It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Trump Should Ignore Russian Sanctions Bill

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 05:09 AM
link   
First and foremost, it's an overreach for the legislative branch to try to force sanctions WITH the expectation that congress should have purview over additional or removal of said sanctions. This is what gives him the authority to ignore congress here. Yes, he'll sign the bill, but if the need arises he should simply ignore this bill. If congress wants to sue him over it, have at it, the SC will almost certainly side with the executive here. (Side note: Weird how congress never attempted to assert any power over Obama, even when he was guilty of overreach)

Second, these sanctions are a bad idea. While Russia is certainly not our best buddy, they are a nuclear power and have a decent military. This should command respect. Not only is their military decent, they've shown that they will be aggressive if they think they can or need to.

Third, these sanctions will decimate the already decimated Russian economy. In the last two years, the GDP of Russia has dropped 42.6%. A bad economy leads to civil unrest.

Fourth, Putin will not tolerate civil unrest. Protesters will be killed. Instability will increase and Putin will reach out for a lifeline, and where will he reach? China. There could be no worse alliance for the status of the USA. In fact, Putin has already been reaching out to china since the sanctions were reinstated three years ago.

Fifth, Russia will continue to insulate and build an economy resistant to the economic powers of the USA, leaving our options for dealing with them few and mostly requiring military actions. In pushing them so hard, we are hindering our own influence over them. Keep your friends close and your enemies closer is the common refrain, but we're doing the opposite.

We are building a North Korea out of Russia. We're pushing Russia into china's arms. Russia already has the worlds largest nuclear arsenal. We're only giving them more reasons to be hostile towards us. This is a terrible plan and why are we doing it? Because dems are mad they lost an election. Lord help us.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 05:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Dfairlite

Worth noting, is that TPTB are the ones pushing these sanctions. They pushed them on Obama too, in the form of the magnitsky act.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 05:19 AM
link   

It's a dangerous and very dirty game that the USA plays with Russia.

And you are correct, Putin has already been singing the praises of China and their neighbourly friendship. Russia's nuclear arsenal combined with China's sheer numbers of people in the military would be an unstoppable force even for the USA.

All I can say is God help us all. America, you are drunk and disorderly. Go to home bed and call the rest of the world in the morning when you are feeling better.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 05:31 AM
link   
I think if Trump wanted to fight this then he would need to make Congress override a veto.
It does appear to be an over reach by Congress, but there is no point agreeing with them by signing the bill and then complaining about it.

At a time when North Korea has effectively started another cold war, I wonder where the sense is in escalating and alienating Russia, who may very well be needed to bring NK back into line. As it stands the US has Russia, China and NK converging into a power that the US can't handle.

edit on 31/7/2017 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 05:33 AM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

I think he should pocket veto the damn thing. That way congress has to redo their votes.

Truth be told, we should be looking to ease sanctions at this point in time, just to maintain our control over Russia.
edit on 31-7-2017 by Dfairlite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 05:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dfairlite

I think he should pocket veto the damn thing. That way congress has to redo their votes.

That is exactly what he should do - and despite what the media are saying, there is no guarantee that a veto would be overridden.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 05:37 AM
link   

It makes them reconsider and he could still veto it a second time if they still passed it.

The other thing he could try (but might make for an odd court case) is to do a line item veto on the Russian sanctions. Technically he's not allowed to do that but technically congress isn't allowed to do what they're doing.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 05:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dfairlite

It makes them reconsider and he could still veto it a second time if they still passed it.

The other thing he could try (but might make for an odd court case) is to do a line item veto on the Russian sanctions. Technically he's not allowed to do that but technically congress isn't allowed to do what they're doing.

He is allowed to send the bill back with adjustments.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Yes, he could delay by making a series of adjustments.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 05:45 AM
link   
It' s going to be tough for Trump to veto this. If he does. the Dem and the MSM will have the "evidence" they need for their Russian "Collusion" narrative. If he does not. he will be the fall guy if this goes hot or semi hot.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 05:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: joemoe
It' s going to be tough for Trump to veto this. If he does. the Dem and the MSM will have the "evidence" they need for their Russian "Collusion" narrative. If he does not. he will be the fall guy if this goes hot or semi hot.

This is political posturing at it's very darkest.

There is zero care given to doing what is actually right here. It's all about a struggle to manipulate the POTUS while he tries to keep face.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 06:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: joemoe

Trump does not need to worry about how the MSM report it or how the opposition position it. His biggest mistake was trying to appease when he first got in office. Whether he signs it or not, the innuendo positioned as "evidence" will continue. People who think will understand that NOT signing it shows strength.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 06:15 AM
link   
If Trump was not try to block these sanctions it would be a interpreted by many as a admission of guilt regarding the questions having over his administration regarding Russia.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 06:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
If Trump was not try to block these sanctions it would be a interpreted by many as a admission of guilt regarding the questions having over his administration regarding Russia.

It would be interpreted by those who are seeking reasons to believe propaganda.
But in reality carries zero evidence of any connection.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 06:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth

I wouldn't prove it but it would be taken as a pretty solid indication that his administration has been compromised by the Russians.

Just like how if he pushes them through you lot will probably say that it proves his administration is not acting under Russian influence.

Neither really prove anything one way or the other however I think his actions on this will give a pretty clear indication about what might be going on. It could be that he passes it just because he is worried about the domestic fall out.

Time will tell.

Any idea when he has to make a decision?

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 06:26 AM
link   

I wouldn't prove it but it would be taken as a pretty solid indication that his administration has been compromised by the Russians.

Just like how if he pushes them through you lot will probably say that it proves his administration is not acting under Russian influence.

Neither really prove anything one way or the other however I think his actions on this will give a pretty clear indication about what might be going on. It could be that he passes it just because he is worried about the domestic fall out.

Time will tell.

Why would it be a 'pretty solid indication'?
I believe he has 10 days to respond from the date the bill lands on his desk. I think it passed the Senate on Friday.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Time will tell.

one of the big accusations going around is that before the campaign members of the Trump team had discussed sanctions with the Russians. Trumps actions then on this could say a lot about this.

Like I said, lets just see what happens and what is said, time will tell.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Time will tell.

one of the big accusations going around is that before the campaign members of the Trump team had discussed sanctions with the Russians. Trumps actions then on this could say a lot about this.

Like I said, lets just see what happens and what is said, time will tell.

I would expect them to be talking about sanctions to Russia.
So the big connection would be - the incoming administration was talking about sanctions and then decided not to impose sanctions.

There seems to be some confusion amongst those that don't like Trump on what he was elected to do... almost as if the role of the President has some how changed because some didn't vote for the candidate.
If he is currently dealing with Russia and using sanctions as a bargaining chip that would be good. If his team opened up discussions during the transition, also good.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 06:47 AM
link   

But Russia!!!

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 06:58 AM
link   

I want to believe... that Spartacus is alive.

#AgentCovfefe
#RomanRussians

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join