It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stop taking Politics so Seriously.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 10:58 AM
link   
The other day during another thread something became very clear to me, now this is something I have always known but the other day it felt like it punched me over the head.

We are all taking this stuff way to seriously.

Another member actually told me the other day that the reason for posting was because he was “defending his country”, well no all we are defending on ATS really is our own points of view and I think the entire charade is being taken way to seriously. You see the problem I think is that at times we become so self obsessed with our own points of view that at times it can feel like its something as serious as defending the nation when really its not, I think that when we forget that, thats when the ugliness of ATS comes out.

I think we all need to chill out.

People get very passionate about their beliefs particularly when it comes to politics, however I think that somewhere along the line quite a lot of us have started to think that this all matters. Like we keyboard warriors on ATS are achieving something, well we’re not. All we actually seem to be doing recently is pissing each other off.

The reason for this I think is because a lot of people on both sides of the political divide have stopped using proper arguments. This takes many forms, the most popular one seems to be this utterly stupid argument that because your views are different to mine then you must be a near brain dead moron. Basically if you don't have the same political views as I have ,then you must be stupid because really who could believe anything else?…. The idea that someone could be just as well informed but reach a different view is ignored.

Most of the time people who have a different view from our own are actually just as knowledgeable as the rest of us in my experience. Sometimes they might even be more knowledgeable and that is why they disagree with our views so strongly. I see opposing views then as a opportunity to learn more. However that has been lost on ATS recently because of how simplistic the arguments have gotten.

Another stupid argument is that which appeals to emotion, this nonsense of you are too emotional about this subject to have a reasonable view on it. What utter horse Sh!t is that, I get pretty darn emotional about child killers yet I can still hold the reasonable view that they are all evil scum. Anyone who says they don't get just get a little bit emotional about political debate is either a alien or a liar, we all want to feel like our views are of value because that makes us feel valued, emotional is a intrinsic part of debate in my view.

Yet it is not the most important part, no the most important part should be the facts. This is now almost like a singularity were everyone on ATS have lost their collective minds and just went nuts. People are taking their politics so seriously now that its not so much a confirmation bias but just blindness. This is one both sides again, facts are not pretty much ignored, its like we have forgotten how important actual facts are. Any time you see a little factoid you don't like, such as Trump won the electoral collage vote, or all US intelligence agencies say Russia hacked the DNC, its just dismissed as fake news.

Ignorant!

Thats a word people like to use a lot around these parts isn't it, I use it myself quite a bit, others like to call me ignorant all the time. What is the point though in calling someone ignorant but not telling them why they are being ignorant, not showing them the error of their ways.

Meh….

I guess what I am trying to see that political debate now on ATS is pointless, its just a series of trolling, insults with a smattering of hypocrisy and ignoring facts to suit preconceived political views. We are all guilty of this on both sides of the “is trump a political genius or is Trump satan incarnate?” Debate.

So if thats the case we should really just stop taking this all so seriously.

Ohhh and please do not think that irony of my posting this is lost on me.
edit on 29-7-2017 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: title change, originally read "stop take politics so seriously"

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Nice rant, good points. So will you be the first to pledge to take your own advice?

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: whywhynot
Nice rant, good points. So will you be the first to pledge to take your own advice?

Yup.

dont get me wrong I am still going to post and post what I have been posting but I don't think I will be taking any of it as serious as perhaps I have been.

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Good for you!

I as well recently had the same realization and therefore make the similar pledge.

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I miss the days when speaking of politics and religion was taboo. Both are usually off my agenda of conversations, online and off. People use social media as a source of validation to their own experience of reality and the rise of political correctness has turned many into rabid dogs defending anything they find passion in. No account for a difference in opinion at all. No mutual respect to be found. All people want to see / hear is their opinion coming out of your mouth and nothing less. It's intolerable to try to discuss anything with most people beyond weather,and local happenings. Easier to find common ground and avoid unpleasant confrontation and future avoidance.

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 11:14 AM
link   

I have never taken myself seriously.

Welcome to the party, you're starting a little late.

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 11:14 AM
link   

It's the other way around. If ATSliens would stop being so damnd emotional we could actually have quite a few serious debates regarding political topics.

See? Fixed that for you.

Like we keyboard warriors on ATS are achieving something, well we’re not.

Well. Me? I'm some kind of involuntary muse for political satirists, you wont believe it so I wont go into details. Just know that many readers will read your stuff and think about it.

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Did you reach a stark realization that has forced you to take a lighter approach in order to save your sanity?

edit on 29-7-2017 by knowledgehunter0986 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986

Did you reach a stark realization that has forced you to take a lighter approach in order to save your sanity?

Not really that so much as I was just reflecting the other night on the futility of posting on ATS as if it matters, from realising that I realised that taking any of this particularly seriously is pretty pointless and I might as well also accept that the other side is pretty darn closed minded so there is no point in getting frustrated over that.

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I agree...

It used to be only an election season fight.

Now it's an never ending nightmare.

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 11:29 AM
link   

So now the other side is just closed minded?

Mirror mirror on the wall...

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Thats the biggest diffrence I have noticed about the USA and UK.

Us Brits will have a good argument but we are all buddies at the end and can laugh even out our own politics.

USA everything is life or death and so bloody serouis. Even joke about the orange good emperor and you get flammed or T&C reported for trolling.

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

So now the other side is just closed minded?

Pretty much.

I don't think there are many people whose minds are truly open on ATS anymore, I include myself in that.

It must be just as frustrating for you trying to have a opening and meaningful debate with me as it is for you.

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: InsaneIthorian
Thats the biggest diffrence I have noticed about the USA and UK.

Us Brits will have a good argument but we are all buddies at the end and can laugh even out our own politics.

USA everything is life or death and so bloody serouis. Even joke about the orange good emperor and you get flammed or T&C reported for trolling.

I have to say I agree with this for the most part.

I think that there is a very different culture towards things that mean debates between American and British members don't always flow as they should.

Americans on ATS at times through around the word "liberal" like its a insult yet to us Brits its really not that much of a insult.

There are other examples as well, I think if we all took more time to see things form the perspective of others then things would go a little more smoothly.

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 11:37 AM
link   

That is why I went on a rant yesterday. I am no longer reasoning with the unreasonable. If I see a political thread and I have something to contribute, I will post a link and give my opinion in a very mild manor. As I posted yesterday, I no longer use the STOP button. I have not used it in about a week or so. People complained, I stopped. I will share links, but I am not going to even acknowledge the trolls who, will just bash me, for what? Being INFORMED! Its up to them to remain, in the dark, and deny what is right there for all of them to see.

Now when I see something I know is ridiculous, I am just going to laugh to myself and perhaps if its really bad facepalm. That would be a great button for ATS. Face Palm!
edit on 29-7-2017 by kurthall because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Rarely do I ever let my frustrations get to me, it may appear that way to you, but that's just my passionate nature.

Well atleast you can admit you're close minded.

Having said that, you should probably only speak for yourself.

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986

Rarely do I ever let my frustrations get to me, it may appear that way to you, but that's just my passionate nature.

Well atleast you can admit you're close minded.

Having said that, you should probably only speak for yourself.

It is rampant throughout all political threads, you often do come across as being frustrated or emotional in your posts.

You are also very closed minded at times, you might not recognise this in yourself but when your first response to a thread is "zzzzZZZZzzz" rather than discussing the topic that only comes across as closed minded.

However this thread is not really about you.

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Sorry I didn't mean to fall asleep in your thread, I couldn't help it.

And of course coming from somebody that is notorious for projecting with their emotions that you would come to those conclusions.

You want a great example of closed minded? Look at kurtys post above.

Don't worry, I'll leave you guys to your safe spaces.

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 11:50 AM
link   
When their decisions don't effect my life, I'll think about taking politics less seriously. But it does, so I do.

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

Exactly the kind of posts I don't take seriously.....

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join