It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ex-Sheriff Joe Arpaio found guilty of criminal contempt

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Former Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio was found guilty on Monday of criminal contempt for defying a judge's court order to stop traffic patrols that targeted immigrants.

Arpaio, 85, was charged with misdemeanor contempt of court, declaring that he willfully defied a judge's order in 2011 and prolonged his patrols for another 17 months, Fox 10 Phoenix reported.

He is expected to be sentenced on Oct. 5 and faces up to six months in jail if convicted, though some attorneys doubt Arpaio will face any jail time.

Source

I know we're not supposed to find joy in the suffering of others but this just brings a smile to my face. This seriously could not have happened to a more deserving man. The only downside is that he probably won't face jail time. At least he's no longer sheriff. So he'll have to pay for any fine levied against him from his own pocket instead of relying on the people of Arpaio County.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
Former Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio was found guilty on Monday of criminal contempt for defying a judge's court order to stop traffic patrols that targeted immigrants.
He is expected to be sentenced on Oct. 5 and faces up to six months in jail if convicted

I hope they put him in a "pink dress" and give him a long mirror in his jail cell, so he can sit and contemplate himself.

edit on 31-7-2017 by AMPTAH because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: AMPTAH

Why stop there? Give him the full Arpaio treatment. Beat him, serve him rotting food, and deny him life essential medication.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

Hope he ends up in his own concentration camp as that is pretty much what this tyrants prison was.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 02:44 PM
link   

He is expected to be sentenced on Oct. 5 and faces up to six months in jail if convicted, though some attorneys doubt Arpaio will face any jail time.

Why does it say "if convicted?"

Also, he won't serve any jail time...he's CIA and has devoted decades to turning the other way while they traffic drugs. Look how he distracted people with his cold case posse on the Obama birth certificate stuff. He's golden. This is a token 'conviction,' nothing serious.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 02:45 PM
link   

The sooner this guy is locked up and the key thrown away the better.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Maybe he will just move to a sanctuary city. You don't have to enforce the laws in those I hear.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Better than nothing I suppose. It's too bad he won't be locked up for the abuse he inflicted.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 02:51 PM
link   

a reply to: AMPTAH

Why stop there? Give him the full Arpaio treatment. Beat him, serve him rotting food, and deny him life essential medication.

Gotta appear tough when you are only letting the CIA's traffickers in with their product to corner the U.S. illegal drug market.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

Looks like they "zipped up" one of the last of the controlled opposition brigade people.

Now more than ever, people will automatically "believe" Obama's "heritage" is as they want everybody to think.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 03:34 PM
link   
This judge is an idiot. For one thing the Sheriff wasn't "tageting" immigrants. He was targeting "trespassers". One is only an immigrant when it's done legally. Doing it other than the/a legal way makes them criminals. Criminals should be "targets"...Joe was doing what he was elected to do. This judge is not. Not sure they elect judges in Az. But that bathrobe wearing, nut job needs removed. His kind are a threat to our society and have done enough damage. They need to be stopped.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Its a damn shame that a man that treats criminals like the criminals they are instead of granting them slumber parties and drugs is punished for it. May he be promoted to a post in ICE I hope.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 03:42 PM
link   

So he'll have to pay for any fine levied against him from his own pocket instead of relying on the people of Arpaio County.

Actually the National Center for Police Defense has picked up his legal tab for him to date. The fine, as I understand it, is likely to be a maximum of $5,000 and regardless of jail time or not, he'll appeal and demand a trial by jury (have fun with that, Arpaio haters... no jury is going to convict him of this).

In other words, he's inconvenienced at worst by this.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry

Its a damn shame that a man that treats criminals like the criminals they are instead of granting them slumber parties and drugs is punished for it. May he be promoted to a post in ICE I hope.

Except he was not just treating criminals like criminals.

People who where only charged and not yet convicted ended up in his brutal prisons.
What happened to innocent until proven guilty?

The tyrant was also one of the worst abusers for asset forfeiture, again What happened to innocent until proven guilty?

Also I am all for treating murders, rapists and pedos as brutally as possible but other crimes? Especially non violent its counter productive as its shown clearly the more brutal the prison the higher the reoffending rate.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 03:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

So he'll have to pay for any fine levied against him from his own pocket instead of relying on the people of Arpaio County.

Actually the National Center for Police Defense has picked up his legal tab for him to date. The fine, as I understand it, is likely to be a maximum of $5,000 and regardless of jail time or not, he'll appeal and demand a trial by jury (have fun with that, Arpaio haters... no jury is going to convict him of this).

In other words, he's inconvenienced at worst by this.

Everyone that loves freedom should hate Arpaio due to his complete lack of respect for the basic concept of innocent until proven guilty.
That has to be one of the most important rights, yet he trampled on it time after time.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: InsaneIthorian
Also I am all for treating murders, rapists and pedos as brutally as possible but other crimes? Especially non violent its counter productive as its shown clearly the more brutal the prison the higher the reoffending rate.

That's false once you remove the illegal aliens from the mix, and that was an issue with an Obama ICE that refused to enforce federal law.
www.enterstageright.com...

Arpaio's critics ignore or downplay the good he has done. His drug prevention and treatment program has been a success; a recidivism study found that only eight to ten percent of the 2000 men and women who graduated from it have returned, vastly better than the nation's 60-70 per cent recidivism rate.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Hopefully he can go back to doing what he was doing after this sillyness is over.
edit on -050003pm7kpm by Ohanka because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Ohanka

Fading into obscurity?

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: InsaneIthorian

Oh goodie, a no true Scottsman fallacy. :rolleyes:
The Ninth Circuit Court overran their coverage yet again on this one. Snow's initial ruling was a nod to Obama, intended to stop Arizna from actively enforcing immigration laws the feds refused to act on. This ruling was one 9th judge protecting another 9th judge's wrong ruling.

I can play this game, too... everyone who believes in the 6th amendment should be outraged at this conviction because it was in no way a trial by jury, nor was the decision maker even remotely impartial.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: InsaneIthorian

Seriously. He imprisoned political rivals or their family members and he just so happened to release them once they dropped out of the race. Then there's the conditions people were subjected to before they even went to court. Which per the language of our Constitution means they were innocent. Things like being subjected to dangerously high temperatures and inedible food. Conditions were so bad that twice a judge ruled that they were unconstitutional. And let's not forget the deaths from beatings, torture, and things as simple as denying healthcare.

And for all those people claiming he was tough on crime maybe you should check out his department's track record on sex crimes. There was a case where an uncle was accused of abusing his niece but it was dropped because their prime suspect was too busy to come in for questioning.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join