It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ACA survives and thrives with subsidies

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Now that the Ohio Department of Insurance paid them what they came to get, they promised to offer ACA plans in 19 out of 20 counties in Ohio that they previously they would not offer a plan next year. Now that they twisted the arm of the government to give them the money they wanted, they have once again decided to sell ACA plans in those 19 counties. Still one more county in Ohio where the Ohio Department of Insurance and them haven't came to a deal yet.

www.bloomberg.com...

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: allsee4eye

So, let's just throw more money down the hole in hopes it eventually closes up? LET THE ACA DIE. That's the only rational solution now that Congress has failed to do their job. Defund it from the executive position and sit quietly as it writhes and starves out.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

That may sound well and good for you, but that will be political suicide from all the people doing that screws over. The ACA is more popular than ever and you may want to come to terms with that.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Both Republicans and Democrats in the D.C. Sewer want to entice health insurance companies to fill the gaps, by offering them whatever black-mail money they ask for. Election season is almost upon us!

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Doesn't that sounds a lot like extortion?

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Yes, we are subsidizing capitalism. Like that new IT plant in Wisconsin that will cost the taxpayers $200,000 for each job. Why stop there.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac

Doesn't that sounds a lot like extortion?

Oh no, that is the free market.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

That may sound well and good for you, but that will be political suicide from all the people doing that screws over. The ACA is more popular than ever and you may want to come to terms with that.

BS! The GOP likely just committed political suicide in not doing whatever it took to straight out repeal the ACA.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I don't have a problem with it, but then again.......I'm retired and going on Medicare. If I was a working stiff, I'd be madder than hell!

What's interesting is that I've discovered that uninsured rates are going UP! See:wtkr.com...

The share of Americans who lack health insurance is on the rise, reversing years of declines since Obamacare was enacted. Some 11.7% of Americans were uninsured in the second quarter of 2017, up from a record low of 10.9% at the end of 2016, according to the Gallup-Sharecare Well-Being Index, released Monday.

The increase in the uninsured has been concentrated among young adults, ages 26 to 34, Gallup found. Their rate has jumped 1.5 percentage points since the end of last year. They may be most sensitive to rising premiums on coverage they may not use that much. Instead, they may prefer to pay the penalty.

I guess........the problem is the penalty is way too low. Maybe they should drastically raise it and add a criminal penalty for failing to buy insurance!

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

BS! The GOP likely just committed political suicide in not doing whatever it took to straight out repeal the ACA.

Possibly. They were in between a rock and a hard place. Promising political suicide to their constituents when there was no political reality towards repealing ACA since it really has helped people and while hasn't fixed all our health care problems has lessened them somewhat. Maybe they shouldn't have spent the last 7 years trying desperately to kill the bill they helped write to score political points.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

I'm a working stiff and I have affordable health care.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 02:04 PM
link   

It has hurt as many as it has helped, but herein lies the real disaster known as the Kept Voter. A pool of them has been created in America and the right has not yet figured out the fact that they will not be appeased or swayed, so why bother trying to do so? The only solution to them is to starve them of their fee rides, forcing them to actually take responsibility for themselves and pay their own way then, and only then, is there a chance for those (former) Kept Voters to recognize how protective one can be over their own earnings and turn into GOP voters.

This repeal and replace BS was a ridiculous attempt at wooing voters to the right who weren't going to be wooed by someone offering less dowry for the same "service" as they were giving the Dems who paid them in crap like the ACA in the first place. "Screw them" would have been a much better strategy for the GOP. Pander to your base and hose anyone who disagrees.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Through your employer I'd guess. While at the same time you're paying fat taxes to support the insurance companies.

The only "fair" thing to do is to get the insurance companies out of the equation for basic and catastrophic care via single payer. If Sweden and the UK can do it, the US can do it.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 02:08 PM
link   

It has hurt as many as it has helped

Really? Proof? I understand that the ACA added 20 million people to the health insurance roles. So I'm sure you can produce a source that shows that 20 million people were hurt by these new gains.

but herein lies the real disaster known as the Kept Voter. A pool of them has been created in America and the right has not yet figured out the fact that they will not be appeased or swayed, so why bother trying to do so? The only solution to them is to starve them of their fee rides, forcing them to actually take responsibility for themselves and pay their own way then, and only then, is there a chance for those (former) Kept Voters to recognize how protective one can be over their own earnings and turn into GOP voters.

This repeal and replace BS was a ridiculous attempt at wooing voters to the right who weren't going to be wooed by someone offering less dowry for the same "service" as they were giving the Dems who paid them in crap like the ACA in the first place. "Screw them" would have been a much better strategy for the GOP. Pander to your base and hose anyone who disagrees.

The problem is that the right keeps trying to appeal to idiot extremist conservatives who want to unwind every gain our government has ever made just because they assume that anything the federal government does is bad. The moderate right needs to instead abandon those fools who have forgotten how to compromise and don't represent American values and come together with the Democrats to fix the ACA.

Once the GOP remembers that they too once supported social programs and welfare our country can back on track again.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 02:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS
The only "fair" thing to do is to get the insurance companies out of the equation for basic and catastrophic care via single payer. If Sweden and the UK can do it, the US can do it.

Really? That's more "fair" than simply expecting folks to put equal effort into taking responsibility for their own provisions in this life? Really?

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Americans have short memories. A good tax-reform bill that benefits all Americans will overshadow the ObamaCare repeal FAIL.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

Through your employer I'd guess. While at the same time you're paying fat taxes to support the insurance companies.

I LOATH insurance companies, but here's the thing. The insurance industry makes up a SIGNIFICANT sector of our employment data. If we eliminate it then all those people will be jobless. Killing the insurance industry would crash our economy. If we want to get rid of it, we need to phase it out slowly. Not kill it with flat out.

I'm not saying the current situation is preferable, but I really tire of anti-ACA people pretending like the ACA is the worst thing ever. It helped a lot of people and could help even more if we'd just fix it.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 02:12 PM
link   

a reply to: TonyS

I'm a working stiff and I have affordable health care.

I'm going to start a thread about that later today...

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

I do not think so
If you like your dr you can keep your dr is no different than repeal-replace

If the gop has the ability to fix healthcare and does not....they will lose in 18

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 02:17 PM
link   
The old government economic model:

If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.

We are currently at stage three of the government health insurance plan.

This is not "free" market. Anything with government involvement and control is not "free." Any market you are compelled by law to interact with, is not "free" so stop calling any of this health care boondoggle "free" market. It stopped being "free" the minute government compelled us all to be part of it.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join