It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What The Hell Happened To Our Politicians.. They Are Not FOR THE PEOPLE Any Longer.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2017 @ 09:29 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

Yep. Just like big labels do with music. If a song doesn't get the response they like, they shove it down our throats until we like it, unless the song flops completely.

It's all about exposure and making it look like your solution is the only viable option.

link   
What happened?

We did this to ourselves. We, the people.

The very people who are complaining that the people we elected don't serve our interests, because they are at the beck and call of "big money (corporations and lobbyist)" groups.

But we're the ones who have made politics all about money.

We're the ones who are too busy, or bored, or just plain lazy to read and study the issues and candidates to make informed choices. We prefer flashy campaigns and bombastic "celebrities" to sober, well-thought, well defined plans because they're more in tune with the "common man".

So candidates turn to sources of money to fund their expensive campaigns.

And become beholden to their financial backers instead of their voting constituents. Now a large part of every elected official's day consists of raising money for the next campaign.

And term limits are NOT the answer because even if a politician isn't raising money for his/her own re-election, they are expected to raise funds for their party.

Term limits would just insure that an elected official would have less time to do the fund raising the party would require.

If you want a more representative government, make it possible for people who are not wealthy to run for, and be elected to office, without having to "sell their souls" big money interests before or after being elected.

link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: carewemust

I don't think you understand the priorities of politicians.

1. Get elected

2. Get re-elected

3. Build a library

We the people are not in their little plans yet we still elect them...

That might be a good argument for TERM LIMITS, since Americans don't seem to know how to elect Congressional leaders who will do what they campaign on.

But then again, if most of them are like that, what good would term-limits do?

posted on Jul, 30 2017 @ 09:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: incoserv
Yeah, what seeker1963 said.

And they've been like that for pretty much the whole history of the world. They're just not pretending these days as much as they used to.

Good point. With the advent of instant mass communications via social media, politicians can't "hide" like they used to. So, they use their personal salesmanship during the campaign, then give us "the bird" after we elect them. No need to waste time and energy hiding their true makeup.

posted on Jul, 30 2017 @ 09:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: DJMSN
Perhaps you can enlighten me as to when exactly a politician ever did anything good for the people or for the good of our Country. For the life of me I can only recall moments when it appeared that one of my elected officials was actually doing something good but later discover that it was really good for him or her and therefore the only reason it was ever done in the first place and only coincidental that it was good for the people or for the country, rarely ever both and the perfect Trifecta of good for politician, good for people, and good for country the most rare ever. I will be waiting for an answer but not much hope.

America grew to be the greatest country on Earth because...Why? I believe that we had leaders of high-caliber, and citizens who were inspired by those leaders to give our best efforts, with an "anything is possible" positive attitude.

Maybe your experience was different, DJMSN.

posted on Jul, 30 2017 @ 09:53 PM
link   

I fully understand how expensive a campaign is, mOjOm. What I was questioning is HOW does all that corporate money translate into Joe/Jane Doe believing your "pitch" and voting for you? Most politicians have a "vote history" that is easily accessible these days. No need to watch commercials. I think most Americans understand that they're just sales pitches..don't they?

posted on Jul, 30 2017 @ 09:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: SpeakerofTruth
Any longer? Lmao. Where have you been? I am sorry, but you act like politicians not doing what's best for the country is some new trend... Seriously, OP, where have you been?

I'm speaking of CONGRESS mostly. I've never followed local politics where I've lived.

So, I assume that you don't waste your time by voting for any of them. Is that correct, SpeakerOfTruth?

posted on Jul, 30 2017 @ 09:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: gpols

Yep. Just like big labels do with music. If a song doesn't get the response they like, they shove it down our throats until we like it, unless the song flops completely.

It's all about exposure and making it look like your solution is the only viable option.

I suppose that's why America is so pleased with how President Trump is resolutely attempting to implement his campaign promises, one-by-one. According to the responses I'm seeing in this thread, he is very rare indeed.

posted on Jul, 30 2017 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Well, you can't exactly vote for someone if you've never heard of them before can you.

When money also controls who's even on the list to choose from in the first place and that's all you have to vote for that pretty much locks it up.

Probably the reason why those mega corps also donate to both parties. When they own all the possible choices who you vote for doesn't really matter much. You're really just voting for who's face you get to look at that will be lying to you for the next few years. But it doesn't change who they're serving.

posted on Jul, 30 2017 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Not all of the politicians are like that. Some are more interested with following party lines than in who they represent. But half of them are good people, without their party they will get nothing for the people they represent sometimes, making deals with the devil is politics.

posted on Jul, 30 2017 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Bhadhidar

In other words, Americans are getting what we deserve, because we are the ones who are in the drivers seat? That makes sense.

But I disagree that wealthy people make poor politicians. It would seem to be the opposite, since the current (wealthy) President is not likely to be beholden to bribes from special-interest lobbies.

posted on Jul, 30 2017 @ 10:06 PM
link   

That's true when a newly-minted politician throws his/her hat in the ring. The current governor of my state Illinois is an example. Businessman Bruce Rauner spent many millions of his own dollars to let state residents know who he was. It worked.

posted on Jul, 30 2017 @ 10:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Not all of the politicians are like that. Some are more interested with following party lines than in who they represent. But half of them are good people, without their party they will get nothing for the people they represent sometimes, making deals with the devil is politics.

Very true. I suppose when you have slim majorities, just a few "bad apples" in that majority can royally screw the people.

I wonder which party in Congress has the most "bad apples"?

posted on Jul, 30 2017 @ 10:10 PM
link   

But I disagree that wealthy people make poor politicians. It would seem to be the opposite, since the current (wealthy) President is not likely to be beholden to bribes from special-interest lobbies.

I'm confused by this statement, are you saying you think trump represents the people because he has is own money and is less likely to be swayed by a lobbying group ?

posted on Jul, 30 2017 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Right now, the Democrats are more desperate which makes them do things that they should not be doing. I can't understand why congress cannot get a decent policy for healthcare in place, I thought Obamacare was going to be better than nothing, but after learning how it messed things up I now think nothing was a better choice. I know some people who sell health insurance and they think things have got all messed up with Obamacare. Too expensive of a total cost, Obamacare was created to benefit the medical and Pharma company interests.

posted on Jul, 30 2017 @ 10:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

They knew repeal would take the subsidies but do NOTHING to lower pices..

They are stuck in a trap they created:..

The free market can't be trusted to deal with healthcare because it is inherently a losing proposition..

It can't be profitable and even remotely get the job done.. THE ONLY possible fix is single payer which is the opposite of what they have preached for decades

You sound like Maduro in Venezuela who is telling his people that the only possible fix for their problems now is to basically abolish their representative government and award all power to a small cabal of leftists who would then abolish all regional governors in favor of "communal governing councils."

You know ... abolishing all freedom within the system for the people is the only possible fix.

Yeah, that's totally like what Joshua said. Lol.

posted on Jul, 30 2017 @ 10:29 PM
link   
We lost our power from top to bottom when the Fed was created in 1913.

(..drops Mic...)

posted on Jul, 30 2017 @ 10:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
a reply to: Bhadhidar

The current holder of the office of President is an autocrat, as are most successful corporate CEO's.

He did not even work his way up through the corporation he ran, and so he is particularly uniformed about the needs and difficulties those less wealthy face. He's never been poor, never been under-served by his government, never had to stand in an unemployment line, hoping for, but likely not getting, a job that pays only a fraction of what his old job paid.

No, built a company based on a million dollar "loan" (an amount most Americans will never see after a lifetime of hard work) from his father.

When you start on top, you seldom learn about the bottom.

He built his "empire" by plying deals with other wealthy people looking to become even more wealthy. When you're a millionaire, you don't become a billionaire by doing charity work.

And as far as the current office-holder not being susceptible to bribes and lobbyists;

Unless he intends to fund his "Great Plans" out of his own pocket, he's going to need the political and financial support of the very poeople he's taken great pains to deride and dismiss.

When you're an employee, you do as the boss says or you are out.

But a President is not the "boss" of Congress; they do not have to do as he says.

And as we've seen just recently, they won't.
edit on 30-7-2017 by Bhadhidar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2017 @ 11:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: EternalShadow
We lost our power from top to bottom when the Fed was created in 1913.

(..drops Mic...)

Now the Kalergi plan is in full effect?

posted on Jul, 30 2017 @ 11:18 PM
link   
they never were for the people they were just better at hiding their treachery, now they just don`t care to try and hide it because they know people are dumb and will still vote for them.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join