It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Tesla 3 is nearly ready for delivery...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 08:07 AM
link   
The Tesla 3 is about to be released to the public as we have seen, those following with interest.
www.cnet.com...

My Brother went to work for them in Nevada at the Fernley plant in order to secure one of the first builds.
What I have noticed from people who drive electric cars is the preoccupation and urgency to find a source of a recharge. their adapter bags full of various electrical plugs.

They seem almost oblivious to anything until they acquire the source. It reminds me of the behavior of opiate addicts who attempt to hoard their drug so as not run out, or short.

In this race for energy independence, have we created a quite unexpected demon ? Your Thoughts... experiences ?

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 08:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

You would need a hell of a commute to drain a model 3 if you just plug your car in every night.

As the world adapts to the tech we should have started using 30 years ago, charges will be like gas pumps.

Tesla through solar city is looking for a whole approach to transition to electric energy even creating a solar roof that can be cost comparable to an asphalt shingle roof.

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: luthier

Well I have a sales region stretching a few hundred miles in radius...plus I have only seen 2 charge points here in the more rural Midwest so for the flyover folks...this isnt yet a viable option.

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 08:32 AM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

If your a salesman with a daily commute of over 250 miles it's not for you yet.

However millions of people just go to work 10-30 miles away.

Right now it's a good second car for families or the average commuter.

edit on 29-7-2017 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Imagine the future.. everyone broken down by the side of the road with solar powered USB chargers..

Hey, if a tesla car is stolen, do we call it an Edison?

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: badw0lf

Lol,

Or a Marconi

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 08:52 AM
link   

I've talked to a couple of owners here on the west coast and they swear by them.

They also talk a lot about charging stations and actually network if new ones come up. I know of one couple that planned their vacation by the availability of charging stations.

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 08:57 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

People are funny...

Tesla had a good model for low production high cost as a first phase of production r and d.

But honestly the best impact would be marketing the city small commuters. They make a good second car for house holds that commute to the 9 to 5.

Buying one in nowhere Oregon wouldn't be something I think I would consider. The forests have pretty large animals.

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 09:02 AM
link   
The first Tesla car i saw i just fell in love with the looks , only other car i saw in the flesh that made me feel that way was a Maclaren supercar .

And if Musk can make them for 30k $ he will be onto a winner ,hell even my small town of 5-6000 has a electric charging station

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 09:07 AM
link   
I had noticed that while their 'bag of tricks' had several type plugs, the commonality was that they required a specific Amperage for charging. The problem then, a source of that amperage.

It will likely cause a race by independents to construct charging stations, that is, getting in on the ground floor as it were. For others it will amount to making space available in their existing business for these stations. It's assumed that there will be a network Nationwide.

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 09:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: stonerwilliam
The first Tesla car i saw i just fell in love with the looks , only other car i saw in the flesh that made me feel that way was a Maclaren supercar .

And if Musk can make them for 30k $ he will be onto a winner ,hell even my small town of 5-6000 has a electric charging station
As the link indicated, 35K was base price.... additional capacity came at an additional premium, upwards of 45K

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Tesla will not neglect stations.

todayeco.com...

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 09:21 AM
link   

This is the car that tax payers built?

Tesla honcho Elon Musk is not like Steve Jobs, Warren Buffett, Bill Gates, Oprah Winfrey, or even LeBron James, who made their billions through innovation in a free, fair market. Musk has made his wealth from the taxpayer (if not all, at least a lot of).
www.weeklystandard.com...

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 09:27 AM
link   

I know.

I can't see spending 90K for a car.

And living where I live, 4-wheel drive is a must for most of the year.

But as they get cheaper, I may think of buying, for a second car.

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 09:35 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Unfortunately that is how the auto industry works.

And no musk has risked quite a bit of his wealth which he began gathering with his first ideas millions.

I would love to find a company who can use the free market unfortunately it's like the illegal immigrant problem say in Texas.

A contractor uses illegals and a sub contracting format because all his competitors are cheating the system as well. So to operate cleanly is near impossible when your undercut by the cheaters.

His development of technology makes me less concerned though I would love a crackdown on lobby power all together.

For instance solar energy has had 8x less development support than fossil fuels from the feds during the r and d phase. It severely hampers the ability to compete fairly with your competition.

Should be a lottery, even across the board, or none at all.

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 09:55 AM
link   

I'm all for electric. What is the cost of this car with out the subsidies?

Musk is a master of getting $$$ from the taxpayers to fund this, he literally gets $ 1,000,000 every business day from tax payers.

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Sure he is in industries where that is normal so his competitors write articles like yours.

How much money did taxpayers pay to develop microchips?

Nuke power?

All the other autos....henry ford even got people to pave train tracks over.

How much would any car cost without the government's hand in developing?

It's hard to say. But musk is no different than any other.

Heck trumps father was twice prosecuted for profiteering.

It's the unfortunate nature of lobby power system.

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus

As the link indicated, 35K was base price.... additional capacity came at an additional premium, upwards of 45K

Here in the UK a new car average say ,nothing special Ford etc will set you back 25-30 k $ , My sisters Audi q3 came at 50k and gas is $ 10 a gallon .

Give it ten years and see how the electric car is going

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 11:02 AM
link   

I do love welfare for the rich and for corps like Tesla. How much does the taxpayer subsidize each new 3?

Electric cars are a much better idea than gasoline. Especially when we can get alt energy right, or get it off the hidden shelf.

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 11:05 AM
link   

How much the does the taxpayer subsidize the development of fracking?

You seem to not get it. Musk is doing exactly what everyone in the auto industry has done.

He had to sue the us government to even be allowed to compete for space x contracts.

The only way a person can come up with complicated technology production in the lobby market place is with subsidies.

It's an unfortunate truth.

Musk could compete just fine without subs in a fair playing field where nobody gets subsidies.

Of coarse it would just move slower in the case of r and d.

Even though a lot of tesla tech is open sourced.

<<   2  3 >>

join