It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Looked Left when Trump went Right. the Wall BEGINS

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Catscratch

Cool, the wall that the Mexicans will go under and over and Mexico wont pay for is going to be built, while MILLIONS will be uninsured....Cool! BTW, I live in LA and cant stand illegals, but this is an utter waste of money!!!

edit on 28-7-2017 by kurthall because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: grey580
a reply to: slider1982

Right... because they don't make and sell ladders in mexico.

Or can figure a way over the wall.

Ladders? Lol that's old school. Most illegals enter the country through entry check points either smuggled in or under some sort of VISA they let expire. You'll notice that a wall wouldn't stop either of those two things, even slightly.

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: luthier
a reply to: Blaine91555

About 25 percent use it

That's actually exactly my point. Even though it's legal and they can walk into a retail store and buy it, 1 out of 4 take the risk to get more for their money.

With hard drugs I'm betting you would see black market drugs making up more of the market than that. Addicts would not care about whether the source was legal or not, they would care more about price IMO. The cartels would still have a thriving business.

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

Our best defense on the border... legalize prostitution and drugs.

This.

If a large part of Mexico wasn't turned into a warzone by Americas drug habits people wouldn't be risking their lives to get here as much.

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555
a reply to: Kali74

Legalizing it won't stop the black market trade. Just look at the reality of legalized recreational weed in some States. The prices drive the users back to black market drugs, as they are cheaper.

I actually agree with legalizing those things, but I'm under no delusion it would stop the illegal trade. It won't.

It may not completely eliminate it but you cannot deny it would severely cut into that market. Your point about people going back to the black market in Colorado only happened because the legal pot industry was experiencing a supply shock. As the market stabilizes over the years and regulations are solidified the black market will become like the cigarette black market. It exists, but not to any real dangerous degree.
edit on 28-7-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Maybe you should read more instead of just guess.

The cartels are severely hurting from legal weed so they went to different things.

If employment is hard to get the number of people coming over is far less. They come over hidden in these huge numbers.

Your correct they will try and adapt. However it isn't a reason to not regulate drugs for the responsible people.

If a person buys pot they should know if it's hard liqueur or beer or full of pesticides.

The economic impact of the money from weed going to the state is also a factor, rather than solely the black market.

It can be put into rehab and prevention as well.
edit on 28-7-2017 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I agree it would help a lot, but the combination of legalization of those things with better border control would still be better overall. Not to mention it's just too damn easy for anyone who wants to, no matter their intentions, to move in and out of the US. This is also about terrorists.

It becomes legal you suddenly have the issue of drugs being smuggled out of the US, to countries where it is not.

edit on 7/28/2017 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 03:00 PM
link   
most of a wall(well mostly fence but still) has already been built with their blessing so i doubt congress will vote against completing what is left. it will pass i have no doubt about it, even if they hate trump.

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: luthier

You seem to have missed that I'm not opposed to legalization? I think both things are needed though.

Where do you get accurate data about the internal workings of drug cartels? Organized crime and those engaged in it will go with the flow. One source of revenue slows down, they fill the gap with another. It's the deep pockets of Americans they are after and I doubt they care what method they use to get at the money.

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 03:07 PM
link   

This is also about terrorists.

No it isn't. Our other border is bigger, FAR more porous, and has next to no security. Any terrorist wanting into our country could easily enter through Canada.

Also, as I stated earlier in the thread most illegals come into our country through entry check points like border gates, airports, seaports, etc. They are either smuggled in or come in under VISAs and let them expire. The ones who actually hop the border are a minority. Dealing with just them by building a silly wall just makes it look like you are paying lip service to the issue while ignoring other, larger elephants in the room.

It becomes legal you suddenly have the issue of drugs being smuggled out of the US, to countries where it is not.

Sounds like a good use for the DEA once we legalize drugs so those people won't have their entire careers turned into nothing.
edit on 28-7-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Ladders? Lol that's old school. Most illegals enter the country through entry check points either smuggled in or under some sort of VISA they let expire. You'll notice that a wall wouldn't stop either of those two things, even slightly.

The nexus of illegal immigration into the U.S. has shifted away from the southwest border and into the country’s air and sea ports, where more than 54 million visitors checked in last year — and nearly 630,000 of them didn’t go home, according to new numbers released Monday. Known as visa overstays, the visitors present a different challenge than the border crossers, and one that Homeland Security officials are still trying to figure out how to handle. “This report shows that we have a problem with visa overstays in the United States,” a senior administration official said in briefing reporters on the new numbers, vowing to step up enforcement to try to cut down on the violations.
Source
edit on 28-7-2017 by TacSite18 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: windword
a reply to: Catscratch

Doesn't this have to go to Congress now? Also, isn't that "wall money" already set aside for the current wall/fence repairs and upgrades, and not for building Trump's wall, per say?

Yes. This isn't a law yet. The Senate still needs to take it up and pass it.

They probably will, it's 1.2 billion earmarked mainly for parts of a wall that were already passed isn't it? Not new construction.

His supporters will call it a victory regardless, but like most things involving Trump it's sound and fury signifying nothing.

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Then something needs to be done about how easy it is for them to find other ways in and that should not be ignored. But you don't just forget about the border while fixing the other problems. They will use whatever holes they can find.

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Also, as I stated earlier in the thread most illegals come into our country through entry check points like border gates, airports, seaports, etc.

well there's your problem, using facts along with common sense and logic should not be used.
now put your maga cap back on and chant build that wall lock her drain the swamp, final warning.

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Peace and security are only possible from a position of strength, so a strong military is critical to survival. Only the fringe is opposed to a strong military and even many if not most on the Left are for a strong military. It would be suicidal to not be in that camp. It's irrational to be against that, no matter what side a person is on.

Do you know what I think we should do? Expand the military, use the Army Corps of Engineers to direct to project and use the new military recruits to build the wall first, and new highways second. Most of the money comes out of defense that way, it keeps our troops active, and it keeps a fighting force employed and in shape.

I think the wall is a massive boondogle, but this is one way in which I would support it.

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Then something needs to be done about how easy it is for them to find other ways in and that should not be ignored. But you don't just forget about the border while fixing the other problems. They will use whatever holes they can find.

I'd be A-OK with treating our national border like a state border and letting anyone come in and out of the country. The movement of people shouldn't be curtailed, but if troublemakers come with them then deal with THAT problem instead of punishing the regular folks who just want something better for them and their families too.

But I'm for nuanced solutions, not hammer solutions like a giant wall.

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: TacSite18

Thanks for the data support.

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 03:19 PM
link   

a reply to: Byrd

I get the arguments against the "Wall", but is a weaker military considering the state of the world reasonable when our enemies are ratcheting up their own?

Believing peace only comes through strength in a divided world is a very rational position in my mind.

Remember that there are multiple types of strength. Switzerland has little to no ability to project power, but they're stable because of a well armed population and a very fortified society. What Trump and the Pentagon are pushing for is power projection, they want the ability to simultaneously invade two countries. That way we can play the force card and invade someone while still having enough force projection ability to not weaken our foreign policy for however long the conflict takes.

That plan is something I oppose, it's offense not defense and creates an active incentive for us to declare war around the globe. Something that is a bad idea. Being secure at home requires a different type of investment, that no one wants to bother with.

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jubei42
You can bet that every dollar that gets spent on the mexican border is part of Trumps promise

His promise was to make Mexico pay for it.

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

I'd rather see the money from government recycled by farming it out to the private sector, creating jobs for civilians and helping construction contractors prosper. In particular small contractors for whom every day is a struggle for survival.

What you suggest would not be a bad thing though.

Another thought would be to give non-violent prisoners a way to earn an income and learn a trade.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join