It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conference teaches K-12 educators how to combat ‘whiteness in schools’

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 02:47 PM
link   
It's only a matter of time before grades are distributed evenly among all students and privilege points will decide your final marks.

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Konduit
Just claim your a minority like pocahontas, even if your white as day they can't question it for discrimination. That's how outrageous PC culture has become.

Wouldn't that be like Stolen Valor?

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

I know this. You know this. We have no culture we can claim because to do so would be racist. There is no "white" culture, but there is when it's convenient for the victim classes to want to label something they don't like as a part of the white imperialist structure. Then they can provide a lazy excuse for it to be torn down.

That's all it is, but no one stops to examine it.

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Very much like stolen valor.

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 03:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Very much like stolen valor.

At the same time, as nasty as some things are getting are we nearing a time when we are looking at it as a matter of self defense or survival?

I admit that we enrolled our kid as white/Native American because he's 1/16 through his father and according to US Census that makes him still technically mixed race. Under more sane times, we would have called it silly and not even bothered to raise the multi-ethnic flag. He looks white and since my husband was adopted, he might as well be raised white.

But if current trends continue, it may be all that stands between him and serious discrimination and even then because of his skin color, it still might not save him.

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko
The racial tapestry is changing.

At the same time our population is going gray, we’re also becoming multi-colored. In 1960, the population of the United States was 85% white; by 2060, it will be only 43% white. We were once a black and white country. Now, we’re a rainbow. Our intricate new racial tapestry is being woven by the more than 40 million immigrants who have arrived since 1965, about half of them Hispanics and nearly three-in-ten Asians. Because these tranformations happen tick by tock, without anyone announcing them with a drum roll or press conference, they are sometimes hard to perceive.

I hope that the mindset changes with it.
The New Us

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 04:23 PM
link   
You realize the only reason we haven't been exterminated yet is because we still have enough numbers and power in our own nations.

There is a growing sentiment that "if only the whites had never existed..." then all problems would be solved. Or, more accurately, there would never have been any problems to begin with. Every atrocity committed by non-whites does not exist for these people, or they are "still nothing compared to what white people did"... All nonwhite acheivements are lifted upon a pedestal, all white achievements were either stolen, plundered, created with slave labor, or was a direct result of white privilege...so, those really should have been other people's acheivements.

And after our numbers have dwindled and our seats of power relinquished, our guns grabbed, it will be open season.

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: 3n19m470

Who's this we?

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 04:37 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

It shouldn't matter. If the melting pot concept was working as intended, it wouldn't matter. But I would guess that like so much else that is quintessentially American, the melting pot is "racist" now.
edit on 29-7-2017 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 05:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: DrStevenBrule
a reply to: seasonal

So in a few decades when Whites are no longer the majority in the US, are we going to have conferences on how to combat "browness in schools"?

A few decades? Where you livin'? It's already here, bro.

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 05:13 PM
link   

The host/majority cultural influence prefers melting pots,

Everyone else prefers the 'salad bowl.'

Except now the salad resents the lettuce and wants it to feel guilty.

edit on 29-7-2017 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 05:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
Be a lot cooler if they worked on getting those reading, math, and science rankings up.

I think alot of you are mis-understanding this.

This IS an effort to getting those rankings up.

They have determined that our fall in the rankings is our schools systems inability to be able to communicate and take the right approach to teaching and the overall administration of an increasing minority population.

example.. the current system allows white kids to perform well on average.. but is biased towards white kids.

Therefore with the increasing % of populations not being white, the current system and approach isnt as effective.

Therefore we need to change the system so its universal and give white, black, hispanic, asian etc. kids an equal opportunity education.

Really simple

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Lucidparadox

Why make it universal?

If black kids really learn all that differently than white kids, then shouldn't this be a local issue as some schools and districts deal with far more black kids than white kids just like some schools deal with more Hispanic kids?

Instead of trying to impose a one-size-fits-all factory approach from the top down and wasting a lot of time, money, and effort, don't you think we would be better served to understand that every child is a *gasp* individual and not the sum of his or her demography and let the schools work on a local level to serve the kids they have as people and not demographic categories?

I understand that this necessarily offends the technocrats, but there it is.

Not only that, but you would think this would demand an approach that recognizes that all cultures would potentially be a problem. If a white-centric approach is bad for black kids, then a black-centric approach should be bad for white kids. And that puts a lie to this conference because they are only discussing why whiteness is a problem and not why being too overly saturated in a pedagogy aimed at any one ethnicity would be a problem.

And again ... there is the 500lb gorilla in the room - Asians. Why is no one concerned with them? They don't seem to have any issues with whiteness at all. In fact, they do better with it than whites do. So is whiteness really the demonic evil this conference is making it out to be?
edit on 29-7-2017 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 05:45 PM
link   

That reeks of segregation.

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 05:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

I was responding to the person who wrote above.

Either we tailor cultural approaches to kids of different cultures which does smack of segregation or we go back to simply teaching the subjects and stop with the persistent belief that kids of one color or another are incapable of learning because they are that color or ethnicity which IMO smacks of soft bigotry.

But why do you think it's wrong to allow a local school to find a way that works for them based on their kids, the needs of their kids, and the community they are working with? You know, be responsive to the needs of their students and parents rather than dictated to from bureaucrats miles and miles away who don't know squat about conditions on the ground?

Truth is that a rural school is different from an urban one is different from a suburban is different from one any of those same in different parts of the country even.

Do you think the school in a small Alaskan village has the same needs or challenges as the one in suburban Peoria has the same needs as the kids coming in from bordertown New Mexico?

Do you honestly think any of those schools could be run exactly the same or should be?

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 05:57 PM
link   

While I understand your point and agree with you this focuses on the integration and the multiculturalism in public schools which they are trying to address and solve the problem of teaching children from different backgrounds and cultures in classes. Low teacher to student ratio would be ideal but alas that is difficult in public schools. Private schools and homeschooling would be way better.

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 05:59 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal
They can all go die as far as I am concerned.

My white ass stands to be counted against them.

My hispanic ass stands as well.

One each cheek.

edit on 7 29 2017 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 06:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

If that's really what this conference was about, then that's what it would be called and not something that points a finger at one culture and one ethnicity as the "problem." I mean the conference had workshops on Deconstructing Racist Microaggressions for crying out loud. Does that sound like something that will help all kids learn?

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Lucidparadox

No, thats Bs.

All teachers do is bitch about pay, teach towards state tests for more funding and bitch about how dumb americans are....while not leaving kids behind

Teaching kids to read and count must be like rocket science. I dont have a teaching degree but somehow with the help of God and magic I can teach my kids.

Politics has no place in school except as an introduction and as a balanced subject to learn about.

Imposing this on our kids makes me want to treat these people like the devil himself.

Screw them. Like this is just going to go unanswered with no consequences because we are all so dumb.

Social engineering is gross statism. This is that.

Do your jobs and let people live their lives. Scum bag educators acting like they know whats best.

Go to the ghetto you bitches and dont go home at the end of the day.

Racism.

Pfft.

BS is more like it.

I hope you reap what you sow. That your kids are mobbed up one day and that your communities are torn inside out.

I hope the ghetto riots nation wide and burns your beautiful homes while you and your families run to your vacation houses to ride out the storm you created.

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 06:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

I was responding to the person who wrote above.

Either we tailor cultural approaches to kids of different cultures which does smack of segregation or we go back to simply teaching the subjects and stop with the persistent belief that kids of one color or another are incapable of learning because they are that color or ethnicity which IMO smacks of soft bigotry.

But why do you think it's wrong to allow a local school to find a way that works for them based on their kids, the needs of their kids, and the community they are working with? You know, be responsive to the needs of their students and parents rather than dictated to from bureaucrats miles and miles away who don't know squat about conditions on the ground?

Truth is that a rural school is different from an urban one is different from a suburban is different from one any of those same in different parts of the country even.

Do you think the school in a small Alaskan village has the same needs or challenges as the one in suburban Peoria has the same needs as the kids coming in from bordertown New Mexico?

Do you honestly think any of those schools could be run exactly the same or should be?

It isnt calling out "whites" as a problem, its calling out the SYSTEM catering to whites as the problem.

Id love for schools to be able to cater lesson plans to children with different tested learning styles. That would be ideal.

However what YOU are saying is segregation based on race.

We cant create a one size fits all lesson plan..

but we can create a system that is unbiased

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join