It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas School District Preparing to Bring the Paddle Back

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 09:15 PM
link   

As part of a new policy that the Three Rivers Independent School District board approved Tuesday, the paddle, likely to be wood, will be used to administer corporal punishment when a student misbehaves at school.

Trustees voted 6-0 on the motion with one member absent. The policy states only a campus’ behavior coordinator or principal can administer the disciplinary measure.

Well, them kids better get ready for a paddlin

www.google.com...
edit on 27-7-2017 by Grik123 because: (no reason given)

Starting a New Thread?...Look Here First

AboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count.
Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread.
If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events,
or important information from other sites
please post one or two paragraphs,
a link to the entire story,
AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item,
as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

edit on Fri Jul 28 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 09:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Grik123

Source please?

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 09:16 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Added

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 09:18 PM
link   

As long as they are disarmed of guns, knives, pencils, and other sharp objects...paddle away! (Today's children would kill a teacher without batting an eye.)

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Dangerous precedent, especially given the times and state.

Parents will be able to decide, upon registering their children for the upcoming school year, whether they want to opt in or out. “If the parent is not comfortable with it, that’s the end of the discussion,” Three Rivers ISD Superintendent Mary Springs said.

This makes the whole idea not worth it. Why this was even thought of as a good idea, I will never know. Putting disciplinary actions over your child in someone else hands is a bad idea IMO. There should be consequences to bad behavior but I can't see this as being the answer. Good parenting is.

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Ah.....the glory years before "time outs".

I remember the paddle my principle had on the wall behind his desk in elementary school. 3 1/2' long and about 6 to 7" wide...it had holes in it to decrease wind resistance! Lol.

Yeah, that was a DEFINITE factor when one was called to his office.

This was early 80's in Dublin, Ca. ....surprising I know.

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 09:26 PM
link   

I think I'm going to swoon. . . .

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Web cam and a paddle. The webcam can help avoid abuse claims and the paddle will take the smart assery out of a lot of the kids.

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 09:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

Dangerous precedent, especially given the times and state.

Parents will be able to decide, upon registering their children for the upcoming school year, whether they want to opt in or out. “If the parent is not comfortable with it, that’s the end of the discussion,” Three Rivers ISD Superintendent Mary Springs said.

This makes the whole idea not worth it. Why this was even thought of as a good idea, I will never know. Putting disciplinary actions over your child in someone else hands is a bad idea IMO. There should be consequences to bad behavior but I can't see this as being the answer. Good parenting is.

Lack of good parenting is why it should be reinstated. It was the norm back then and completely acceptable, good parenting or not, it was about consistency.

What you got at home was no different than what you got at school.

Can't institute something like this during junior high or high school. It has to start from K-6 to be effective.

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 09:28 PM
link   
This is a dumb idea. The school will quickly get sued for child abuse, even if the parents consent.

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 09:28 PM
link   
can we replace the useless gym class with martial arts?

maybe they will have more respect and discipline then

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I like the idea.
My elementary school principal had one in the mid 70s although I never had the misfortune to have it used on me, it was a deterrent.
I knew a few kids that did get it though and it straightened pretty much all of them out.
A lot of kids need something like this nowadays, right up to the college kids.

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I think the parents should be the ones disciplining their children and not the state. Hopefully the parents will have some kind of choice in the matter, if not then that is wrong and they should be given the choice.

ETA: I see they do have a choice, that's good.
edit on 7/27/2017 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 09:35 PM
link   
a reply to: EternalShadow

How long before the administration is met with hostility and violence? Just curious. Not to mention not having all students subjected to the punishment creates an atmosphere where prison rules would undoubtedly rule.

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 09:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
I think the parents should be the ones disciplining their children and not the state, hopefully the parents will have some kind of choice in the matter, if not then that is wrong in my opinion.

The problem is a lot parents don't discipline them.
The back of my fathers hand and his belt were a pretty good deterrent from being stupid.

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 09:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: RazorV66
A lot of kids need something like this nowadays, right up to the college kids.

While completely true, they need it from their parents, not their school.

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 09:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

How long before the administration is met with hostility and violence? Just curious. Not to mention not having all students subjected to the punishment creates an atmosphere where prison rules would undoubtedly rule.

It didn't back then, what has changed to give you that point of view now?

Progress??

That's debatable.

edit on E31America/ChicagoThu, 27 Jul 2017 21:40:38 -05007pmThursdayth09pm by EternalShadow because: add

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 09:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: RazorV66

I think the parents should be the ones disciplining their children and not the state, hopefully the parents will have some kind of choice in the matter, if not then that is wrong in my opinion.

The problem is a lot parents don't discipline them.
The back of my fathers hand and his belt were a pretty good deterrent from being stupid.

And if I got paddled at school , I had to face the "Wrath of Dad" when I got home
Now , the kids just do as they please with no fear of punishment

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 09:41 PM
link   

I think the parents should be the ones disciplining their children and not the state. Hopefully the parents will have some kind of choice in the matter, if not then that is wrong and they should be given the choice.

ETA: I see they do have a choice, that's good.

Sounds like you didn't read it.
The parents are given a choice- but imo, they shouldn't be.

It's not about beating children- we were all once children, nobody wants to be beaten.

What reasonable well rounded adult doesn't know at least one # head kid with parents who let them get away with things they shouldn't have?
All of those kids are now # head adults, and most of them have kids off their own... Who don't understand the meaning of no.

If you've never seen a kid refuse the idea of no, you know why this idea is coming back.
Now we've got adults, with children, neither of which understand the idea of "no!"

It makes true freedom hard, when one person doesn't understand the concept that they're stepping on another person.

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 09:41 PM
link   

"Back then" is not today, at least in any meaningful way. Paddling select middle school kids is not going to do more good than harm. If this were a school wide program, I may change my mind about it.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join