It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate GOP Effort to Repeal Obamacare Fails - 'Skinny Repeal'

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 06:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Kettu

Lol! Well at least we dodged a bullet there. Republicans can't ruin health care JUST yet. A few still have a conscious left.

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 06:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

originally posted by: dragonridr

originally posted by: Kali74

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: Kettu

WASHINGTON — Obamacare stays. For now.

Senate Republicans failed to pass their pared-down Obamacare repeal bill on vote of 49-51 in a dramatic late night vote that caps a months-long process of trying to fulfill a seven-year promise to repeal the Affordable Care Act.

Three Republican senators, Susan Collins, John McCain and Lisa Murkowski, and all Democrats voted in opposition to the bill, dealing a stinging defeat to President Donald Trump, who made repeal of Obamacare a key promise of his 2016 campaign.

Cowards, all 3. Once again John McCain waves his RINO flag and while I certainly didn't vote for Murkowski, I find it utterly shameful that she is from my state. I really, really wish Joe Miller was holding that seat. The vote would have been very different and a lot more in line with the expectations of Conservatives Murkowski falsely claims to represent.

How do you think Trump is going to punish Alaskans for her vote?

Trump doesn't need to punish Alaskans. He can destroy her simply by using Twitter! roflmao

The only person he destroys in twitter is himself as it shows the levels of stupidity he can attain.

I live in PA where health insurance has increased by 120 percent since Democrat CARE. Don't really care if you are offended by Trumps tweets. Don't read them?

I live in PA and my health insurance hasn't increased that much. You lie. My work JUST had open enrollment and my insurance went up by about $15.

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Susan and Lisa are Demo plants, working hard and in overtime. We need to find a way to cut them, otherwise, their obstructionist behavior will continue to keep progress from moving forward.

However, the President is a genius, he is actively working on this, the American people see it and they also see the same obstructionist, this isn't going to be good for susan or lisa, their careers are done.
Mcain? what you expect people? Diagnosed with brain cancer and you all stoop to wish it well and kiss its feet.

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 06:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: fiverx313
it's kind of amazing... even with the presidency and control of the house and the senate, republicans still can't manage to accomplish what they've been whining about wanting to for forever now. too much time obstructing and naysaying and not enough practice actually having to produce anything, i guess.

...and maybe thats the point. The President, as of late, has been putting the spotlight on the houses. You can bet a few careers will be going silently into the night.

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 07:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Senate Republicans failed to pass their pared-down Obamacare repeal bill on vote of 49-51 in a dramatic late night vote that caps a months-long process of trying to fulfill a seven-year promise to repeal the Affordable Care Act.

Three Republican senators, Susan Collins, John McCain and Lisa Murkowski, and all Democrats voted in opposition to the bill, dealing a stinging defeat to President Donald Trump, who made repeal of Obamacare a key promise of his 2016 campaign.

Cowards, all 3. Once again John McCain waves his RINO flag and while I certainly didn't vote for Murkowski, I find it utterly shameful that she is from my state. I really, really wish Joe Miller was holding that seat. The vote would have been very different and a lot more in line with the expectations of Conservatives Murkowski falsely claims to represent.

Trump doesn't need to punish Alaskans. He can destroy her simply by using Twitter! roflmao

The only person he destroys in twitter is himself as it shows the levels of stupidity he can attain.

I live in PA where health insurance has increased by 120 percent since Democrat CARE. Don't really care if you are offended by Trumps tweets. Don't read them?

I live in PA and my health insurance hasn't increased that much. You lie. My work JUST had open enrollment and my insurance went up by about $15.

He doesn't lie! Dear lord, I live in PA and before Obamacare I had access to a PPO plan for $120 biweekly for my family. Now PPO coverage has tripled so my employer directed us to switch to a HDHP which started as a $35 biweekly with a $3000 deductible for family and now it's $60 a week with a $5500 deductible... it's insane!

They've also been pretty transparent in the effort to find affordable health care which became a huge struggle since Obummer care...

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 07:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Throes

It's more like circumstances are different for different people. People should stop pretending like their situation is everyone's situation. That is the lesson I tried to impart there.

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 07:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Arnie123

Kicking millions of people off of health insurance isn't "progress".

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 07:21 AM
link   
McCain really surprised me on this one:

In a statement after the vote, McCain said Congress “must now return to the correct way of legislating and send the bill back to committee, hold hearings, receive input from both sides of the aisle, heed the recommendations of the nation’s governors, and produce a bill that finally delivers affordable health care for the American people.”

link

Wow. I finally have respect for the man. Anyone who wants to end the partisan bickering and stubbornness in government has the A-ok in my book.
edit on 28-7-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Lol! Well at least we dodged a bullet there. Republicans can't ruin health care JUST yet. A few still have a conscious left.

Yeah, we really dodged a bullet. Now we're still saddled with a bill that makes a lot of Americans criminals for not buying policies that aren't offered where they live or that they can't afford.

I fail to see how health insurance could be any more ruined than the Democrats already did to it. But I guess if you don't live on one of the two coasts in this country you don't count.

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 07:23 AM
link   

You are ignoring the results that also said most of those Americans aren't going to be "kicked off." Instead, they will simply stop buying what they never wanted in the first place. That's different from being forced off plans they like and want to keep which is what actually happened when this mess was passed in the first place.

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 07:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Yeah, we really dodged a bullet. Now we're still saddled with a bill that makes a lot of Americans criminals for not buying policies that aren't offered where they live or that they can't afford.

You aren't getting "saddled" with anything. Obamacare is already in effect. You've been living under it for years now. Stop being so melodramatic; the ACA doesn't criminalize you for not buying insurance.

I fail to see how health insurance could be any more ruined than the Democrats already did to it. But I guess if you don't live on one of the two coasts in this country you don't count.

I fail to see how kicking 22 million people off of their health insurance (2 million more than who gained it under the ACA) is supposed to be an improvement. How about you explain that to me instead of blah blah blahing about how bad the ACA is? I never said the ACA was perfect. I'm all for improving it, but you are down right delusional if you think that any plan the Republicans were pushing through Congress over the last few weeks would have been an improvement over the current situation.

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 07:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

You are ignoring the results that also said most of those Americans aren't going to be "kicked off." Instead, they will simply stop buying what they never wanted in the first place. That's different from being forced off plans they like and want to keep which is what actually happened when this mess was passed in the first place.

I am not ignoring anything. You are just making # up. The CBO was very clear about how the Republican plans will result in 22 million less people having insurance. Since the ACA only added 20 million to the insurance roles that means that the net result would be worse than pre-ACA. That is simple math that you are trying to ignore.

Also, since most of the states that didn't opt into the medicaid expansion are red states, the states that would be hit hardest by health insurance losses would be the states that you just accused me of not caring about. All thanks to your beloved Republicans.

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 07:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Throes

the company I was working for was having these problems before obamacare was..
the premiums kept raising, and he kept having to downgrade to plans that cost more with higher deductibles and really offered less. the year that I left, we had a thousand or maybe two thousand, don't remember now, deductible..
when I first came on, the deductible and premiums were much less, I could keep my doctors, ect....
but at the end... it was crap..
and it seems that the insurance has just kept on with it's downward spiral, maybe obamacare really didn't have much to do with it???

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Except I know in at least Murkowski's case she was representing the will of the people of Alaska. Leading up to this vote there was a large grassroots effort in Alaska contacting the Senators and asking that they vote against repeal. So based off the data that Murkowski had she believed that her constituents wanted her to vote against repeal.

So why should we be deriding and attacking her because she actually did her job? Senators aren't voted in to vote along party lines. They are there as a representative of the people from their state. It's refreshing to see a Senator actually remember that fact instead of just voting the same way as the person sitting next to them.

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 07:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: AboveBoard

originally posted by: JinMI
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Is there documented proof to where life saving service was denied due to lack of insurance? Honest question.

There are multiple ways this happens. One is people don't get regular checkups and wait until issues become serious and possibly life threatening before seeking care if they don't have insurance.

The other way this happens is people need some kind of treatment that they are not qualified to pay for, such as cancer treatment or an organ transplant.

Finally, there is medications for chronic conditions. These can be more expensive than insurance and if you can't pay out of pocket you don't get them, and if you don't get them you are at risk. My son would die without his meds - they are not optional.

Here are some examples: D ying without insurance

Pharmaceutical companies have always had Patient assistance programs available for the uninsured and still do. I had used it in the past when I was uninsured and the monthly prescription was 1500.00! I only had to pay $60 after filing for their assistance. These are not state or federal assistant programs...it is run by the companies themselves. Anyone who is in need financially and uninsured would not die because of lack of mandated insurance covering their prescriptions.

Edit add: Adding an article that provides links to the assistance programs that include assistance with chemotherapy! Source Link

Perhaps, someone reading this post may find it helpful.
edit on 7 28 2017 by CynConcepts because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 08:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Here's a link that includes a table with the number of expected losses per State (it's the 22 million broken down by State).

Coverage Losses by State for the Senate Health Care Repeal Bill

It should be eye opening, but like I said earlier, I've concluded that they just don't care. Look at their responses in any of the single payer healthcare threads & it'll make sense.

ETA: And don't forget this one: If Republicans simply repeal the entire ACA, it will bring back the "preexisting conditions" situation. But we're supposed to believe these people are pro-life. Yeah right.
edit on 28-7-2017 by enlightenedservant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Two reasons for that:

1. Medical costs would have risen no matter what system we had, and they had been rising at a much higher rate per year prior to the ACA.

BUT it rose more, you say - and more in some areas and for some people than others. Yes, that's true.

That brings us to the second reason health insurance costs spiked: Republicans!!!

2. Thank your Republican Congress for underfunding the part of the ACA that helped insurance companies manage their risk.

They paid out only 12% of what insurance companies expected and thus the spike in premiums as insurance companies had to raise rates to manage the risk without the support they were supposed to get.

The Reps called it "corporate subsidies" like that was something they didn't like.

Then they went to their constituents wringing their hands and pointing to the mess they'd just made and the extra money YOU would have to spend and said "Obama!"

They've done everything they could legally to make the law not work.

edit on 28-7-2017 by AboveBoard because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 08:14 AM
link   
a reply to: AngryCymraeg

John McCain waved his finger at the people of Arizona. We are a state with a lot of early retirees. Many of us were forced into low wage jobs (AHCCCS lobbied for no increase in minimum wage) or early retirement. We own our homes yet cannot scrape together enough money for rising healthcare insurance. Medicaid or no healthcare becomes our only two options. Medicaid gives our children's inheritance to the State through TEFRA leins. No healthcare gets us penalized. We lose no matter what. There are more of us in this category than most realize. It was us he flipped off last night.

Cheaper insurance for older people would have gone a long way to protect our assets from falling into the States hands. I'm healthy. Don't need maternity insurance. Don't need substance abuse rehab insurance. Don't need mental health insurance. etc. But law doesn't allow cheaper options for those of us who chose a lifetime if living healthy.
edit on 28-7-2017 by 2gd2btru because: Addition

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 08:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: mymymy
a reply to: enlightenedservant

I've concluded that they just don't care who dies over it.

That's the mindset of the typical conservative "Christian". Money over everything

I only speak for myself, but my mindset is providing for my family is more important than providing healthcare for a segment of the population. I currently pay 892/month for health insurance for a family of 4. We're all in good health too. The sad part is if I ever really needed to use this healthcare plan, I'd have to dole out 5,000 first to cover the deductible. To top it off, we're already being warned of another price increase next year.

So on that note, everytime I see someone supporting the ACA all I hear them say is "Quit whining about your unaffordable health insurance, so you will keep subsidizing mine." It's not that I don't have empathy for others. It's that the continued price increases are killing my chance to keep a roof over my children's head.
edit on 28-7-2017 by Middleoftheroad because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-7-2017 by Middleoftheroad because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 08:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

Except I know in at least Murkowski's case she was representing the will of the people of Alaska. Leading up to this vote there was a large grassroots effort in Alaska contacting the Senators and asking that they vote against repeal. So based off the data that Murkowski had she believed that her constituents wanted her to vote against repeal.

So why should we be deriding and attacking her because she actually did her job? Senators aren't voted in to vote along party lines. They are there as a representative of the people from their state. It's refreshing to see a Senator actually remember that fact instead of just voting the same way as the person sitting next to them.

Hmmm.

Health care, like just about everything in Alaska, is expensive. The official poverty threshold for a family of four in Alaska is $6,000 higher than that of the contiguous states

The Trump administration will send Alaska $48 million to stabilize its health insurance markets and offset the costs of especially high-cost patients. It expects, however, that the program won't cost the federal government a dime. Instead, the Trump administration will recoup all that money in the form of less spending on Obamacare subsidies because premiums in the market would decline

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join