It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas School District Preparing to Bring the Paddle Back

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 10:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
Texas where everyone has a gun.

Some of those kids just might take sweet revenge or the parents. One principal get shot by some hot head or get his teeth knocked out...that paddling BS will come to an abrupt end....believe me.

You reap what you sow......Galatians 6.7 They should know this in Texas!

What about, "Spare the rod and spoil the child"? They also know this in Texas. The paddling has gone on in many school districts in Texas since the first wooden schools were put up in the 1800s....y'all imagine this is a new thing and all kinds of horrible things will happen if Little Junior SOB gets his come-uppance.

Pffffft. That would only occur in a school that was full of insolent, unruly little beasties who could get away with everything, and then it suddenly stopped. For the majority of Texan children, who live in rural or semi-rural areas, corporal punishment is expected and part of the culture.

Go to a small town there sometime and watch the little cowpokes open doors for women. If they don't their momma or daddy will discipline them on their poor manners, most often with a light pop upside the head with a hat.

Again, coming from California, where the kids are rude, mouth off to adults and tell teachers to shove it, it was wonderful to see things like kids who were taught to say "Yes ma'am" and "No ma'am", as opposed to, "Yeah", "No", or "Whatever".

Long live the paddle!

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I don't think strangers should have that right to spank anyones kid. And the way things are now, can't say that I'd trust the teachers these days, half of them are perverse or in the news for doing things that deserve a prison sentence, no one really knows who these people are walking down the halls of schools.

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 10:48 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

The usual time out type stuff with loss of privilege. Most every educational/child care type facility has its hands tied in that regard. That's why this is making some kind of news - it's unusual.

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 10:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: SleepyDude
I don't think strangers should have that right to spank anyones kid. And the way things are now, can't say that I'd trust the teachers these days, half of them are perverse or in the news for doing things that deserve a prison sentence, no one really knows who these people are walking down the halls of schools.

When I was growing up if you messed up you got belted, hell our friends parents had permission to slap us around if we messed up, no where was safe. School was the worst they had the biggest and basest weapons. The fear the paddle put into us was enough of a deterent o stay squeaky clean.

#bringbackthepaddle

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 10:57 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

A psycho or two with a paddle in charge of a few hundred kids shouldn't make any parent feel better about their kid being belted. Like I said, you don't know who these adults really are, they could be pedo's or just plain sadistic. I've seen lots of stories about teachers who shouldn't be teachers to safely say #disciplineyourownchild-don't leave it to strangers to do it for ya.

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Ha!

My Dad's motto was.... get a paddling at school, and come home afterwards to get one ten times worse from me!!!

So, you know... I knew. If I got into that kind of trouble at school, I'd only get it worse at home.

Funny...the snowflake era....should I draw a corre.... nahhh

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 11:05 PM
link   
a reply to: FHomerK

Yea, that society doesn't exist anymore. You'd be hard pressed to find a school where a majority of the parents spank their kids let alone, allow another to do so.

The reason it worked then is because everyone else was on board (
) with similar ideals and standards.

Are you attempting to point out some sort of flakeyness in my posts?
edit on 27-7-2017 by JinMI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I think it's a good idea. Maybe kids will stop wearing pants off there butts and properly wear them how there suppose to be worn.

edit on 27-7-2017 by Diabolical1972 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 11:08 PM
link   
a reply to: SleepyDude

This is a problem in all fields of work, some people get into careers they shouldn't, you have to make money, you dont have to have high moral standards.

Teachers in general, like police, doctors etc are good decent people, there are a few that are not though and we cant paint them all with a broad brush .

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 11:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
a reply to: TheScale

Fair enough. Doesn't sound unreasonable. Now how about this. What if your child was the only one. Or one of ten, twenty out of a school of 1000?

then they set a great example for the others to not screw up and have to endure that shame. or do u mean the only one whos signed up for the punishment? if so then id have a problem with it. these are just false dichotomies and while your focusing on the 1% of situations that can go wrong, generally it will be carried out properly. we are humans so mistakes will always be made but in the big picture there is far more good to come from such discipline then bad.

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 11:20 PM
link   

There should be consequences to bad behavior but I can't see this as being the answer. Good parenting is.

Unfortunately, there's a lot of bad parents out there. When they took away the paddle, student respect for their teachers and staying out of trouble went out the door. There's no real consequences for poor and disruptive behavior in the schools today.

The Texas plan has to get the ok from the parent before they could even be allowed to paddle the student. If the parent says no, their kids have a free pass to continue disrespecting their teachers and disrupting the education of their fellow students. I wouldn't be surprised if the good parents allowed paddling and the bad parents disallowed it! Sometimes the parents are just as bad as their kid! Some are even scared of their own kids! (I've had students whose father or uncles are in jail). They graduate and I later read about them getting arrested for some crime or murder. They just follow the same poor parental or relative role models who engaged in criminal activity!

The only alternative to the paddle would be removing them from the classroom and assigning them something like a boot camp where they would be required to wake up at 6 a.m. and be drilled by a retired drill sergeant to run and exercise these kids for 3 days straight. I would even have them clean the school's bathrooms! I'm sure after 3 days, of being yelled at and running their butts off and cleaning toilets, they would quickly change their attitude!

If paddling or being placed in a boot camp for 3 days will change a kid's attitude and possibly prevent him from getting involved in gangs, crime or even murder upon graduating from high school, it's certainly worth it! You have to remember, most of these kids who would be subject to corporal punishment are mostly those kids that have a continuous reputation of causing trouble in the school.

Spend a day walking the halls and sitting in an inner-city school classroom and you'll quickly realize some of these kids are get no discipline at home, lack any sense of morals, nor do they have fear of lame slap-on-the-wrist consequences!

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 11:21 PM
link   

How is it a false dichotomy when it states in the article that parents can readily opt out?

This will be an accurate representation based on how many parents opt out and that conversation can go from what those findings are.

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Again, coming from California, where the kids are rude, mouth off to adults and tell teachers to shove it, it was wonderful to see things like kids who were taught to say "Yes ma'am" and "No ma'am", as opposed to, "Yeah", "No", or "Whatever".
a reply to: FissionSurplus

They're not just in California! Their in many inner-city schools across this country!

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 11:25 PM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

I agree. I have seen first hand and more recently been through the kids halls to see exactly that.

To reiterate my point, this will only have a chance to work if ALL are on board, not just some. To that, if the same type of punishment isn't met at home or in equal measure at home, then it will fail.

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 11:36 PM
link   
All it will take is for some perv teacher or principal to inappropriately sexually "touch" while administering the punishment. I doubt if getting a pedophile tag will go over good with the board of education.

The lawyers are already drawing up the legal documents in anticipation of just such an event.

They better video all punishment events to avoid getting their ass sued. And that also opens up another can o worms.

edit on 28-7-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 12:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

How is it a false dichotomy when it states in the article that parents can readily opt out?

This will be an accurate representation based on how many parents opt out and that conversation can go from what those findings are.

false dichotomies are used to force someone to defend the most extreme position such as talking about the school administration as if every one of them is incompetent and cant be trusted to deal out the punishment. i wasnt referring to opting in our out at as part of the false dichotomy. its in reference to the extreme situations u keep bringing up that are all negative when theres a whole spectrum of good and bad from such policies and u have to weigh them against each other.

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Corperal punishment is very ineffcetive.

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: InsaneIthorian

and S&M belongs in the home not in the classroom!!

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

originally posted by: InsaneIthorian

and S&M belongs in the home not in the classroom!!

Yup. As a teacher I can say I have better ways to get the bratts to sit down and shut up.

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 11:16 AM
link   
It's just a never ending ritual of "it wasnt like this in my day" and "kids are so pampered" for the last what? 2800 years?

How were kids disciplined in Herodotus' time?Because it's been going downhill since then.

I had a 400 mile walk to school when inwas a kid and if i misbehaved dad would strangle me with my own bowels, never did me any harm though.

Only POS parents need physical strikes to discipline a child. You hit your kid, its cos you failed as a parent, and you are paying for mistakes you made long before you "needed" to beat them.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join