It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Military service a must?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Odium
You should never ask your soldiers to do that, which you yourself won't do and have not done.

I completely agree. From the right side of the house, I will say this, at least JFK and Al Gore actually felt the field of battel - voluntarily.

YOu can't say that for Clinton or Bush Jr. (Tho you can about Sr.)

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 07:11 AM
link   
I myself think people need to lead from the front. I never have under-stood how people can say that someone who has no "field" experience can be placed in charge of an Armed Force. That "field" experience allows the men to look up to you and respect you because they know you have done the same things and the odd few even still have the guts to go into battle with their units.

Those are real people and real soldiers, who do not sit behind a desk and sign forms all day.

To me it boils down to "How can you ask someone to kill someone, unless you've had to do it yourself"?

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 07:42 AM
link   
GP,

Originally posted by GradyPhilpottBy the way, we have a great man as President

I thought GWB was still Pres of the US

and no one who can even touch him ran.

Both men he ran against were better than him.

GW has comported himself during these difficult times with near flawless equanimity

It is easy to be calm when you are GWB. Why would he not be calm? There is no stress in his life.

History will judge him

Oh it will judge him, and not in the way you hope.

Cheers

BHR

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by BillHicksRules

GW has comported himself during these difficult times with near flawless equanimity

It is easy to be calm when you are GWB. Why would he not be calm? There is no stress in his life.

wen u are the President, u no doubt have stress, after all u look at Bush before he became president and after and u see him looking older and his hair getting grayer. the executive power may be awesome but wen u lead the American people the responsibility is a heavy burden on yer shoulders.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 12:48 PM
link   

I think that the President shouldn't be "Commander and Chief" of the armed forces, if I remember correctly that is the title. He should be elected to deal with legal issues and from the 4 Star Generals a Military leader should be elected by the people. Someone who under-stands how the military fully works and is able to introduce War Bills to Congress.

Odium

You're British. You, obviously, don't understand the US Constitution. You're welcomed to your opinion, but you're just blowing hot air, because your opinions are based on opinion alone, without any basis in fact.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
Odium

You're British. You, obviously, don't understand the US Constitution. You're welcomed to your opinion, but you're just blowing hot air, because your opinions are based on opinion alone, without any basis in fact.

Really?

I think you'll find the American courts can hold something known as "Persuasive precedent" (due to the fact 49 states use the Common Law system) over the British courts and vice versa. So in fact, I have to understand the ratio decidendi and obiter dicta of American legal Judgements which take place in the Supreme Court, which of course does what? Well you see it is meant to interpret and decide questions of federal law, including the Constitution of the United States.

Couple that with the fact I have a C in American History (at College level) and primarily dealing with Civil Rights Issues from 1870 through to 1960, I probably have a better understanding of the American Constitution and Bill of Rights than most of the Citizens of America do and the fact I have been offered a place at University in America to study law, if I so desire such a thing.

Oh yeah and the fact my Grandparents on my Mothers side happen to be Native Americans and if I qualify at my expected level I will be able to practice law in America. However, I was stating my viewpoint not attempting to interpret the legal standing of the issue. Which I can do if you so desire? But I never knew if that was the point of the thread.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Couple that with the fact I have a C in American History (at College level) and primarily dealing with Civil Rights Issues from 1870 through to 1960, I probably have a better understanding of the American Constitution and Bill of Rights than most of the Citizens of America do and the fact I have been offered a place at University in America to study law, if I so desire such a thing.

Oh yeah and the fact my Grandparents on my Mothers side happen to be Native Americans and if I qualify at my expected level I will be able to practice law in America. However, I was stating my viewpoint not attempting to interpret the legal standing of the issue. Which I can do if you so desire? But I never knew if that was the point of the thread.

So, you're just trying to live up to your screen name. My ancestors are British, but I don't often opine regarding British internal affairs.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
So, you're just trying to live up to your screen name. My ancestors are British, but I don't often opine regarding British internal affairs.

Why not? If you know something about British Politics you might as well post it or I guess we could just keep British people in one section and American people in the other so we don't mix, as I am sure none of us understand Internal Politics of another nation.

Also Odium has many meanings, more than people will find in a modern dictionary so keep on assuming things. :-)

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy

wen u are the President, u no doubt have stress ..... the executive power may be awesome but wen u lead the American people the responsibility is a heavy burden on yer shoulders.

I am sure this has been the case in past administrations but I do not think it is in this one.

Cheers

BHR

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I believe a president who has military experience would be much more naturally informed and aware regarding the deployment of troops and their missions. Having been through it themselves might also give them an added affection/respect for those serving and of those who had. They also have insight into the military that their civilian counterparts could not comprehend.

As someone who went through the Army, I can tell ya, until you're there, you can't even imagine it. When you get out, nothing is the same.

One more point, I think our troops have much more respect for their commnder-in-chief if they served. I was proud of the fact that my commander-in-chief (Bush Sr.) had been the youngest combat pilot serving in the Pacific theater (at one time) during WW2. Made me feel like he knew what he was doing. And I trusted my command completely. Execution of the Gulf War proved me right.

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I do not believe it is a must, but it is helpful. Bill Clinton didn't serve in the military but he was a great Commander-and-Chief.

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Godzilla1985
I do not believe it is a must, but it is helpful. Bill Clinton didn't serve in the military but he was a great Commander-and-Chief [sic].

Is this the Bill Clinton of whom you speak?

[edit on 2005/7/7 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Godzilla1985
I do not believe it is a must, but it is helpful. Bill Clinton didn't serve in the military but he was a great Commander-and-Chief.

Do count the ways.

My take from the inside was that he SUKKED.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join