It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It took DEF CON hackers minutes to pwn these US voting machines

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2017 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Looks like some hackers at a convention in Las Vegas got into some voting machines easy as pie.

Big name machines were brought to their knees at the hands of these hackers.

Oh well.

I wonder if any of the tips came from ..........

RUSSIANS !!

It took DEF CON hackers minutes to pwn these US voting machines

DEF CON After the debacle of the 2000 presidential election count, the US invested heavily in electronic voting systems – but not, it seems, the security to protect them.

This year at the DEF CON hacking conference in Las Vegas, 30 computer-powered ballot boxes used in American elections were set up in a simulated national White House race – and hackers got to work physically breaking the gear open to find out what was hidden inside.

In less than 90 minutes, the first cracks in the systems' defenses started appearing, revealing an embarrassing low level of security. Then one was hacked wirelessly.

“Without question, our voting systems are weak and susceptible. Thanks to the contributions of the hacker community today, we've uncovered even more about exactly how,” said Jake Braun, who sold DEF CON founder Jeff Moss on the idea earlier this year.

posted on Jul, 30 2017 @ 09:39 PM
link   
our officials are clueless

posted on Jul, 30 2017 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Did not know we ever had wi-fi capable voting machines... I wonder what idiot thought that was a good idea.

I was under the impression none were supposed to be wi-fi capable to help mitigate hacking risk.

posted on Jul, 30 2017 @ 09:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
our officials are clueless

I don't think so.

I think they know exactly what they are doing.

It is the average American citizen that is clueless.

posted on Jul, 30 2017 @ 09:53 PM
link   
My youngest daughter was going to go to that conference but couldn't because my granddaughter, her neice, got married this Saturday. She had to cancel her reservations. It was a good wedding, way too much food.

posted on Jul, 30 2017 @ 09:55 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

The machines – from Diebolds to Sequoia and Winvote equipment – were bought on eBay or from government auctions

You HAVE to be kidding me!

The US government are selling these things to hackers (to anyone)?

What the bloody hell?!
What .. just what ...why..but ...

posted on Jul, 30 2017 @ 09:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
Did not know we ever had wi-fi capable voting machines... I wonder what idiot thought that was a good idea.

I was under the impression none were supposed to be wi-fi capable to help mitigate hacking risk.

Someone was paid off to build that all in these machines. Probably NSA affiliated.

posted on Jul, 30 2017 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Nothing like Automating Electronic Fraud...

posted on Jul, 30 2017 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Which is perfectly ok. But in real life , they ARE NOT connected to the outside world. Or , each other as a matter of fact.

posted on Jul, 30 2017 @ 10:34 PM
link   
all that article does it spread unnecessary fear.....

but, that is prolly the point

posted on Jul, 30 2017 @ 10:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
Which is perfectly ok. But in real life , they ARE NOT connected to the outside world. Or , each other as a matter of fact.

thats what I thought but, i woke up after just a couple hours sleep and didnt want to trust an un-caffeinated and tired brain.

Aren't they only connected to the machine that tabulates the votes and that one is not supposed to be connected to anything either or something to that effect?

posted on Jul, 30 2017 @ 11:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

thats what I thought but, i woke up after just a couple hours sleep and didnt want to trust an un-caffeinated and tired brain.

Aren't they only connected to the machine that tabulates the votes and that one is not supposed to be connected to anything either or something to that effect?

As far as I know

posted on Jul, 30 2017 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Even if there was a wireless security flaw in the voting machines we've had multiple sources tell us there's absolutely no evidence the voting machines were hacked. The only thing they can say is that the DNC computers may have been hacked in order to release information which would hurt Hillary and influence people to vote for Trump, but we cannot know for sure until the DNC lets authorities look at the computers. And even if that did happen it wouldn't invalidate the results of the election because there was no collusion, even if Russia was behind the DNC leak you still need some evidence of collusion, which most likely doesn't exist because Russia doesn't need to be told which candidate is the best for the future of their country.

Jill Stein's credibility seems to be sinking fast as both the Obama administration and the Clinton campaign have released statements this morning indicating they've failed to uncover a single shred of election hacking evidence. The Obama administration confirmed their confidence in the election results via comments made to the New York Times saying that the election was "free and fair from a cybersecurity perspective" and that votes "accurately reflect the will of the American people."
---
The Obama administration said on Friday that despite Russian attempts to undermine the presidential election, it has concluded that the results “accurately reflect the will of the American people.”
---
The administration said it remained “confident in the overall integrity of electoral infrastructure, a confidence that was borne out.” It added: “As a result, we believe our elections were free and fair from a cybersecurity perspective.”

Even Obama Slams Stein's Recounts: The Results "Accurately Reflect The Will Of The American People"

posted on Jul, 30 2017 @ 11:55 PM
link   

There's an entire documentary called "Hacking Democracy" you can find it on youtube likely lol
.... They did it in 2006 and shown there was extra code added on cards that allowed them to do anything and change votes in a perfectly undetectable way...

The officials are pretty much destroying the paper trail of votes and throwing them in the garbage even if its illegal, they caught the officials on tape and checked down dumpsters to find the paper trail which was illegal to get rid of in first place...

If you've never seen it, go check it now you will be in awe...

edit on 30-7-2017 by _R4t_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Probably the same "profit over common sense" idiot camp that wants to chip everybody.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 01:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Looks like some hackers at a convention in Las Vegas got into some voting machines easy as pie.

Big name machines were brought to their knees at the hands of these hackers.

Oh well.

I wonder if any of the tips came from ..........

The hanging chad seems so good these days....

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 03:50 AM
link   

Well, nothing new here ... unfortunately

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 04:46 AM
link   
These machines were decommissioned there is 3 companies that handle voting machines in the US. To access them which you need to do in person is restricted. You might be able to get a couple but to do enough to make a difference is very unlikely.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Who cares? At this point voting is pointless until we get term limits on Congress.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Our voting machines have been easily hackable, shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. I think I discovered it via a documentary...what 8 years ago?

hacking democracy

new topics

top topics

join