It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Roommates Rats

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 07:54 AM
link   
The girls arrive in about in hour, they're around 12 months old already and I will post pictures as they do.
Their cage:

Is that okay? I'm so excited! Does one of you have experience with rats?
I've been told one is a dominant biter and the other shy and barely comes to her owner, so a few tips would be nice.

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 07:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

When I was a kid we had pet rats... and a dog.

The dog killed one of the rats when the cage door got left open.

Poor rats, they must have lived in sheer terror of the dog all the time.

Imagine living in a house that has Lions roaming around outside your window?
edit on 29-7-2017 by intrptr because: spelling

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 07:59 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

That's a truly horrible story.

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 08:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple
tips would be nice.

If you get bit ...

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 08:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

Whaaaat?

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 08:05 AM
link   

They're smart creatures. Put an extra locking latch on their cage. I have no experience with rats, but I had a hamster years ago, that could reach around and open his cage.

What are their names?

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 08:13 AM
link   
a reply to: snowspirit

That's what I am counting on, their carriers are already planned, they get on Monday a third new mate, because

all super hero background packs are three. Or Charlie's Angels.
In the hitchhikers guide the mice... rats are even smarter.
Joking aside I want to teach them tricks, the least is react to their names. I trained cats, dogs and horses how hard can it be? Smart with strong weakness for food. Maybe I try clicker with them.

Oh and Lucy, Lola and Lillith.

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Dontcha feel something in a 22-28oz. framing hammer to be the bludgeon of choice here?

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Thats pretty cool, animal trainers are special in their own right...definitely keep us posted on your progress

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Both my children had pet rats as well as many other animals. it took me a couple of months to get past my fear but I couldn't believe how smart and fun they were. We let them run around free after putting our cats and dogs away. They came when called and were very affectionate. They learned kinds of litte tricks. We loved them to death.

Unfortunately, they have short lives of around 4 years. I noticed them slowing down and took them to the vet who confirmed they are wonderful, smart and fun pets but with short lifespans.

When they passed we grieved terribly-they were much loved and missed.

We rescue cats and dogs now so we haven't considered rats again-but they are fabulous pets-please dont make them say in their cages too much-they love to run around-just close your bedroom door-mind even ran around my bed while I watched tv at night.

Best wishes.

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Decon. That's my advice.
Or a good strong spring trap.
Whap!.

Rats were never meant to be pets Willard.
They're vermin.

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 09:21 AM
link   

There ya go!

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 09:24 AM
link   

www.bing.com... ren+being+bitten+by+rats&simid=608024103518801406&selectedIndex=5&ajaxhist=0

Here's a cute photo I won't put here.

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Lola very sleepy.

Lillith already furnishing her house.

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Husband and I had a lot of pet rats in college. They are awesome little guys.

Biting is more of a genetic behavior. If you have one that bites, then she will bite. It has nothing to do with her dominance. Don't let her breed because she will pass that crap on to her kids.

We had one very awesome little girl, a golden curly coated Rex (means she sort of looked like a giant yellow hamster). We named her monkey. She was so bonded to us that she came when we called her name and she knew the command "no." She used to curl up and sleep on my lap like a little dog when I was doing homework. She loved to take rides shoulders, and for a long time when you stopped she would grab at your sleeve and we thought she was chewing on you shirt, but what she really wanted was for you to extend your arm so she could keep going!

Gopher was her cage mate. Goof was really shy, but when she came out of her shell, she was a licker. She would greet you with licks like a little dog. Goof was happiest when you created a little cave for her to hang out in, but she still liked spending time with you and being scratched behind the ears.

Then there was Sexy Rexy, the one nut wonder ... *sigh*. The first vet who fixed him missed that he was monorchid, so after we put him in with the girls, his other testicle dropped ... and boy was it effective! Rex was also a big cuddler, outgoing and liked spending time with his people.

None of them ever bit unless we were talking about the ladies defending their babies (post Sexy Rexy). But even regular dogs and cats can be defensive of their litters.

I would suggest that you get some type of shaving for your cage bottom. Avoid cedar because the fumes are strong for them, but you need something absorbant for the pee and poop. Rat urine is a lot less stinky than mouse, but they will quickly establish a latrine and start using it and the paper you have in there will be overwhelmed.

Also, if you can give them a box that will fit in there, they will love you for life. Not only will they gnaw on it, but they'll hide in it. Get some plain news print and other non-died paper in there that's torn up and they'll make themselves busy creating a nest in that box. Understand, anything plastic with edges will be gnawed on, including any cage edges they can access, so keep that in mind. Give them things they can chew on that are safe to be chewed on. They need it for their teeth so they have an impulse to do it.

You don't have to spend a bunch on it either - toilet paper tubes, etc. will work, but if you want to make them feel at home a cheap rawhide for a dog works.

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 10:02 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

They just moved in, they got their organic wood stuff on hold till they choose the toilette corner. And she is using this paper and shredded kleenex stripes to make her sleeping house more cosy already.

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 10:13 AM
link   

ha ha!!

Thanks for sharing, Peeps.

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 10:22 AM
link   

I am freaking out and they sleep! Great start...

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 10:27 AM
link   
You'll have to change their nest regularly too. They will pee on it, but hey, it keeps them busy having to constantly make new ones, so it's a win/win sort of.

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 10:51 AM
link   

I see Lillith is a black hooded rat like Gopher was.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join