It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When drives dont show back up in Windows 7

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I have a lot of Hard Disks. Some I keep unplugged so not to burn them out. I've had this annoying problem on and off over the years: Plug one in it shows up on the list at bootup but then Windows doesn't show it. No, not even in Computer Management.

I'm fairly certain if I had another Windows 7 machine here running I could plug it into it and it'd show right up. I been through this before where I plug it in the other and it shows up, and then plug it into my main machine and it then shows right up there again too. It'd a weird thing where sometimes one will do this and I'll have it aside for a while and then months or whatever later plug it in and there it is back on the windoze list, in file manager etc.

I tried reading some proper computer forums but they all addressed new drives not showing up.

Really not trying to go through a whole forums signup ordeal, while i really need this one to work ASAP like 2 weeks ago.

edit on 28-7-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 11:39 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

My best guess is that the drives need to be identified in the BIOS setup before starting Winders...

Many BIOS setups will also allow you to enable/disable drives as well during boot up.

edit on 28-7-2017 by madmac5150 because: My ducks made me do it

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 11:42 PM
link   
a reply to: madmac5150

If its on the POST list, wouldn't that be the same thing as BIOS "identifying" it?

When it's a drive that's been open on this OS install before, its most annoying this kind of BS.

I've seen this happen on Win7 OS installs that the disks were originally plugged in new on, to later pull this BS, to then later show up again.

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 11:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

If its on the POST list, wouldn't that be the same thing as BIOS "identifying" it?

When it's a drive that's been open on this OS install before, its most annoying this kind of BS.

I've seen this happen on Win7 OS installs that the disks were originally plugged in new on, to later pull this BS, to then later show up again.

Not necessarily... POST actions happen before the BIOS settings are initialized. The drive could show on POST, yet be disabled by the BIOS before loading Win7. Like I said before, this is just a best guess...

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Well I mean the controller list that shows all the drives, after POST, during bootup.

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Dirty discs and or/or dirty optical lasers. do you smoke?

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 11:54 PM
link   
a reply to: HappyFisherman

Hard Disks.

LOL I loathe optical disk tech plug those in for a day less than once a year for some years now.

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Well I hate to say you got a phantom bug, Move your stuff in safe mode and scrub it.

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 12:08 AM
link   
NVM - read my answer
edit on 7/29/17 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

Got any add-on disk controllers ?
If they show at POST they are definitely being installed by the UEFI/BIOS
Now , there is usually a separate listing in the UEFI/BIOS for enabling/disabling drives . They would probably be shown at POST as they still remain active on the controller . But most likely they would not be presented to the OS.
edit on 7/29/17 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Have you searched your BIOS for an enable hotswap toggle? Perhaps your hardware has trouble recognizing new/old drives.

www.newegg.com...

May be an option.

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 12:23 AM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Hmmm.... I actually have that device, although I havent plugged it in in forever.

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 12:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Well I mean the controller list that shows all the drives, after POST, during bootup.

Let me clarify, using my machine as an example.

I have 3 internal HDDs, they are designated as drive0, drive1 and drive2. Drive0 is a bootable drive with Win7, drive1 is bootable with a Linux OS, drive2 is shared between Win/Linux.

On boot up, after the POST I go to the BIOS settings. All 3 drives are identified on the BIOS page by manufacturer and model number... however, unless the drive has been designated as "enabled" in the BIOS setup, the computer will ignore it.

For instance, when using Win7 on mine, drive0 is enabled and drive1 is disabled. Even though that HDD (drive1) is identified on POST, Win7 will not recognize it as a usable drive. Should I decide to disable the shared drive (drive2) on bootup, it will likewise be invisible to the OS.

The drive will most certainly be identified by the BIOS, yet, unless the drive is enabled in the BIOS it's only useful as ballast.

One other possibility? Master/slave settings on the drive in question... I would double check the jumper settings on the drive. Most BIOS chips today will designate the drives automatically, however if a jumper is installed on the wrong pins it can really freak the BIOS out...

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 01:57 PM
link   

I had the same problem with a 64 GB exfat pendrive. It depends on what is stored on the drive. This seems to be a Windows 7 new function to disallow illegal copies fom spreading. If you can, just install XP as a secondary operating system, and try if it works.

top topics

join