It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Trump Should Ignore Russian Sanctions Bill

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 07:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Dfairlite

Just for the record, he can't simply ignore the bill. Or to be more exact, any bill that's sent to the President automatically becomes law if he doesn't veto it or sign it into law within 10 days (I think that's the time period).

Also, the legislative branch are the literally law makers. It's their job to make laws and they can make laws on anything they want (while the judicial branch makes sure they're consistent with constitutional law). The executive branch simply interprets, executes, implements, and enforces the laws passed by Congress. So the more specific Congress makes this law, the less leeway Trump & the executive branch will have in interpreting it.

I'm neither agreeing nor disagreeing with the idea of sanctions on Russia. Just pointing out that he still has to carry out his constitutional duties as President, whether he agrees with it or not.
edit on 31-7-2017 by enlightenedservant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 07:10 AM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Yes, he can do ignore it. Congress is on recess and doing nothing is a pocket veto. Congress has to start back over if that happens. If they were in session, you're correct, it would become law after 10 days of inaction.

The legislative branch can't create laws that violate the constitution. The constitution grants the executive most of the powers in foreign affairs (save it be a few exceptions like tariffs). They cannot create a law that limits that constitutional power of the president except through an amendment to the constitution.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 07:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant

Just for the record, he can't simply ignore the bill. Or to be more exact, any bill that's sent to the President automatically becomes law if he doesn't veto it or sign it into law within 10 days (I think that's the time period).

Also, the legislative branch are the literally law makers. It's their job to make laws and they can make laws on anything they want (while the judicial branch makes sure they're consistent with constitutional law). The executive branch simply interprets, executes, implements, and enforces the laws passed by Congress. So the more specific Congress makes this law, the less leeway Trump & the executive branch will have in interpreting it.

I'm neither agreeing nor disagree with the idea of sanctions on Russia. Just pointing out that he still has to carry out his constitutional duties as President, whether he agrees with it or not.

Separation of powers and checks and balances cuts all ways. If Congress made a law that was unconstitutional, the Executive Branch (or anyone else) can challenge it and have it struck down.

You are right that Trump can not simply ignore the bill, but he can refuse to abide by it by having the law stayed, wrapping it up in the legal system for years until the Supreme Court decides on it's constitutionality.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 07:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dfairlite
a reply to: enlightenedservant

The legislative branch can't create laws that violate the constitution. The constitution grants the executive most of the powers in foreign affairs (save it be a few exceptions like tariffs). They cannot create a law that limits that constitutional power of the president except through an amendment to the constitution.

This is why he should veto it my view and force Congresses hand.
Such a bill would make the job of the Executive impossible. The State Dept in dealings with Russia, North Korea and China would be impotent... Can you imagine then trying to play hard ball with Russia, and Putin just turning around any saying - "nah, I'll get my lobbyists to chuck millions and Schumer and McConnell and they'll just over rule you".

In fact, this bill opens up such an avenue for corruption, I would be surprised if lobbyists, especially from China, are not already targeting members of Congress with huge bribes.. remember those sanctions on Chinese banks linked to North Korea that the Trump administration put in place???? Makes you wonder why NK was added to the bill just after the Trump administration started looking at Chinese banks in relation to NK...

www.ft.com...
edit on 31/7/2017 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Ah, true. I forgot about the exception if Congress adjourns during those 10 days.
www.senate.gov...

The legislative branch can still make laws that violate constitutional law. But then the judicial branch steps in, usually because of a lawsuit challenging the new law. I even touched on that when I said "It's their job to make laws and they can make laws on anything they want (while the judicial branch makes sure they're consistent with constitutional law)".

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Uh, Russia hacks us, which is considered an act of hostility, and you say let it go with 0 repercussions? Okay. Your opinion.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 07:56 AM
link   
a reply to: kurthall

LOL they hack us every day and we hack them every day.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Ignore it how?
He's just a man. He's not god.
What do you mean he should just ignore the sanctions. How would he even go about that once the sanctions are in place?

PS if the president was ever brought to trial by the Senate the supreme court wouldn't have any say in the matter. Except that the chief justice would preside because the VP would have a conflict of interest.
Beyond that it's not up to the supreme court.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Is that the new mantra?

I heard dear leader say it it must be.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Russia's economy is in the toilet.
They are a very poor nation for its population and size.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

So hows Lizzys relationship with them?
How's Theresa's relationship with them?

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Soooo... You are telling Trump to ignore a law? I thought you guys elected him because he doesn't pick and choose which laws to obey?

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Yes, he can do ignore it. Congress is on recess and doing nothing is a pocket veto. Congress has to start back over if that happens. If they were in session, you're correct, it would become law after 10 days of inaction.

The Bill was sent to Trump's desk for signing on July 27th. He has 10 business days to sign the Bill, so the deadline for Trump to sign or veto is August 10. Congress will sort of recess on August 12, but not really. So, I don't think that Trump can "Pocket Veto" this Bill.

Senators are planning to continue procedural moves to prevent the Senate from formally adjourning for recess next month in order to prevent President Donald Trump from making recess appointments, when the chamber eventually adjourns through the Labor Day weekend.

Using the threat of a filibuster, Democrats plan to force the Senate to hold pro forma sessions — a practice both parties have carried out to block recess appointments from presidents of opposite party, Democratic and Republican aides say.www.cnn.com...

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Ok sure. You realize the vote was nearly unanimous right?
A veto on this will sink him.
He will come across as a Russian sympathizer.
The press would hang him.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 08:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

Russia's economy is in the toilet.
They are a very poor nation for its population and size.

Yet, it is said that Putin is he richest man in the world, worth around 200 billion.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 09:01 AM
link   

What is it you think congress is doing that they "technically" shouldn't be doing?

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Soooo... You are telling Trump to ignore a law? I thought you guys elected him because he doesn't pick and choose which laws to obey?

Yeah, he doesn't "govern" by EOs either (mostly because they can't seem to write one that can get past judicial review on the first, second or third try).

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 09:03 AM
link   
a reply to: markosity1973

All I can say is God help us all. America, you are drunk and disorderly. Go to home bed and call the rest of the world in the morning when you are feeling better.

Drunk, dirty and armed to the teeth... who tells a drunk man brandishing a gun to go home and go to bed?

Last time we tried that at the Pentagon was decades ago. Even if a hundred thousand demonstrators showed up the Media would paint them as commies, terrorists, and hippies, just like they did a half century ago...

"Flower Power"

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Line item veto are limited to budget concerns.
He can't line item veto. It's been turned down by the supreme court several times already under Reagan, Clinton and Bush.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 09:09 AM
link   

They're allowed to tell him no.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join