it out. That's what the enforcer is hired to do.

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 12:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: iTruthSeeker

Basically, in the beginning he was requested to set up a system to handle illegal immigration.

He crossed the line of acceptable. Basically rounding up anyone who looked Mexican, harassing and interrogating them.

He invaded businesses, rounding up, harassing and interrogating everyone who looked Mexican.

Basically illegal profiling. There's more, but profiling was the main issue. He was ordered to stop his practices. He refused.

edit on 1-8-2017 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 04:07 AM
link   
In truth he was doing his job to protect his state,he was not the only one who were against immigration laws,his jails were know for no frills,I read some posters saying people were tortured and beaten?,only thing that happened to prisoners is,they got a no frills lodging,jail is supposed to be a deterant,not Club Med,grow up,although I hated him,can't bring up false charges,then your the criminal

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 05:01 AM
link   
i remember 10 years ago, everybody was praising the "toughest sheriff in the world". Now hes a joke, a hippocrate, and just another criminal.
Im giving 10:1 odds my local sheriff follows in his footsteps. David effing Clark. The registered Democrat loved by Republicans. The embezzler. The negligent boss who let his prisoners die of thirst (literally) because he cut his maintenance staff to nothing, and had no one to fix his sink. The guy who let women go into labor with no medical attention, and as result had their babies die. The guy who is paid over 100,000 a year, yet last year, was only in Milwaukee for 113 days, of the 248 days required on his contract.
Soon.... He will be a joke just like ol joe...

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 06:19 AM
link   
a reply to: iTruthSeeker

To be fair it want just him that was guilty. It was the entire MCSO. And they jabber been found guilty on numerous occasions. But because it was an organization and not an individual all that could really be done is levying fines. Fines that were paid for by the taxpayers of Maricopa County.

That is how he has managed to avoid jail time.

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 07:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Oldtimer2

What false charges? The MCSO has had to pay out $43 million in lawsuits. There have been 2150 lawsuits filed against the MCSO in regards to jail conditions. That's more than 50 times the number of lawsuits brought against the New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, and Houston jail systems combined. We have numerous cases of inmates, some still awaiting trial (aka innocent), being killed or permanently injured at the hands of MCSO correctional officers. And let's not forget the fact that not once but twice a judge has declared the jail conditions to be unconstitutional.

There's no making this stuff up. It's right there in court records.

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Oldtimer2
In truth he was doing his job to protect his state, . . .

Only if you were part of his white boys club, with a few token boys of color.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join