It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senator Feinstein Makes Shocking Admission About Obamacare

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 11:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Maybe they can afford the premium but not the deductibles.

Ever think of that?

Now keep going and attack as many members as possible.

Never let your opportunities slip by you.

Or just the bills that follow.
The girl needed antibiotics last week- got some sort of serious infection from a simple cut from shaving.
With the insurance, the antibiotics cost about what they would cost in a free market- $10, maybe $20.
The doctor visit cost $150- and hundreds more that insurance paid.

If insurance didn't exist, you'd pay the doctor maybe $50 to diagnose and prescribe, then go to the store and get your $10-$20 antibiotics.

She would feel that $30 a month. That $150 will take quite some time to repay.

None of this would be a problem if insurance hadn't allowed the cost of medications and care to skyrocket, and the ACA isn't helping her... just raising the total cost and paying off some of the difference.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody

Those in congress would be wise to get this fixed.
People vote with their pocketbooks first, and fixing obamacare was a tentpole for both POTUS candidates and parties.
A third party with this issue alone could get traction enough to break the whole 2 party system.

I think it would be more accurate to say that people vote with their emotions. That's why Obamacare was sold to the public using lies and horror stories. It wouldn't surprise me if the next time Obamacare is challenged, they resort to ads showing emaciated Ethiopians with a Sarah McLachlan soundtrack.

Congress votes with their pocketbooks. Specifically, how much money the insurance and medical lobbies contribute to their campaigns. I think it's safe to say that any "fix" to Obamacare that passes Congress will benefit those industries.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: XxitsTtimexX

If you are worried about the monthly then you should really be planning for the deductible. One trip to the er will easily get you to the 1500. Even if it is "subsidized" by the govt it in no way appears to be "affordable" to you if you are worried about the 30/mo premium.
Good luck. In my experience health insurance has been an outrageous racket since 2000, and it was not bettered in any way by the ACA. Will you be paying closer attention to what congress is doing about this?

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 12:01 PM
link   

$30 a month comes with 100 times the deductable. It really matters not whether they can afford he thirty a month. They would have to save for 100 months that same amount just to meet the deductible God forbid they actually need to use the insurance they pay for for a real emergency.

Sure checkups and annual physicals are covered. But if they literally break a leg, they may as well not even have insurance.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: VictorVonDoom

Congress votes with their pocketbooks. Specifically, how much money the insurance and medical lobbies contribute to their campaigns. I think it's safe to say that any "fix" to Obamacare that passes Congress will benefit those industries.

I do not disagree with that.
I do seem to remember a lot of people on the gop side asking for a majority so they could fix the problem. Six years later(for some reps/senators) it seems they had no plan, and are now not interested in a fix.
It seems to me they no longer wish to hold their jobs and we should try some that will fix this.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
Why is this surprising? No one thinks the ACA is perfect. It is however better than what came before it. It's better that a straight repeal. And it's better than whatever that monstrosity the GOP tried to pass as a replacement.

Unfortunately we live in a world where healthcare is the largest lobby in the country. So whatever does eventually get passed you can bet it's prime goal is going to be about benefiting healthcare execs and not the common man.

Nice opinion there... sure I do not doubt it helped some people, I know some people that once the dust finishes clearing they will have no choice but to declare bankruptcy to get out from under the mountain of debt their "affordable" health insurance dropped on them.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: AndyFromMichigan

originally posted by: lordcomac
This isn't shocking... It's reality.

Although I guess it may become shocking to some in Cali who have their head in the sand...

It is it shocking that this guy admits it?

Yes, it's shocking to hear her admit that, because your typical Democrat talks about Obamacare like it's some great accomplishment, instead of destroying people's choices to give them expensive healthcare that hardly covers anything.

They have to try to hold it together now until they get power back because the end game is single payer and it was always intended to be that way.

My suspicion is that they tried to mandate near universal coverage in Obamacare policies and then intended to watch the market implode because insurance cannot cover everything for everyone and be economically viable. They were making their "point" in the stupidest way possible by forcing you gentleman to have maternity coverage while we ladies have to have prostate exam coverage and everyone must be covered for sex changes we will almost certainly never need, only the very barest percent of us might.

But packing universal mandated coverage into a policy makes it very, very expensive and, of course, they wanted to "prove" that private insurance could never cover everyone against every possibility so they imploded the market forcing it through regulation.

Then they claim the only possible fix is for the government to run it all, so they can create a huge new voting block -- health care workers!

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

And they wouldn't be in that position of the ACA was never passed? Premiums were rising at a greater rate pre-ACA than post-ACA. Not to mention that a lot of policies pre-ACA were absolute garbage.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

In my sisters case yes, he plan which was considered "not good enough" because it did not have coverage that would never be used for her or her daughters was axed.

The closest she could get to her old plan has an outrageous deductible and she makes a hair to much to qualify for subsidies , add in her youngest being in and out of the hospital for over 2 years, needing psychiatric help due to an assault, as well as having a physical problem that they think they finally got fixed, well you do the math.

her old plan would have covered all of it, at a much lower deductible... as it stands now my dad covers all her normal bills at the start of the year while she pays the deductible.
edit on 31-7-2017 by Irishhaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Diane Feinstein is proving herself to be one of the least nutty of the left-wing leadership.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 12:47 PM
link   
So things are not true until the left says it too? The failure of ACA is something that been out in the open for a few years now, and has been a concern from day one. Nothing has changed other than it is worst than first thought of what it would get. People thinking they have affordable health coverage with ACA today is a joke.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust
you take that back right now! She is demon spawn from hell who wants to castrate your constitutional right to self defense while being a hypocrite and embracing that right for herself.

DO not allow her slight of the tongue to fool you, she needs to fall in a spontaneous open cavern that swallows her up and then shuts immediately for her trip to hell.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: XxitsTtimexX

You can't afford $30 a month?

If you're implying that $30/mo (plus the 100%-higher deductible) isn't a big deal, maybe ask better questions, like what is the increase in co-pay, prescription costs, and other out-of-pocket expenses that may come out in the $30 plan versus the $160 plan.

Of course, I do kind of align with you on this one in wondering what luxuries in XxitsTtimexX's life that could be jettisoned in order to afford the $30...or skill could be used to earn a one-time $30 each month.

I'm torn, because I know a guy who works in my building (the janitor) who can't afford any health insurance right now, but at the same time, he goes drinking at bars every weekend, too.

Priorities, I suppose. (not implying anything about XxitsTtimexX)

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: allsee4eye
ACA put every poor person on insurance and charges the federal government for it. It's called cost sharing subsidies. It's a subsidized industry. Win win for both. Poor people get insurance. Insurance industry gets free bailouts.

And the working class gets to pay for it all...

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
a reply to: carewemust
you take that back right now! She is demon spawn from hell who wants to castrate your constitutional right to self defense while being a hypocrite and embracing that right for herself.

DO not allow her slight of the tongue to fool you, she needs to fall in a spontaneous open cavern that swallows her up and then shuts immediately for her trip to hell.

I said that Feinstein is one of the least nutty of the left-wing nutjobs, and I stand by it!

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

And yet what you're describing doesn't sound too different than what was happening pre-ACA. Except pre-ACA we were seeing more bankruptcies, including hospitals, and even if you were covered for something there's no guarantee that your insurance wouldn't just drop you. It sucks that your sister is going through it but it's not really a product of the ACA. It's a product of the US using a system where the people that pay for our healthcare only make a profit when they don't pay for our healthcare.

I do have to ask though, why doesn't she just switch to a plan that covers her needs?

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry

$30 a month comes with 100 times the deductable. It really matters not whether they can afford he thirty a month. They would have to save for 100 months that same amount just to meet the deductible God forbid they actually need to use the insurance they pay for for a real emergency.

Sure checkups and annual physicals are covered. But if they literally break a leg, they may as well not even have insurance.

What's worse $1500 for expenses or $30,000 for expenses?

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

I'm not saying it isn't a big deal. I wouldn't want the $1500 deductible either. I'm just trying to show it is better than nothing and even with the high deductible still usable contrary to the popular sentiment about Obamacare policies.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody
a reply to: xuenchen

We have "insurance", employer sponsored that I pay over 500 per month for.
This year already I have paid over 5k out of pocket to meet deductables. Two visits to the er, one for my sons sprained ankle( which was horribly swollen and I thought he had broken), and one for my wife who had gotten a nasty case of bronchitis and laryngitis at the same time. We have a savings account and were able to pay these. I do not think most americans do. I also think 5k for an ankle xray, an ace bandage, and some painkillers, and a chest xray and some antibiotics is very cost effective for the hospital but not for us.
Those in congress would be wise to get this fixed.
People vote with their pocketbooks first, and fixing obamacare was a tentpole for both POTUS candidates and parties.
A third party with this issue alone could get traction enough to break the whole 2 party system.

And this is where the Dems were most disingenuous when crafting the ACA...they could have just as easily controlled costs as set up the failing system they did that has torn the heart out of the working class. You are absolutely right those services in ER shouldn’t have equalled $5k. People, even doctors, don’t need to make thousands an hour (estimated 1-1.5 hours per visit, with lower wages for nurses and techs). The usual argument is R&D costs on test equipment and medical devices, though that R&D has usually been paid for 10,000 times over.

The ball is not the poor or uninsured...the ball should be the medical industry Godfathers abusing citizens throughout the world.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Lab4Us

And this is where the Dems were most disingenuous when crafting the ACA...they could have just as easily controlled costs as set up the failing system they did that has torn the heart out of the working class.

They had the numbers and could have passed whatever they liked. We got the ACA.
Now the gop has the numbers and can pass whatever they like. So far we have gotten nothing. Only mildly worse than the ACA imo.

If the gop does not get off their asses and fix healthcare they deserve to be shown the door. They need to hear this as it appears re-election is the most important thing to them.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join